Well, I've decided to stay Athlon

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, I've decided to stay with my Athlon for the next few months...why? Well, because I know I can squeeze a lot more IPC out of that thing by simply moving to a 166MHz DDR RAM and 166MHz FSB. I have a 1.33GHz + 256MB PC133 CL2 RAM. I have my RAM at maximum settings but even then, it's holding me back a bit, With a 166MHz FSB, I think I can break the 200 FPS barrier in Quake III at 1024*768*32 using the Quake III Athlon Optimization patch. I already get ~175fps.

I know, I know that Quake III doesn't mean anything, but at least, I should notice the same performance improvement in most of my games, especially after ATI releases their HBC Fix.

Today I'll probably take my first step by replacing my loud HSF with some AS3 and a Volcano 7.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well, I'd have to say I'm happy to hear your going to stick with the AMD Route....No one knows how long Intel is going to stick with Socket 478 anyways.......you can now look forward to T-Bred and many other things =)

As for the SDRAM holding you back....I also have 256MB of PC-133 CL2 SDRAM, and according to Sandra's Memory Benchmark, mine EQUALS some, Edges out others on the DDR Scene......... =) I'm not running DDR Though =)~

And yes, I'm on the most aggressive timings too.......but it probably has something to with me Having my FSB @ 150....but still, I think its very impressive.....I say don't ditch it till necessary.......give yourself soemtime to see what new comes out, wait for Ram prices to drop...$120.00(cdn) for PC2100 256MB DDR is Ridiculous.......anyways...have fun.... :wink:

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I never said I'm going to upgrade everything right away. I'm still hoping DDR will drop to under $100CDN in a month or two. However, that may be unlikely. I just hope, that, at the very least, they don't go up again by the time I make my purchase.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I never said you were going to upgrade right away......as far as the prices goign up....I hope not either, i'll be pissed off, If only I baught like 5 sticks of 256 back in October when it was $30!!!! Pisses me off now....well, thats for SDRAM anyways, but i'd still egt good use out of it, than I could sell it all, i know people who'd buy the ram off me, especialyl since prices are $99 for 256MB of PC-133 now...i'll sell it for $75 per stick, and assuming i baught ir back than for the $30 per stick.....big profit, and to them, there still saving money... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
whatever makes you happy AMD_Man...anyways...about the volcano 7's auto variable speed control thing....im not too fond of it because it uses the case temps rather than the cpu temps to vary its fan speed.
so...if you have a good air flow going in your case...the volcano 7 will be running at minimal speeds when your cpu is dying at 65C+(that is if you are at full load)....i would advise reconsideration of the volcano 7....if i were you...i would stick with the good old volcano 6.

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
never said I'm going to upgrade everything right away. I'm still hoping DDR will drop to under $100CDN in a month or two. However, that may be unlikely. I just hope, that, at the very least, they don't go up again by the time I make my purchase.

All ram prices are going up, You had better buy it soon, because it is going to go back to pre downswing levels again.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
Hey well whatever you beleive is good, do it...
We're enthusiasts, we try things.
However I beleive you'd be better off getting a Tbred later on, rather than squeezing your Athlon 1.33 to 166MHZ FSB and Memory, as I don't see the biggest jump in that. Unless I am wrong and you are going to get a Tbred and overclock it, you should wait and do that.

Regarding the Volcano 7, nice to hear you following my advice, and although some have gripes, here's my status:
-Nice silent at most times.
-With 2 Case fans, one exhaust and one front blowing, you will get at least 43º max like I do. The HSF will spin at 4000-4300 RPM usually, and that means it's not noisy at all. But if your room is hot and you have no case fans, expect 4500-5000RPM and a very noisy computer. This is how it works, but for me, after getting those 2 case fans, it has been lovely. I guess at the sake of getting new technology, it has to increase in noise too! Miss my old P2 350MMX before I traded it in! So silent...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Shoot, this sucks! Just when i decide to stay with my Athlon, more P4 mobos are now available at Canada Computers for dirt cheap and DDR RAM prices are up while RDRAM prices are down.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
What the f*ck is wrong with Canada? only now you get DDR for P4?

Here in Israel - in the 3rd world middle of nowhere! we have DDR with P4 including the SIS755 and i845 and P4 1.6A 1.8A 2.0A 2.2A most of them available almost at lunch...

im thinking that the best routh now is a P4 1.6A with an ABIT i845 mobo...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What the f*ck is wrong with Canada? only now you get DDR for P4?

Here in Israel - in the 3rd world middle of nowhere! we have DDR with P4 including the SIS755 and i845 and P4 1.6A 1.8A 2.0A 2.2A most of them available almost at lunch...

im thinking that the best routh now is a P4 1.6A with an ABIT i845 mobo...
What are you talking about?

DDR P4 motherboards have been here in Canada for ages. But new P4 motherboards keep arriving to local shops. We have everything. I assume you're talking about the ABit BD-7 right? I would agree for the most part.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you want to buy the P4?

if you have a good board, you could get to 200 MHz (400 MHz DDR) FSB pretty easily, like the Iwill XP333! I suggest you stay with the Athlon.

Anyway, Athlon XP2000+ is roughly P4 2200, or you can say the P4 2200 is roughly XR1677! (XP relative performane index!)

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But it's cheaper to get a P4 1.6A and a good overclocking board, such as the ABit TH7-II, ABit BD-7, and the Asus P4S333, as well the MSI 645 Ultra.

eden

Champion
Dude despite any techie's ideas, the RDRAM should've been cheaper anyday!! It uses cheap 16 bit paths, and runs at 800MHZ, but if we were to PR it, I'd say PR 333, not more. That's why DDR is costing more. Now wait for the PC1066 and see some fiasco in Canadian pricing!
DDR 400 Dual Channeled would've been just so damn sweet on P4... RDRAM is said to be better, but fake, just to attract more royalties, and to remain in the contract. http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/northwood shows you why the NW is still not better at 2.2GHZ, and that despite DDR being not the best on P4 (It needs 333 or DDR400 for extra power), you can just imagine Dual Channeled DDR on it, since it just waits for more bandwidth, proving its effectiveness more than the AthlonXP which does not need more at the moment.

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Dude despite any techie's ideas, the RDRAM should've been cheaper anyday!! It uses cheap 16 bit paths, and runs at 800MHZ, but if we were to PR it, I'd say PR 333, not more. That's why DDR is costing more. Now wait for the PC1066 and see some fiasco in Canadian pricing!
DDR 400 Dual Channeled would've been just so damn sweet on P4... RDRAM is said to be better, but fake, just to attract more royalties, and to remain in the contract. http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/northwood shows you why the NW is still not better at 2.2GHZ, and that despite DDR being not the best on P4 (It needs 333 or DDR400 for extra power), you can just imagine Dual Channeled DDR on it, since it just waits for more bandwidth, proving its effectiveness more than the AthlonXP which does not need more at the moment
I agree with you to a point, but no matter how you put it, RDRAM gives the best performance for the P4 at a price lower than even high-quality Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM.

eden

Champion
Yes that's true indeed... although the reason why I am so disregarding the P4, is that it's just embarassing how they use the technology now...
Nothing is exploited more than MHZ now... When I think I have such a processor, I see in it so much developped but instead, it isn't...
I just have a processor that has stuff like an FPU dating 486s or god knows when one unit was enough, and a cache even the 386 would find not enough, plus RAM that wastes my time Dual Channeling it for optimum performance. To me all this is embarassing. When I look at AthlonXPs, I see some pride in them, in AMD for pumping and exploiting up every nanometer of particles in it, for the best performance and leveled in any application, with no "holes" like the P4 when at 2GHZ still does not rival Athlon 1.33 in 3d Studio Max.
I know Overall performance is what we should look at, but like I described, I am just literally ASHAMED of how backwards has Intel gone for making this CPU.... There's no pride in it anymore...at least to me....
If I look at the P3, I feel more power, I feel QUALITY, I feel it can do something and I don't have to see any bad components or aging ones. Even though it performs less than Athlons at same speed, at least I get the above, and that's just fine.

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes that's true indeed... although the reason why I am so disregarding the P4, is that it's just embarassing how they use the technology now...
Nothing is exploited more than MHZ now... When I think I have such a processor, I see in it so much developped but instead, it isn't...
I just have a processor that has stuff like an FPU dating 486s or god knows when one unit was enough, and a cache even the 386 would find not enough, plus RAM that wastes my time Dual Channeling it for optimum performance. To me all this is embarassing. When I look at AthlonXPs, I see some pride in them, in AMD for pumping and exploiting up every nanometer of particles in it, for the best performance and leveled in any application, with no "holes" like the P4 when at 2GHZ still does not rival Athlon 1.33 in 3d Studio Max.
I know Overall performance is what we should look at, but like I described, I am just literally ASHAMED of how backwards has Intel gone for making this CPU.... There's no pride in it anymore...at least to me....
If I look at the P3, I feel more power, I feel QUALITY, I feel it can do something and I don't have to see any bad components or aging ones. Even though it performs less than Athlons at same speed, at least I get the above, and that's just fine.
There are no "holes" in the P4s performance, it's just that the Athlon has an extra FPU unit. It's quite a well known fact that you need a P4 runs at ~3GHz to match a 1.2Ghz Athlon's FPU performance. Of course, Intel is trying to hide it's poor FPU performance with their influence by getting programmers to use SSE2. In any case, the way I see it right now, each CPU has it's advantages vs. it's disadvantages, and it's nearly impossible to choose the better CPU overall (at least for me it is).

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
SSE2 is actually worse at most progrems then a well writen x86/87 for the athlon...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
But it's cheaper to get a P4 1.6A and a good overclocking board, such as the ABit TH7-II, ABit BD-7, and the Asus P4S333, as well the MSI 645 Ultra.

You should get an axp 1700+ and run it at 166fsb, it will run about 2050+ and no unlocking is needed, that with the faster fsb I would imagine you would be approaching the performance of a p4@2.4ghz.

For less than the 1.6a!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree with you to a point, but no matter how you put it, RDRAM gives the best performance for the P4 at a price lower than even high-quality Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM.

You say even as if the crucial is the cheapest, in fact you can find plenty of ddr cheaper than the cheapest rdram, as my posts to ray proved.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
IIB is right, a fully optimised sse2 app will run as good or better on an athlon as a p4, sse is to make up for the lack of fpu power, not set it appart.

(evidence, very few sse2 apps show the p4 in a dominating way)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You say even as if the crucial is the cheapest, in fact you can find plenty of ddr cheaper than the cheapest rdram, as my posts to ray proved.
I don't want to start an argument with you on RAM prices, so I'll just give you that one, hehe. :wink:

eden

Champion
Just imagine how dumb it was to create a new technology, cripple it by FPU and claim it will be used only to compensate for the lost FPU. Talk about advantage-wise methods, this one loses royally! Just imagine if they just added back what they took....just imagine...yes it would deeply affect performance, they are the center of integrity of the CPU, they are the essential stuff that makes MHZ affect it all.

--