debgk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
My new system will use the Intel D850 MV board (I don't care about overclocking/ and don't play many games on it).

It's 478 pin - I'm thinking future processor upgradability here.

I'm trying to decide between a 1.8 vs 2.0 cpu -- both have 512 cache.

I read about the noticeable speed difference with the 2.2, but am not sure that the 1.8 vs. 2.0 is really all that significant. Would it be worth the extra $200?? (money I'd rather spend on more ram).

I'm leaning towards the 1.8 cpu because I doubt I'd notice a different. System is for desktop publishing/graphics/ multimedia (ie: Indesign, Powerpoint, a LOT of photoshop and illustrator work, Director 8, etc).

Any advice?

Thanks!

deb

G

1.8 - $316
2.0 - $577
$261 difference, I would pick the 1.8, I rather put more money on other parts. maybe get more ram. The difference is very little, also the slowest part in your system is the HD, I rather use that amount to get a faster HD

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i agree...i would go for the 1.8 and save whtever leftover cash you have for other stuff...
and if you ever do want to overclock...i hear the 1.8 is a great overclocker...

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

G

I also agree, the 1.8 is the better bang for your buck. Do something else with that cash that will most likely improve your comp even more than those 200 mhz would have.

Good Luck

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
those prices are way out of line if they are in USD..I will say this though .. I have a 2.0a and ddr 333 we built a intel 850 with the 1.8a and rdram for my neighbor to be honest as you don't game or OC go with the 1.8 by all means it is a good value you won't regret with not noticable difference in ordinary use from the 2 ghz( 1.8 is about 225 USD)

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Hmmm you seem to be doing all the stuff that requires a lot of calculations... May I suggest a different path?
As you can see, stuff like Photoshop, and multimedia apps that use FPU and such, can easily be more performant on the AthlonXP. If you do need some proof, I suggest you go visit www.anandtech.com and check some multimedia benchs in 2D stuff or drawing. I am more than sure you will be more satisfied and save money on an AXP 1800, around lower than the 1.8A, with a nice motherboard like the Epox EP-8KHA+, which isn't costly and has the KT266A chipset, and 512MB DDR. This should give you a system far above the 1.8A in almost everything. I guarantee you however the XP is better at handling these apps. I don't you're overclocking so the XP will remain the better choice. If you were OCing, by all means save money and get a 1.6A and OC it to 2.2 or above, then the value is truly worth every penny. (save about 400$)

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
If you're already thinking about the upgrade don't drop the extra bundle on a small bit more of processing power. Pick up a 1.6A for $148 at Newegg and wait until the 3.0's are at or near $100 sometime down the road. This seems to be almost a no-brainer (I just went thru the same thought process and picked the 1.6A myself).

-Rick

If you go with ddram, why not get one of the sis 645 boards, such as the msi 645 ultra ($73), or my choice the epox ep-4sda+ (with raid and ata 133 $99 newegg). With this mobo, you can set the fsb jumper to 133, and literally boot up with the default cpu voltage with many 1.6a and 1.8a cpus. You get an extra 500 megs of speed for free. It doesn't hurt the cpu as long as you don't have to increase the voltage and your memory is stable. It's a no brainer. I used my plain old vanilla micron pc2100 left over from my athlon system, and ordered more, while some venders are still offering good deals. Memory prices are rising daily.