stepping code

G

ive been reading other forums and ran across a discussion about stepping codes. the only thing is that i have no clue what the hell they are talking about(hehe). can anyone shed some light on what it is or point me in the direction so i can read up on it...im just curious..thanx

FatBurger

Illustrious
Stepping codes are found at the beginning of the second line on top of your Athlon. Examples: "AXIA", "AVIA", "AYHJAR", etc.

They're basically different batches, and newer ones overclock better.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Ok... here's the obvious follow-up question....

How do we know which batch is 'newer'?

Is there a place to see when each batch was made or something?

FatBurger

Illustrious
There is a website that has a database of Athlon CPUs by stepping, showing you how far each will overclock. Can't remember which site it is, though. I'll probably remember, give me a few minutes.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
:eek:
I hope they get the new site up soon.

Thanks, it obviously was taking me more than a few minutes to remember :tongue: