Jrakosik

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Ok, The machine I have now I'm about to sell, and put that money into a new machine.. I'm going the AMD route (first time for me with AMD's)... but I noticed the mp is out.. does anyone have any info (links?) about the main differences between the xp chip and MP chip?
I'm not running a server, or anything like that... does the MP give bettet performance over the XP chip?

Thanks,

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
All the mp offers is the fact it was tested and is waranteed to work in dual cpu systems.

They come factory unlocked tho.

Get an axp, it will perform the same as a mp.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, just as mat said, XP is officially validated to work in dual processting systems, if you are planning on a dual-Athlon system (with a board like Asus A7M266-D) you might want to consider the Athlon MP, else XP is fine. MP is a lot costlier than XP, but even in dual systems, XP should work, although it isnt officially supposed to!

its beleived that MP gives slightly better performance than the XP, but i would say its not worth what you pay for the MP!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Jrakosik

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
When you say factory unlocked, you mean the muliplier correct? for overclocking?
So if overclocking was something I'd think of doing sometime down the line an MP could be a good choice?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
When you say factory unlocked, you mean the muliplier correct? for overclocking?
So if overclocking was something I'd think of doing sometime down the line an MP could be a good choice?

I mean it comes from the factory with the l1 bridges closed, so you can set the multiplier at will.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!