I have a small problem that I need some advice about...
I have my cpu/motherboard/memory for about 20 months now,
and I think its time to upgrade.
I have a 700mhz Athlon and a Asus K7V motherboard with 384MB of SDRAM (133mhz).
now, my question is this.. I have had my eye for some time now on the Athlon XP 1600, but my problem is that quite some time has passed and I don't want to buy the damn cpu and then find out 2 weeks later that another cpu has come out.
I know I am raising a problem that surrounds the entire computer industry, why buy something if something better will come out soon,
but the athlon XP series has been out for a few months, isn't it logical that a new series will show up soon?
and with it a new set of motherboard (which I am going to have to buy anyway) and maybe 333mhz DDR memory will be more populer and cheaper in a months.
so in short,
my question is this...
When do you forsee the next cpu series from intel/amd.
is it very very soon??
should I wait??
and I know that even if a new series come out, and its probably too expensive, the new series will trigger a price drop in the old series so I would be able to buy the cpu I want for much less..
I hope you catch my drift, since I think I have allready written too much.
its a problem we all face bud. whenever we get something new in time something better will come out. just a matter of months or weeks.
af for whats comming out, Intel have allready taken their "big move" with the release of the Pentium4 'A' or northwood.
current top line chip is the 2.2A, but in the commming months we will see progressivly faster northwoods up to around 3Ghz, and the introduction of the 533Mhz system bus sometime around midyear.
As for AMD, the XP line of processors is expected to go up to XP2200+, running at a rather toasty 1800Mhz. and within a month or two we will see AMD's first 0.13micron chips released, the much awaited Thouroughbred (tbred). these will obviously go much higher.
as for now, there is definately nothing wrong with getting an XP1600/1700 and a KT266A motherboard. combining the two will give u a blazingly fast system.
advantages of DDR333 (PC2700) motherboards and ram at the moment is limited... what we need is tbred CPU's with the same system bus speed. i.e. 166(333) instead of the current 133(266).
there is, of course, always the option of getting an XP, unlocking it, and running it and the ram at 333 for superior memory bandwidth!
The Thoroughbred is due out in the next couple of months, requiring a new motherboard- since the memory will be DDR333.
The Hammer is due out 4th quarter this year, and will be a fairly large leap in technology. Expect is around late September or so. If you can wait, i would wait on Hammer.
As for Intel, like the man said. Their big move is made. They will continue to increase the clock speed on Northwood for a while. But with each new chip, you generally have to buy a new mobo as well.
Go to www.xbitlabs.com for various roadmaps to see where companies are going.
Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
Thanks guys, you are helping me a lot,
but I still don't know what to do.
buy now? or wait for the hammer to fall...
I mean, buying a mir 1400mhz cpu when there is allready 2.2ghz out there seems stupid.
Don't get caught up in thinking that MHz is everything. Yes the 2.2GHz Northwood is faster than the AXP1600+ but is it that much faster that you're gonna want to pay for the difference. Don't look at the difference in MHz, look at the difference in benchmarks and see if the difference is worth paying for.
February 23, 2002 11:25:14 AM
Will there be any point in buying a hammer (the CPU), Or is it designed to be a server chip only? And as it is 64-bit, does this mean that its clock speed is effectivly doubled due to being able to hold 2 32 bit instructions at the same time? Im thinking that its not, but Im hoping yes.
Throughbred is the one for me I think. Will it require a new socket? Im not sure if a die shrink means you definatly have to change the socket to accomodate a smaller core.
of course I know that mhz is meaningless...
but none of you have answered my question yet...
so I'l put it down to you.
I have my eye on the Athlon XP 1600.
but its price has been steady for a long time. I think about 2 months.
should I buy now? or should I wait for the next price drop??
Check the availability of some of the XP chips. The lower end ones are selling out. So, you may find in a few weeks that you can't get the 1600, OR it may go up in price due to low availability. otoh, it may go down in price because the new T-bred is out or announced... Point is..it's anyone's guess what will happen.
When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
Right before the axp was released, the 1.4ghz tbird was selling for 93 bucks, a week after the axp was released the 1.4ghz tbird rose to 108, the reason being that because no more were going to be made the price rose due to a future percieved supply issue.
Buy the 1600+ now, the price may go down a buck or 3 in the next few weeks, but I guarentee you, that the price will go up a week after the tbred is released as the 1600+ gets shuffled off of the active core list.
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!