Warning about Dell Europe

I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
here and in other appropriate newsgroups.

Here are my issues:
1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
one. The other two packages were not delivered.
3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
ordered it.
4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
apartment.
5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
the other two packages.
6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
7. A week later they did so.
8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
bank account for the refund.
9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
responds.
11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.

Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
them?

I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
from them.

Rita Goldberg
14 answers Last reply
More about warning dell europe

    On 15 Oct 2004 08:57:35 -0700, Rita Goldberg wrote in

    > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    >
    > Here are my issues:
    > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > ordered it.

    Was that the time Dell gave on their website or over the phone when you
    ordered it that it would be delivered by?

    > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > apartment.
    > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > the other two packages.

    It sounds to me like your packages had the wrong address, were delivered to
    the wrong place, or UPS has a driver with questionable honesty. Did you
    check to make sure you gave Dell your correct address or that they had the
    correct address on the labels? Maybe someone at Dell typed it in wrong?
    If I give an address over the phone I always have them read it back to me.

    So far, this sounds like a problem with UPS, not Dell but Dell surely isn't
    squeaky clean here by not getting on UPS about the problems.

    > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > 7. A week later they did so.
    > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > bank account for the refund.
    > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > responds.

    Did you try calling them?

    > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.

    I doubt the police will be able to do anything more than tell you to get a
    lawyer and take them to civil court. Dell committed no crime here, they're
    just doing a bad job. UPS, on the other hand, might want to look into
    their driver.

    > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > them?
    >
    > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > from them.

    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Dell in Europe. I don't
    see if I'll ever be using them since I live here in the states, but I do
    know I won't use UPS if I'm shipping something to Europe. Heck, I don't
    even use them here in the states. :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this newsgroup?

    It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
    expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of an
    unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
    other side of the story?

    In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
    some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
    have you really accomplished?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    >
    > Here are my issues:
    > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > ordered it.
    > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > apartment.
    > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > the other two packages.
    > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > 7. A week later they did so.
    > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > bank account for the refund.
    > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > responds.
    > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    >
    > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > them?
    >
    > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > from them.
    >
    > Rita Goldberg

    Ted,

    > You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
    > newsgroup?

    I wouldn't call this post a flame. If you want to see flames, try rec.scuba,
    lots of flames.

    > It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
    > expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of
    > an
    > unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
    > other side of the story?

    That's sort of the nature of news groups isn't it? It's not exactly the
    presidental debates.

    > In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
    > some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
    > have you really accomplished?

    I would think he gave thoughts to consider if a reader of this group is from
    Spain.

    Paul

    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    >> I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    >> for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    >> of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    >> here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Here are my issues:
    >> 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    >> 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    >> one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    >> 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    >> three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    >> and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    >> ordered it.
    >> 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    >> there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    >> apartment.
    >> 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    >> agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    >> monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    >> the other two packages.
    >> 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    >> 7. A week later they did so.
    >> 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    >> bank account for the refund.
    >> 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    >> 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    >> responds.
    >> 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    >> been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    >> two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    >> on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    >>
    >> Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    >> luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    >> reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    >> them?
    >>
    >> I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    >> wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    >> from them.
    >>
    >> Rita Goldberg

    What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
    and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
    first message of this type in this NG.

    > You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
    newsgroup?

    > It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
    > expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis of
    an
    > unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing the
    > other side of the story?
    >
    > In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and garnered
    > some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but what
    > have you really accomplished?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Here are my issues:
    > > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > > ordered it.
    > > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > > apartment.
    > > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > > the other two packages.
    > > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > > 7. A week later they did so.
    > > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > > bank account for the refund.
    > > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > > responds.
    > > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    > >
    > > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > > them?
    > >
    > > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > > from them.
    > >
    > > Rita Goldberg

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:22:52 GMT, hicow wrote in

    > What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
    > and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
    > first message of this type in this NG.

    I believe "caution" should be used when dealing with any company especially
    when you receive a product through the mail. One of the biggest things is
    to make sure the company sending you the product you paid for has the
    correct mailing address and that if you have an odd or different address
    that there are instructions included to find the place you want the item
    delivered to.

    Of course, in this case I believe we're only getting half of the story.

    :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    >I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    >
    > Here are my issues:
    > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > ordered it.
    > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > apartment.
    > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > the other two packages.
    > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > 7. A week later they did so.
    > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > bank account for the refund.
    > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > responds.
    > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    >
    > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > them?
    >
    > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > from them.
    >
    > Rita Goldberg

    I had a somewhat similar problem with Dell in the US.

    Dell badly messed up an accessory order and after much back and forth,
    agreed to compensate me $100 for my trouble-- also to be posted in 21 days.
    The time came and went without any money coming my way, after numerous
    interchanges-- both phone and email-- said they would re-post/re-credit
    which they never did. I eventually returned the original item (a high end
    digital camera) and when they refused a refund, I had to dispute the charge
    to my credit card company and get them to do a charge back.

    The final insult: Dell eventually said they would still send me the $100 to
    express their regret for how they mishandled the whole thing--- but they
    never did!!

    I haven't purchased anything additional from Dell since. I also talked the
    IT director of my company into removing them from their vendor list (we were
    buying 30-40 Dell laptops a year). My company likes our new IBM's;-)

    Edw.

    David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<xc16pjocf0x9.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
    > On 15 Oct 2004 08:57:35 -0700, Rita Goldberg wrote in
    >
    > > I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Here are my issues:
    > > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > > ordered it.
    >
    > Was that the time Dell gave on their website or over the phone when you
    > ordered it that it would be delivered by?
    No, this was long after the date Dell gave me originally. They called
    me in Madrid to tell me the shipment would be delivered, but it
    wasn't, and no one at tell would tell me anything. After a week--which
    I guess is their standard time for working with UPS to search for lost
    items-- and after many e-mails and calls, I finally managed to speak
    with someone at Dell. Essentially, the person asked that they be
    given another chance. She agreed to my deadline for delivery of the
    three packages.
    > > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > > apartment.
    > > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > > the other two packages.
    >
    > It sounds to me like your packages had the wrong address, were delivered to
    > the wrong place, or UPS has a driver with questionable honesty. Did you
    > check to make sure you gave Dell your correct address or that they had the
    > correct address on the labels? Maybe someone at Dell typed it in wrong?
    > If I give an address over the phone I always have them read it back to me.
    > So far, this sounds like a problem with UPS, not Dell but Dell surely isn't
    > squeaky clean here by not getting on UPS about the problems.

    My order was placed online, and the address was correct and perfectly
    clear. I can't know who is at fault here, Dell or UPS, but Dell was
    most unresponsive. On the day of my deadline, UPS called to say that
    they would deliver the three packages separately. The CPU arrived in
    the morning, and after debating with myself, I accepted it. The other
    two packages never did come, apparently because of an address problem.

    > > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > > 7. A week later they did so.
    > > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > > bank account for the refund.
    > > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > > responds.
    >
    > Did you try calling them?
    Of course, but (1) the person can't/won't tell me anything or (2) they
    don't return my calls.

    > > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    >
    > I doubt the police will be able to do anything more than tell you to get a
    > lawyer and take them to civil court. Dell committed no crime here, they're
    > just doing a bad job. UPS, on the other hand, might want to look into
    > their driver.
    Although it's quite possible that the police can't do much, I want to
    get this matter on the record. Have you noticed the number of
    messages about problems that are similar to mine?

    > > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > > them?
    > >
    > > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > > from them.
    >
    > Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Dell in Europe. I don't
    > see if I'll ever be using them since I live here in the states, but I do
    > know I won't use UPS if I'm shipping something to Europe. Heck, I don't
    > even use them here in the states. :-)
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,
    It's really quite hard to say who is at fault, Dell or UPS. In any
    case, Dell computers in Europe come from Ireland and the Netherlands.
    The truth is that I've never had any problems with UPS in the U.S. or
    in Spain. Another thing, when the CPU was finally picked up, it
    wasn't UPS but some other company that specializes in shipping
    computers.

    There seems to have been quite a bit of incompetence at play here. In
    addition, the people at Dell have been extremely unhelpful. There's
    just no way to pry information out of them. I don't know if this is
    an outsourcing issue or not. Dell used to have a setup in Madrid, but
    they are now located in France. Support for Spain seems to come from
    several different places in the country.

    Rita

    Exactly. Of course, I wanted to vent, but I also wanted to make
    others aware of problems that can arise when ordering from Dell in
    Europe (or, at least, Spain). Since I assume that someone at Dell
    monitors this newsgroup, I'm also hopeful that they will eventually
    take steps to correct the problems.

    "hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message news:<MHTbd.702012$Gx4.332183@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> [...]
    > > > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > > > responds.
    > > > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > > > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > > > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > > > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    > > >
    > > > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > > > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > > > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > > > them?
    > > >
    > > > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > > > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > > > from them.
    > > >
    > > > Rita Goldberg

    "Since I assume that someone at Dell monitors this newsgroup..."

    That's not correct. This is a public newsgroup about Dell hardware. It is
    not operated by Dell or connected in any way with Dell.

    > Exactly. Of course, I wanted to vent, but I also wanted to make
    > others aware of problems that can arise when ordering from Dell in
    > Europe (or, at least, Spain). Since I assume that someone at Dell
    > monitors this newsgroup, I'm also hopeful that they will eventually
    > take steps to correct the problems.
    >
    > "hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message
    >> What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to
    >> them
    >> and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this
    >> is
    >> first message of this type in this NG.
    >>

    >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > You're angry at Dell...so part of your solution is to flame this
    >> newsgroup?
    >> >
    >> > It's not that I don't have sympathy for you - I do - but do you really
    >> > expect someone to decide against buying from Dell Europe on the basis
    >> > of
    >> an
    >> > unsubstantiated post from someone we don't know, and without knowing
    >> > the
    >> > other side of the story?
    >> >
    >> > In the end, you may have achieved some catharsis for yourself and
    >> > garnered
    >> > some empathy from others who feel they have been wronged by Dell, but
    >> > what
    >> > have you really accomplished?
    >> > --
    >> > Ted Zieglar
    >> >

    >> > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message

    At the end of the day this is what the global market is all about ie having
    the choice to choose - and IMHO every major company will have had customers
    with similar complaints somewhere in the world, and it doesn't matter who
    the company is Dell, IBM, HP whoever, for every bad experiance 1 customer
    has, they have 1000's of satisfied customers and at this moment in time the
    good out weighs the bad experiances and that goes for every major producer
    of goods they are big enough to take the knocks. While I can empathise with
    your anger and frustration and you have every right to "vent your Spleen"
    but in the end I dont think it would make much difference to Dell
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    >I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    >
    > Here are my issues:
    > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > ordered it.
    > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > apartment.
    > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > the other two packages.
    > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > 7. A week later they did so.
    > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > bank account for the refund.
    > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > responds.
    > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    >
    > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > them?
    >
    > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > from them.
    >
    > Rita Goldberg

    Steve,

    Companies ignore or ill treat their customers at their own peril. My
    university did not renew a large contract with Dell a couple of years
    ago, largely because of poor service, and this year we dropped
    Blackboard because they gave poor service at the same time that they
    raised their prices unreasonably. When this happens too often, your
    bad reputation keeps you from attracting new customers. It doesn't
    take an MBA--which I'm not--to know that good customer relations are
    at the heart of any successful business.

    Rita

    "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<cktdpk$1hk$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > At the end of the day this is what the global market is all about ie having
    > the choice to choose - and IMHO every major company will have had customers
    > with similar complaints somewhere in the world, and it doesn't matter who
    > the company is Dell, IBM, HP whoever, for every bad experiance 1 customer
    > has, they have 1000's of satisfied customers and at this moment in time the
    > good out weighs the bad experiances and that goes for every major producer
    > of goods they are big enough to take the knocks. While I can empathise with
    > your anger and frustration and you have every right to "vent your Spleen"
    > but in the end I dont think it would make much difference to Dell
    > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > >I am having some serious problems with a Dell order I placed online
    > > for delivery in Spain. Since a Google newsgroup search shows a number
    > > of messages describing the same issues, I've decided to post a warning
    > > here and in other appropriate newsgroups.
    > >
    > > Here are my issues:
    > > 1. Dell said they shipped my machine--but it was never delivered.
    > > 2. They said UPS had lost the CPU and that they would ship another
    > > one. The other two packages were not delivered.
    > > 3. I wanted to cancel my order but agreed to wait as long as the
    > > three packages arrived by my deadline--I was leaving town for a while
    > > and really didn't want a computer that arrived two months after I had
    > > ordered it.
    > > 4. Nothing arrived by the deadline Dell had agreed to. They said
    > > there was a problem with the labels and that UPS couldn't find my
    > > apartment.
    > > 5. After I returned from my two-week trip, Dell delivered the CPU. I
    > > agreed to accept it if they could deliver the other parts (keyboard,
    > > monitor) at the same time. They couldn't. They or UPS couldn't find
    > > the other two packages.
    > > 6. I said please cancel my order and to pick up the CPU.
    > > 7. A week later they did so.
    > > 8. I faxed a copy of the shipping document to Dell and gave them my
    > > bank account for the refund.
    > > 9. They said it would take 10-15 days. That was 21 days ago.
    > > 10. I have written numerous e-mail messages to Dell, but no one
    > > responds.
    > > 11. I wrote a final message today saying that if the money has not
    > > been transferred to my bank account by next Tuesday (I leave for a
    > > two-month trip out of the country on Thursday) I will go to the police
    > > on Wednesday--which I fully intend to do.
    > >
    > > Now one could think that all this was a series of mix-ups and bad
    > > luck, but the problems are exactly the same as those I have been
    > > reading about in this and other newsgroups. Doesn't Dell want to fix
    > > them?
    > >
    > > I've used Dell for years in the U.S., but something is definitely
    > > wrong in Europe. Save yourself some headaches, and don't buy from
    > > from them.
    > >
    > > Rita Goldberg

    "Caution" is certainly a good watchword, Dave. It's one reason why I
    prefer ordering online since you have a written record of your order
    and an e-mail confirmation from the vendor. In my case, the address is
    perfectly normal and appears correctly on my order. As for only
    having half the story, you are right here, also. It would be great to
    hear from Dell with their side. That, precisely, is one of my main
    issues: the lack of communication on Dell's part. I have some theories
    and some suggestions on this topic, but there's no point in setting
    them out here if Dell is not listening.

    Rita

    David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message news:<2q2fwoaenxrj.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>...
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:22:52 GMT, hicow wrote in
    >
    > > What has she accomplished? She's warned others that this can happen to them
    > > and they should use caution when dealing with Dell. It's not like this is
    > > first message of this type in this NG.
    >
    > I believe "caution" should be used when dealing with any company especially
    > when you receive a product through the mail. One of the biggest things is
    > to make sure the company sending you the product you paid for has the
    > correct mailing address and that if you have an odd or different address
    > that there are instructions included to find the place you want the item
    > delivered to.
    >
    > Of course, in this case I believe we're only getting half of the story.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Dave

    Well said Rita - and good decision making. You can only ever guess
    what problems you 'would have' had with a load of Dell's (although I
    think we both know the answer to that with a high degree of
    probability). I don't envy you making those choices, the wonderful
    'global market' offering a perception of almost unlimited choice is in
    reality amazingly limited, if you simply want something that 'works
    properly' and then 'keeps working' - tall order in 2004.

    "Kenny Ashton" <ashtonCUTTHIS@ctv.es> wrote in message
    > Well said Rita - and good decision making. You can only ever guess
    > what problems you 'would have' had with a load of Dell's (although I
    > think we both know the answer to that with a high degree of
    > probability). I don't envy you making those choices, the wonderful
    > 'global market' offering a perception of almost unlimited choice is in
    > reality amazingly limited, if you simply want something that 'works
    > properly' and then 'keeps working' - tall order in 2004.

    I'd also like to add that these (global) ordering and logistical systems
    seem to work wonderfully so long as NOTHING goes wrong. They generally work
    efficiently and quickly for the most part.

    However, if even ONE thing goes wrong, it can tip all of the dominoes and
    lead to a really rotten purchasing "experience", because it's apparently
    harder to to correct an existing transaction than to generate the original
    order and fill it. In effect, "plan B" is usually extremely painful.

    The problem, unfortunately, isn't limited to Dell.

    Stew

Dell Newsgroup Computers