Why no rumors about T-bred release?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, we've all seen the roadmaps, and revised roadmaps, and re-revised roadmaps...I need to build a new system soon so I can spend some money an organization want's to provide me for school related expenses. I'm running out of time and REALLY wanted to build a thoroughbred system, but see no encouraging rumors as to it's release date. Wanting the fastest system possible, I may end up having to buy the unthinkable-an overclockable Northwood! Say it isn't so! AMD, you should listen to this, you could loose a customer!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

eden

Champion
Lol Crash!
Yeah AMD has really been silent these days as if the Tbred is no biggie... I wish they'd talk, and if only they didn't need to wait for CeBIT!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

ben8128

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I want to build a system soon as well and I really want to use the Tbred with 166fsb...still don't know about that. And I want to in the next year! God dang AMD is really lagging.

Ben

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Does anyone know if it is true that the thouroughbred will indeed be running on a 166.66Mhz FSB? If that's so, then do we need to get a new motherboard & new chipset to go with it? Or is it still possible to stick with a motherboard with a chipset like the KT266A and good old PC-266 DDR?

"When there's a will, there's a way."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it doesnt look that way unfortunately... no 166fsb rumors at all.

think its cauz the majority of mobo's out there are still 266... and im assuming that they dont want to have the old athlon B or C scenario again... better and more cost effective just to have one line of processors rather than juggling the supples for two.

of course, there is always the overclocking option... and with luck the low level tbred's will perform like the proverbial P4 1.6A...
i.e. a 166fsb with the same multiplier :smile:

i hope, anyway.
yesterday i saw some figures for the tbred... but they looked just plain dodgey...
core voltage was 1.6, and the thermal output figures were way too high for a dieshrink... 60W or so for the 2000+ and 74W for 2500+

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Is it march yet crash?

They said by the end of march, maybe early april, they havent changed their position.

They dont need to, the top of the line axp is almost neck and neck with the 2.2nw, why release the new line untill its time.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
The big question is, how will the PR be affected in relation to MHZ increments?
Will they keep the 66MHZ-100PR Point average?
Or will they as they go up to 2100, use 100MHZ increments? I think it's better that way since the relativity remains constant, not PR having a 25% increase per new 66MHZ model, since it screws the entire comparison to Tbirds.

--

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
What about AMD upgrading the other features of the T-bred? Like, has there been any hearsay of a 512K L2 cache or a bigger L1 cache? Additionally, what PR level will the "new" AthlonXP start at? They gonna pickup at 2100 or go like intel and release an AthlonXP 1600+ T-bred for example?

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
not PR having a 25% increase per new 66MHZ model, since it screws the entire comparison to Tbirds.

the axp gains more performance per mhz than the tbird, to make the increase 1/1 THAT would screw up the performance relating to the tbird.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
What about AMD upgrading the other features of the T-bred? Like, has there been any hearsay of a 512K L2 cache or a bigger L1 cache? Additionally, what PR level will the "new" AthlonXP start at? They gonna pickup at 2100 or go like intel and release an AthlonXP 1600+ T-bred for example?

UNlike the transition from tbird to axp, this is simply a die shrink, they will back fill their speed ratings with the new chips as the older chips sell out purely because its cheaper to sell a tbred than an axp.

And I guarentee you that the lowest clock tbred will be on par or better than the 1600A NW in % overclockability, plus with multiplier unlocking you can truely unleash the power of the chip, no ram timings to hold you back.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Pst. I will let you in on a secret, Juin. DDR333 runs off a 166.6MHz external clock. It has been for sale for quite a while now, and is also known as PC2700 DDR-SDRAM.

The more accurate name is DDR333, which describes its effective clockspeed after accounting for the double-data-rate. The term PC2700 is just an inaccurate estimate of its bandwidth. (It actually offers 2666.6MB/s of bandwidth, not 2700MB/s.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
""no ram timing""??? DDR 333 timing issue at high speed.Anyway DDR 333 dont even exist.

A: ddr333 ddr333 does exist, I believe its being sold.

B: with multip[lier overclocking < i can run my cpu at any speed and keep my fsb at 133, the p4 cannot do this, and 9 times out of 10, the ram holds the p4s overclock back. With the tbred I would not have that issue.

eden

Champion
After reading the new article, keep in mind AMD may regain the race if all goes accordingly: The P4 2.53 and 2.6 with 533FSB is due out in JUNE 2002. This means AMD has the time to pull ahead and we just might not see Intel get the spotlight FOR US.

--

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Well I think that Intel and AMD will be close most of the year... now with AXP 2100+ AMD regains the lead... she will lose it again for the 2,4NW... regain it with T-bred lose it to 2.66 533MHZ bus NW and regains it with barton maybe... losses the lead to the 2.8NW and regains it with CLAWHAMMER 3400... and probably keeps the lead for a year or so (maybe until prescout core)... maybe more...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just want them to get the thing on the market before my aid package vanishes. Business is so poor right now I can't afford to buy anything I'm not selling.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Hey Mat, just looked at your profile and noticed you're with Fujitsu in Gresham; I have friends there (and some that used to be, if you know what I mean).

Best of luck in this economy....

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I used to work there, heh, know exactly what you mean lol.

PM me with some names and maybe I knew them!

PS: I think I may get a job with wafertech, who is a tsmc satelite company, I will be making gf3 cores and all manner of cool stuff.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The 66MHz jumps are because that's half of the 133MHz Bus. They are simply taking half clockmultiplier jumps up.

The P4 is making 100 Mhz jumps because they are doing full multiplier jumps. It looks like that will continue. The P4 wasn't gaining enough per halfstep to warrent releasing them as seperate CPUs (1.85, 1.75, ect). However, it will be interesting to see if AMD stops making the halfstep jumps and moves to full jumps, or perhaps to 166 FSB with 83 MHZ jumps

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
PS: I think I may get a job with wafertech, who is a tsmc satelite company, I will be making gf3 cores and all manner of cool stuff.

Looking at Nvidia's market stratergy, making GF3 cores doesn't sound like a secure venture to be in.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Is Wafertech the place in Camas? If so, I was looking at getting a job there. They have a pretty decent range of starting jobs, and good benefits.

BTW, DDR333 (PC2700) does exist, but it's merely PC2100 running out of spec. There is no JEDEC standard for PC2700 at the moment.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 02/25/02 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>