How to fry an egg on an XP

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Read about it <A HREF="http://www.tekforums.co.uk/posts.php?threadId=8414" target="_new">here</A>! It made me laugh and I just had to share it.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the information to which I have linked. I am also not claiming you cannot do the same thing on other processors.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
LOL!
At first I thought this was a troll post seeing the subject, but then I wondered: Ray did this??
Oh well after checking the link, I guess it is funny!
But ya gotta know that this is only AXP propaganda, and that it could have well been done on a P4 NW, only it'd take 15 min! :)

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yes it might take 15 minutes but it can be done. I suppose this is a value-add for the XP processor then. :)

I would bet the guy did not actually do anything with his system. He must have left it idle, otherwise you would think it would have burned up without a real heatsink or fan. You know... someone should make a processor cooling system that transfers the heat to a 'hotplate.' You can then sit your cup of coffee on it and keep it warm all day. :)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
OMG Ray, that is some funny sh*t !

AMDs new slogan:
It slices, it dices, it cooks it does 1 trillion calculations per second!

Yer right, thats what I call value added service.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL
a classic!

im suprised he got even cooking, given the concentrated heat source...
i wonder... would a heat spreader make the task easier???

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
It might. But if the processor supported something like throttling on excessive heat (i.e. a P4) I find myself wondering if it would reach a temperature high enough to actually fry the egg. This begs the question: At what temperature does an egg begin to fry?

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not such a crazy idea...

get an old desktop case...

design some system that mounts thru the 4 mobo screw holes, like the mcx-462...could be just basically a huge lump of copper or aluminium.
drill a hole thru the top of the case so the block can poke thru, then mount some rubber ring around it so grime or cofee cant get in the gaps.... pop your coffee cup ontop, with the 4 mobo mount holes taking the majority of the wieght.

*brainwave*!!! or even better, have a hollow copper pipe filled with water to get nice convection currents

an instant hit!
[grin]

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the proteins begin coagulating somewhere around 50-60C (turning white), but u dont really get that 'cooked' feel unless your up around 90-100C

any way to partially disable thermal throttling? we could be onto something big here...

or even better... a way to use all the excess heat from the itaniums! start a sausage sizzel on your rackmount server! :smile:

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yeah those things probably can help you cut down the heating bills during long winter months.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Hahaha, I wish I had friends like that. The one thing I'd be worried about is cooking on aluminum. That's bad for you.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I think of a Orb like Heatsink w/o a fan
you can put a metal cup in the middle of the heatsink(where the fan uselly sits) and make your self some coffee

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I JUST REALISED!!!!
i could do it with my own heatsink!!!

i have an MCX-462... big 80mm sucker with solid copper base.

pull all the pins out, remove the brackets for the fan, fill the holes with something like arctic silver epoxy and im done!!!

instant element for heating coffee!
:smile:

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
good prove of un-fried xp

dot not worry guys, your xp wont fry anymore, it would rather cook an egg loooooool

wish if there was UnDo in the life

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Probably not high enough thermal conductivity. The CPU would overheat before the user end got warm...

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

G

Ever see those reports on cookbooks about cooking while driving?

Wrap it up in foil and set it on you engine and cook while you are sitting in traffic.

Now you can cook while sitting in cyber traffic on the super highway.

First time I powered up my 'puter my wife asked "Where's that swarm of bees?"

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Reminds me of stories my father used to tell me about system admins using popcorn to see if their DEC-Alphas were overheating. Quite funny.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
RoTFLMAO LO freakin' L! :lol:

That's great! It's like MTV's Jackass with a new technical twist!

I'm slightly surprised that the Athlon still worked...

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, why stop at Eggs ??? what about bacon and other staples of the fried breakfast... start a new fad here...

!!! U have had the TV dinner, well now try the PC breakfast !!!

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Spam, Spam Spam Spam Spam mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Spam

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
PC breakfast? lol

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
LOL.

I just learned that after viewing this McDonald signed a contract with AMD to provide XP Chips to them. It will cook and take order at the same time. (jk)

surprised that thing is still running...Well just use it to make breakfast.

KG

TRENDING THREADS