Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2002 5:50:23 AM

I sure hope this is the real thing :) 

http://www.athlonxp.com/news_xp2100.html

More about : question

February 25, 2002 7:21:29 AM

I doubt it.

Why would AMD transition to .13 micron but leave the cpu at 1.75V?

It is just the next XP out. Another 66.666 Mhz. Another $30 off the price of the 2000+ and everything below it.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
February 25, 2002 8:03:00 AM

everything looks correct but the fab tech.

I guess its the same old Palomoino 0.18u and expecting at least another model, the XP2200+ running at 1.8 GHz the XP2300+

<font color=blue>If you look at the image closely you will see the year of manufacture marked 1999! must be a fake image, even engineering samples dont look like that!</font color=blue>

The Tbred is 0.13u fab, it must run at 1.4~1.45 V core voltage, any higher voltage will automatically fry it at nominal speeds.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Related resources
February 25, 2002 8:20:06 AM

Ok, for starters I think it's most likely fake too, but...
Quote:
If you look at the image closely you will see the year of manufacture marked 1999! must be a fake image, even engineering samples dont look like that!

My XP1800+ was marked 1999 too!

Cheers,

Thorin
February 25, 2002 9:55:41 AM

I think they just got the FAB process wrong - its a 0.18 palomino
AMD already showed the T-bred and it doesnt look like a T-bred...

I do think its a Real Athlon XP 2100+... someone posted a link to a place where you can pre order it...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
February 25, 2002 10:01:33 AM

Quote:
The Tbred is 0.13u fab, it must run at 1.4~1.45 V core voltage, any higher voltage will automatically fry it at nominal speeds.

No it wont, maybe make it run hotter, but not fry it.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 25, 2002 10:14:30 AM

the date is more likely the date that chip series was released rather than when the actual chip was produced...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---
February 25, 2002 10:38:51 AM

right!
Athlon was released at 1999... boy those were great times to be an AMD fan...
Athlon Kicking Intela Ass and all...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
February 25, 2002 12:15:19 PM

at 0.13u, you are ok with lower voltage, i cant imagine why AMD would stay with 1.75V

right, it wont exactly fry the chip outright, but there will be far more fried AthlonXP incidences than the original Athlon had.

However, this higher voltage only indicates that they need more power for the chip internals which they can support as a matter of fact, by simply changing the socket and making more power supply pins!

Probabely it will have more L2 cache or a tertiary cache as the K6-3! Or something even better like some advanced circuits for thermal control, or a onboard voltage regulator!

If any one thing of these is on the Tbred, it will be cool!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
February 25, 2002 12:43:34 PM

Yes, you would be fine with lower voltages, but 1.75 would not hurt, just like 1.85 dosent hurt axp's or tbirds.

I highly doubt it will have any changes, it dosent need to, it is VERY powerful as is. Plus, we can overclock the slower ones with a full 166fsb on the new motherboards, it will be great!

February 25, 2002 1:56:39 PM

The photo is of a .18 Palomino core chip

Voltage may or may not be incorrect. My understanding ALSO is T-Bred will run around 1.4-1.5vrather than 1.75

More cache is a possibility, but I expect it will NOT increase cache. I think AMD wants to get the process right before making new changes to the core. That's probably why Barton is scheduled for release so soon after T-Bred.

Palomino already has an onboard Thermal diode and there are now several boards which utilize it.

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
February 25, 2002 11:20:26 PM

Quote:
More cache is a possibility, but I expect it will NOT increase cache. I think AMD wants to get the process right before making new changes to the core. That's probably why Barton is scheduled for release so soon after T-Bred.

I think the main reason barton is so soon is to prepare the line for the hammer, and to work out all soi kinks.

I think amds entire lineup this year will be in preperation for the hammer, which is a good thing.

February 25, 2002 11:29:46 PM

im praying that barton will be 166fsb.

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:
February 25, 2002 11:47:13 PM

That link no longer appears to be valid.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
February 26, 2002 6:20:58 AM

Yep, i couldnt find the story either. Anyone wanna give us a summary?

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
February 26, 2002 3:57:42 PM

Them: Look! It's real, I promise!

Us: No it's not.

Them: But a friend of mine has one, and it's real!

Us: No, no he doesn't.

Them: But you can imagine what it'd be like if he did.

Us: You're an idiot.

Them: You're right, I'll take down the site.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
!