cyn1k

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I was researching a bit on cpu heatsinks since thats the only part of assembling a cpu that really has me worried ;).. and I started getting a bit confused on the whole paste versus thermal pads issue.. I plan on getting an xp1700, and most likely will not OC it at all. If I do OC it will be minimal. I also plan on getting the Volcano 6cu (4550rpm). I'm really a newbie at building CPU's, so I want to avoid any of this 'heatsink lapping' ive read about here at THG. So my question is: The thermaltake 6cu comes with a thermal pad correct? Is it going to run fine if I just place the 6cu ontop of the cpu using only the thermal pad which comes with it? I don't want to melt my cpu but I also don't wanna try sanding down the heatsink or whatever other crazy method's people use to apply thermal paste!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you dont plan to overclock, simply buy the retail axp, it comes with a perfectly good heatsink which is very easy to apply.

Use the included thermal pad and you will not require any additional thermal paste etc, however, remember, you can only use a thermal pad once, if you remove the hsf you MUST replace it with paste.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

ya, either buy a retail package or use the pad is fine if you are not going to OC

cyn1k

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I never see anyone refer to using the stock hsf and so I had already written it off as crappy? If indeed its quiet and gets the job done I'll use it for sure, just didnt wanna have a red hot cpu. Think the retail stock hsf could also survive a little fsb OC'ing? I wouldnt mind trying a 145+ fsb if its possible just to see if I can suck some 'free' extra power out of the athlon

also, the volcano 6cu and oem athlon xp1700 together are about equal in price with the retail xp1700. Why not?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The stock hsf would probably do fine with that small of an overclock.

Its only around 100 or so mhz depending on stock speed.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!