Chipped cpu core

FatBurger

Illustrious
DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL GET CANCER!!!

Heh, just kidding. If it's chipped enough to render it unworking, then your computer simply won't boot. If it's still a working CPU, then it'll boot up and you'll probably be fine (I just say probably because there's no way of being 100% sure).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
That's what I thought the answer would be.....

ie. the computer powers up and seems to be all systems go... but the monitor just stays blank with the power light flashing as if to say, "... send me a signal... send me a signal... "

.... don't ask me how I know.... hehe...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sounds like it's a video card problem, not a CPU problem. Do you have another video card to test it with?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Yes... I do believe I tried it with both...

Here is the 'real life' case.... 2 systems... A) 1.33 with AIW Radeon, and B) 1800XP+ with AIW Radeon 7500

I had to swap the cpu and video cards between the systems (they both ran perfectly fine).

The 1.33 (system A) had one of those crappy super mini-orbs on it that are a nightmare to get off. In removing it, it seems the the core of the 1.33 got chipped on the corner.

I put the 1.33 and the AIW card into system B and got the previously described result... everything powers up and looks fine... but the monitor stays blank getting no signal.

I then swapped graphics cards back to the AIW Radeon 7500 and the same result.

By putting the 1800XP+ back in that system it booted up fine (can't remember which video card was in when that happened).

I then went to system A and put the 1800XP+ in it with the AIW Radeon 7500 and it was fine.

I believe I also put the 1.33 back in system B with the AIW Radeon and once again it appeared fine in the case, but the monitor stayed dead.

At this point my conclusion is a dead cpu.... as it didn't work in both computers and with both video cards but was working before...

Needless to say I'm in the market for a 1.33 cpu now... heh....

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Had that with a burnt Pentium 233 once. Everything started, you can hear the hard drive spin up and all, but no video and no beeps from the motherboard.

Sounds like a dead CPU

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

FatBurger

Illustrious
Maybe Mat should add that to his sig too? :tongue:

Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

I am very curious about this cpu issue...
I just had to order another athlon chip myself, due to a cracked edge on my core. This is my 3rd chip because of the installation of cpu fan that fit so tight...How can someone prevent this from happening. I keep trying different cpu fans with the chip, and i thought the last one was the best fit, and the easiest to remove and replace. I was wrong...
Are these chips designed to be that fragile.
I miss the old slot 1 cpu's....this is crazy.

I'm I just installing the cpu fan incorrectly or what?

Can you feel my frustration.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You may be, buy a retail athlon and use the retail hsf, they are very quiet and cool adequatly, and they are designed to work right with the athlon.

If you use a retail hsf and chip the core, amd will be much more likley to accept a return than if you do not use the retail hsf.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
[-peep-] god damned piece of [-peep-] super shitty orbs, people should be allowed to return their crushed cores back to Thermaltake from mini-orb damage.

At my old shop we had to pull them off the shelves, putting them on was easy but removing it was near impossible.