AMD or Pentium 4?

greenuns

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Hi, I'm planning to get a pc soon and I'm having a hard time deciding which system is better.

Some people say AMD is better then again, some people say that P4s are better. COuld someone explained to me what the major differences are between the 2 CPUs?

I would be doing a lot of 2d/3d and games on my system, and so far I managed to come up with a setup but I'm not too sure if this is the right choice.

I was hoping to get some opinions on my setup and any other helpful infos, thanks

P4 1.6AG
512 RDRAM
SOYO Dragon Ultra w/RAID
IBM 40gb ULTRA - ATA/100 x2
VisionTek XTASY 6964 64mb Geforce3 ti 500
and planning to get it at MWAVE.com

many thanks in advanced.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Do a forum search, in the last 2 weeks there has been not less than 5 threads on this topic.

Quick answer.

If you want to overclock alot, hardcore wise, go for the p4.

If you want minor overclocking, and good performance for price, go axp.

Read the other threads for details.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the most important thing for games is the graphics card. more is better. geforce3 ti 500 is nice.

i wont argue the merits of which chip is better. its been done to death.

just to say the AMD equivalent of your system would be an XP1600+ with 512mb of PC2100 DDR ram on a KT266A chipset.

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:

eden

Champion
Actually the XP system would be MUCH MORE performant in any case literally.
But yeah you people should really not put up these questions! Hooboy...this is gonna attract some flaming if it all goes accordingly! Oh well....

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
OMFG!!! STOP ANSWERING THESE THREADS!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???!???

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Even if you look or post AMD systeme will allwayse be recommand we are maybe 5 intel fan vs a billion of kobold.

Did you just call 99% of the forum kobolds?

Screw you juin, if your english is so bad that that wasnt meant as an insult, then go to a french board you [-peep-].

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

depends on your budget and how fast do you want. but I would pick XP1700+

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeup, I agree with Mat on that. That's why I picked up my 1.6A and TH7II-RAID. Let me know if you go P4, I'll help you decide what board and RAM to buy.

a billion of kobold.

Where's Yahiko, he's played Ancient Domains of Mystery. You fight kobolds, represented by green lowercase 'k's. Funny stuff.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

greenuns

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
thanks for the opinions guys,
yeah, after some more forum searches, I realized that there has been a lot of "Battles" between p4 and AMD, i guess it's pretty much up to one's "taste and style"
yeah, it was a pretty dumb question, sorry guys :)

So, if I get a p4, what motherboard and memory system should I get?
I see that there are RDRAMS, and DDR SDRAMS?
which one should I get? because before I thought of getting a RDRAM system but after reading that article Tom's hardware wrote about RDRAMS and DDR SDRAMs; I am all confused.

Also if I decide to get an AMD which CPU, board and Memory should I get?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If you get a Pentium 4 I would recommend an Abit TH7II motherboard and two 256MB Samsung PC800 double-sided RDRAM memory modules, for a total of 512MB of memory.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
My opinion?
P4: 1.6A with Asus P4TE with 512RDRAM. If you prefer DDR to save a little money, the Asus S333 by SiS chipset, is almost 70$ less and the performance at the 1.6GHZ level is rather moot against RDRAM. You'd best get PC2700 too. You'd also prefer to overclock it a bit, I beleive it's relatively safe to OC to 2GHZ at least.

AXP: XP1700+, mobo Epox 8KHA+ with 512DDR PC2100. The EP-8KHA+ is still one of the fastest board with the KT266A chipset and you can't go wrong with that. This system is definitly far above the 1.6A unless overclocked so you decide!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!