Your question
Solved

Is Windows 7 really better than Vista?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows 7
February 20, 2013 6:23:14 PM

I know I'm pretty late to Windows 7, but I currently just got it for a new build and it doesn't seem impressive. I've definitely noticed the quicker performance of Windows 7, although, this performance increase doesn't seem justify anything unless you're running a dual core with 1GB RAM. I've never had so many damn problems trying to update Windows either, hundreds of failed updates over and over. Trying to drag folders and documents just opens them. Left clicking and dragging over text to copy is always a mess. Constant Event Viewer errors over and over. First install I was getting hundreds of BSOD's. Second instal went smooth, but still have the other issues.

Obviously I just need to fine tune some things to match my setting preferences on some of those issues. But so far it just hasn't impressed me at all. Specially after all the hype over it. Really don't like that they aren't going to do Service Packs for it as well, since they wanted the company to focus on Windows 8.

Anyways, just curious to others feelings on the OS. Anyone else run into these issues?

More about : windows vista

a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 6:27:27 PM

Are you running this on a dual-core with 1GB RAM?
m
l
February 20, 2013 6:33:45 PM

ronintexas said:
Are you running this on a dual-core with 1GB RAM?

Lol no. I'm running an AMD FX-8150 8 core @ 3.5GHz and 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz. The point was the slight increase of performance from Vista to 7, seems to only be beneficial if you were running a dual core with 1GB RAM. And with all the problems I'm running into just doesn't seem worth it at all.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 7:34:10 PM

It's strange, I've never heard of Windows 7 having these issues. In my experience it's rock steady. Certainly it shouldn't regress from Vista (!) in your case since it is after all, an improved and better optimized refresh of Vista more than anything else.

As far as the Update errors, I haven't seen them to be a persistent issue on any machine I've worked on unless the install was just bad. Occasionally an optional driver update runs into an error but I don't worry about that as long as there's a driver installed. Have you tried restarting the Windows Update service (run services.msc at the start menu)?

There already has been a service pack (SP1) for 7 though there might not be another.

As to the other stuff, I haven't seen such problems with dragging. Are you sure all your hardware is good (memtest, HDD diagnostics...)
a c 423 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 7:41:13 PM

Running windows 8 64 bit , 3570k at 4.6 ghz, 16 gigs of ram at 1600mhz,Sapphire 7870 Tahiiti XT edition OC'd.

I have never had any issues with 7 or 8.

Never cared for vista but after all the updates it ran fairly well.

m
l
February 20, 2013 7:48:38 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Running windows 8 64 bit , 3570k at 4.6 ghz, 16 gigs of ram at 1600mhz,Sapphire 7870 Tahiiti XT edition OC'd.

I have never had any issues with 7 or 8.

Never cared for vista but after all the updates in ran fairly well.

Nice. I wonder why I'm having so many issues...
m
l
a c 423 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 7:51:58 PM

I never used vista or 7 unless i had a 4 gigs of ram.
m
l
February 20, 2013 8:03:21 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I never used vista or 7 unless i had a 4 gigs of ram.

Ya I have 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz. My issues definitely aren't coming from my specs.
m
l
a c 423 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 8:06:37 PM

Exactly , must be other driver or hardware issues,sometimes they take awhile to sort out.

Keep us posted.
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:27:55 AM

Of course.

But i think Win 8 is the best!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 12:51:21 AM

Nothing much wrong with Vista once it's up-and-running, but I groan when I have to re-install it for someone, two SPs and countless updates, and now I have 8 I wouldn't go back to 7 ...
As for your other issues, you could try clean startup, it's a bit laborious, but could find something...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:32:04 AM

dodger46 said:
Nothing much wrong with Vista once it's up-and-running, but I groan when I have to re-install it for someone, two SPs and countless updates, and now I have 8 I wouldn't go back to 7 ...
As for your other issues, you could try clean startup, it's a bit laborious, but could find something...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Nice. I stayed away from Windows 8 because of the retro look. It also looked it had such a new style I figured it would have many "problems" like Vista for the first year or two. I'll have to try out Windows 8 on my next build, lol or upgrade if 7 keeps giving me problems. I agree the service packs suck because they take so long. But Windows 7 has seriously been worse for me. Go to install 100 updates, come back and 80 have failed. Go to install the 80, come back and 70 have failed, etc. Along with a bunch of minor things. But that could be because I was use to Vista's features for so long.

I'll try out the clean starup and let you know how things go.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:47:51 AM

I feel your pain. The updates on a post-SP1 integrated Win7 fresh install are pretty bad. On my oldish netbook there were 115 updates (250 MB), and after they've installed it hits you with another 75 updates. And you're right, they don't all install successfully. I just hide the ones that fail, to get it out of the endless loop.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 3:16:52 AM

OwensJ480 said:
Nice. I stayed away from Windows 8 because of the retro look. It also looked it had such a new style I figured it would have many "problems" like Vista for the first year or two. I'll have to try out Windows 8 on my next build, lol or upgrade if 7 keeps giving me problems. I agree the service packs suck because they take so long. But Windows 7 has seriously been worse for me. Go to install 100 updates, come back and 80 have failed. Go to install the 80, come back and 70 have failed, etc. Along with a bunch of minor things. But that could be because I was use to Vista's features for so long.

I'll try out the clean starup and let you know how things go.

Why not try the Evaluation for 90 days, partition your drive and dual boot. Its still available here
http://windows-8-consumer-preview.todownload.com/thank-...
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:52:19 AM

Surely Windows 7 is the best and better than vista.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:15:27 PM

Best answer selected by OwensJ480.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:19:06 PM

SchizTech said:
It's strange, I've never heard of Windows 7 having these issues. In my experience it's rock steady. Certainly it shouldn't regress from Vista (!) in your case since it is after all, an improved and better optimized refresh of Vista more than anything else.

As far as the Update errors, I haven't seen them to be a persistent issue on any machine I've worked on unless the install was just bad. Occasionally an optional driver update runs into an error but I don't worry about that as long as there's a driver installed. Have you tried restarting the Windows Update service (run services.msc at the start menu)?

There already has been a service pack (SP1) for 7 though there might not be another.

As to the other stuff, I haven't seen such problems with dragging. Are you sure all your hardware is good (memtest, HDD diagnostics...)

Ya I've done alot of diagnostics, testing and troubleshooting. Seems my friends have never had any of the dragging issues as well. I have a feeling it's my Razor mouse that is causing the problems. Going to try to change the mouse soon and test it out. Seems my friends haven't had the same issues as me either. May be my build, may be some fine tuning in the BIOS I missed. From peoples reviews of Windows 7, such as yours', I'm starting to believe the issues are due on my end.
m
l
!