Un-branded OEM Windows 7 - trying to upgrade to Ultimate

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I have a legal copy/install using an Un-branded OEM Windows 7 version. I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Can I use a new legally purchased Dell branded OEM Key (supplied with DVD) to simply update/change the Product Key within the Windows 7 Control Panel (under Windows Activation)?

bignastyid

Titan
No, that OEM Dell Key will only work on the system it was shipped with. Im not sure how you purchased a Dell oem key they are only suppose to ship with a Dell computer and are tied to that machine. If you want to upgrade your version of 7 you need to use windows anytime upgrade or buy an upgrade disc and key. You can not use an OEM version of win 7 as an upgrade.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Windows7-2.jpg

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows8-1_zps0f2f36f7.png

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Dell DVD and Key are brand new and sold through a national reseller (they are also a Registered Microsoft Partner so it's legit). It has never been installed.

I want Ultimate so I can use Remote Desktop with true dual monitors support on both ends.

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I bought a windows anytime upgrade and doesn't work for my OEM Win 7 Pro system - I was told that I need a full retail version to upgrade (but that's not an upgrade but a reinstall).

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Then let's say it's a Dell PC that I installed a Un-branded OEM Windows 7 Pro onto and that I now want to upgrade to Ultimate.

The only difference I'm aware of between Windows Pro and Windows Ultimate is the Language pack and Bitlocker.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Dell and HP sell their excess copies on the internet thru certain E-tailors all the time. They are not supposed to and MS is aware of it yet they have done nothing about it. If you bought a Dell full version of Ultimate just install it. It will prompt you if you want to do an upgrade or New Install. I would recommend backing up all your data and doing a fresh install rather then an upgrade. The E-tailors even offer a work thru to remove the Dell or HP banner page on boot up.

bignastyid

Titan

Really I must have just been lucky the dozen times I have done it for clients on their OEM systems.

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Well I was pissed it didn't work for me. I would think +90% of PCs are true OEM so it would have to work. I didn't do the onboard purchasing of the Windows Anytime Upgrade (I purchased it separately). Where the ones you did purchased using the onboard upgrade finder or purchased separately?

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116772R[/url]
(Note: I know that the link is Home Premium to Ultimate but when people see that Newegg and Amazon sell them they now its legit - these are NOT the versions I mentioned that I am using/buying/wanting - just a sample of something similar)

gt3347

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Yes - says upgrade key is not valid. Called reseller support # and they said since mine is OEM then I need retail version - they gave me my money back and tried to sell me full retail (for $80 more than the upgrade).