cpu fixing

G

I'm not all that interested in "professional" computer help. I think that is how I got into this mess. Took it in 2 weeks ago for software issues in order to save what info I had on my hard drive. I'm hoping it was me jostling it about in the car that shook the fan loose and not some comuter "professional".

SO!, the fan is still attached to the heatsink (I'm thinking this is the alluminum think with all the 'fins'. It comes as one unit (i looked that up on the TaiSol website). the plastic chip holder thing is attached to the motherboard and has a leaver on the side you pull up to release the chip (I've got that out and I'm marveling over it). That chip holder thing is where the heatsink and fan are attached to. I don't see the need to replace it, but now there isn't the little plastic nob to hook the fan clip to. the plastic think isn't comming out easy either... I already tried.

It's 2.5yrs old and there is no warranty. Bought it at Best Buy and I hate them anyway.

can I buy a new chip? will any 900Mhz do?

the motherboard looks ok. Of course I don't know for sure, but it doesn't have any melted looking spots.

kathy

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep... u be right

the 'heatsink' is the big metal spikey lookin thing. the fan is obviously the little fan on top of it.

the plastic thing the CPU sits on is called the cpu 'socket' and includes the little lever on the side.

u say one of the little plastic hooks on the socket has broken off... but there should be 3 of them in a row. are the other two still there?

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
If the other plastic hooks aren't still there, are there four holes around the socket?
There's no point getting the new CPU if there is no way to re-attach the heatsink and fan. Without those, the CPU will just burn up again.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

G

yes, the other two are still there. I think it's insane that they attatch such an obviously important component to a cheap piece of plastic. (but that's just me)

There is a clip in the middle of the heatsink that attatches to the middle plastic prongs. It's just one of them that has crumbled off.

can't I just put some electrical tape on this???

where can I get another CPU?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"can I buy a new chip? will any 900Mhz do?" - Yes, any 'socket A Athlon-900' will work

"yes, the other two are still there. I think it's insane that they attatch such an obviously important component to a cheap piece of plastic. (but that's just me)" - I agree. AMD is pushing for heatsinks that bolt on to the motherboard.

"There is a clip in the middle of the heatsink that attatches to the middle plastic prongs. It's just one of them that has crumbled off." - Look for a heasink that clips to the two pairs of outer lugs/tabs. I don't know of any offhand but there are probably some out there.

"can't I just put some electrical tape on this???" No, not even duct tape would do.

"where can I get another CPU?" Where do you live? If your in either Toronto or Halifax (Canada) I could suggest a few places.

- JW

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I think it's insane that they attatch such an obviously important component to a cheap piece of plastic.
I agree, as do many others. That is why there are now mounting holes or supports on newer motherboards.

can't I just put some electrical tape on this???
The heat sink has to be secured flush against the CPU, and tape will not assure you of this.

where can I get another CPU?
You need to know what type of CPU went in the computer. If you don't know, perhaps you would be best served bringing the computer into a local computer shop, or a Computer Renesance. Either of which can probably get you the part(s) you need.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
"can I buy a new chip? will any 900Mhz do?" - Yes, any 'socket A Athlon-900' will work
Not if she has a Socket 370 PIII/Celeron system.

ED: Sorry, I saw her other post. It is a Socket A Athlon.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bront on 02/26/02 09:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get a heatsink that uses more than one of the pegs on the socket, like <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/248.htm?913" target="_new">THIS ONE</A> for only $4.50!
You don't need a 900, any Socket Athlon of "200MHz FSB" or Duron should be automatically detected by your board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm not all that interested in "professional" computer help.

You're in luck! We're as unprofessional as possible. Remember Hawkeye from M*A*S*H? We're worse than he could ever hope to be. We're- ok, you get the idea.

BTW Crash, nice find.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ok... here goes.

firstly, i hope that in frying your CPU it hasnt damaged the motherboard. it may be a good idea to get it tested out before u go any further.

any athlon 900 will do, but u may have to hunt around a little as they arnt exactly top of the line stock anymore. but at least they will be nice and cheap :smile:

so from here you have 4 options available to you.

1. motherboard has been damaged from the overheat, have to get a new one.

2-4 only apply if its not damaged

2. get a new motherboard anyway... not really a good idea as you can do 3 or 4.

3. buy a new heatsink that utilises ALL THREE of the plastic clips for the motherboard, thereby u are still able to use the socket. there are a number of heatsinks out there that use all 3, i suggest you go to [url}www.dansdata.com[/url]. he has the most extensive heat sink review.

4. get a heatsink that bolts through the motherboard. these are extreemly robust and impossible to dislodge, but only a few exist, and are costly. the only two i know of are the Alpha PAL 8045 or the swiftech MCX-462, both quite expensive and LARGE.

number 3 is your cheapest option.

G

I must say I learned a great deal (much more than I wanted) about CPU's and the whole heat removal process.

I got a new CPU chip and a new heatsink/fan. The fan uses 2 "lugs" as I've come to know them, on one side and only 1 on the other. It's in there good and tight. I was a bit thrown by the "thermal transfer medium". there was no mention of this until I bought the new fan.

So, my newly fixed up computer is up and running and my Christmas card address list has escaped yet another brush with oblivion.

thanks for all your help.

BTW.. I AM the neighborhood computer geek... life in the suburbs is not exactally diverse.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
congrats

and shoul dbe safer too now that the weight is distributed between 2 lugs.

what heatsink did u get anyways?

G

COMP USA for both items. they were the only place with a new processor without having to order it. the fan is store brand as far as I can tell. distributed by them.

k

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
4. get a heatsink that bolts through the motherboard. these are extreemly robust and impossible to dislodge, but only a few exist, and are costly. the only two i know of are the Alpha PAL 8045 or the swiftech MCX-462, both quite expensive and LARGE.

I got my alphapal8045 for 29.95(no fan tho) not too spendy.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!