Basically I just recently set up a new system and installed Windows 7 on it. This is where my first errors occured, getting a installation error on the first try of intalling Win7. I had a look through the web trying to troubleshoot this and got through the installation the second time around.
However, after having the computer for a week now it has been acting wierd all throughout with various errors and blue screens showing up every now and then.
I have been getting Blue Screens, Explorer, IExplorer, COM Surrogate and Windows Defender-has stopped working, even my sfc /scannow has been aborted due to error... This is my very first experience with this type of problem and I haven't really found anyone with a clue about this yet.
My Event Viewer is full of Error Event ID 1000, Source code 100, with Source stated as Application and my Avira Antivir Personal antivirus software. It should be noted that prior to Avira I had Avast antivirus installed, so I don't suspect the usual antivirus issue. I have also disabled DEP through cmd.exe but today i got another "iexplorer has stopped working", so I'm worried that the issue isn't resolved.
Ok I haven't solved this yet and it is becoming quite confusing as to what may be the cause.
To recap what the problem is and what I've done to date:
- I've ran Memtest86 for 5 passes with 0 errors and no issues.
- I've done a CHKDSK /f and /r with no damaged or corrupt files.
- I've tried 3 different Antiviruses and fully scanned the system with each one of them. In chronological order: Avast, Avira and MSE(current antivirus).
- I've updated BIOS and any driver I could possibly come to think of.
The problem and details from Event Viewer:
- I'm getting "has stopped working" on everything from Explorer, Iexplorer, Windows Defender, my antivirus software and COM Surrogate. It only happens on somecomputer sessions (as in really unpredictable behaviour). Sometimes Explorer keeps restarting over and over again for 10 minutes until I force a system restart.
- I've had different BSOD's turning up every now and then. Although I don't know how to interpret/read these saved .dmp files from BSOD, I've compiled them in a .rar. (Cant seem to attach files here though).
Most of the errors are application errors with the ID 1000 Source code 100, with some ID 1005.
Event ID 1005 "Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Explorer because of this error.
Program: Windows Explorer
The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0"