Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help deleting old files!! Please look

Last response: in Windows 7
February 20, 2013 10:04:24 PM

SO i just bought an ssd and i am beginning to delete old windows files, program files, etc of my hdd so i can use it simply for storage and for a few programs.
I know hot to change ownership of the files which i have done, but even after this when i go to delete it i get this messege
"you need permission from administrators to make changes to this folder"

so what can i do, i want these gone because they are taking up huge space but are now obsolete
can anyone help me?

More about : deleting files

a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 10:06:51 PM

backup necessary files to another drive, format the hard drive, and then put your files back where you want them.
m
l
February 20, 2013 11:53:44 PM

daswilhelm said:
backup necessary files to another drive, format the hard drive, and then put your files back where you want them.

i can i have hundreds of gb of movies and music and my ssd is only 128gb with about 45 left
so thats not an option
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 11:55:48 PM

you would need the drive back in the system with the original admin, as far as i know.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:08:45 AM

there must be some way around this...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 2:14:48 AM

did you try to take the full ownership as administrator to all those files but you need to apply the change or set yourself the same settings as the system have .adding this please do not double post with same issue on the forum .
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:56:26 AM

scout_03 said:
did you try to take the full ownership as administrator to all those files but you need to apply the change or set yourself the same settings as the system have .adding this please do not double post with same issue on the forum .

not sure exactly what you meant here?
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:07:09 AM

i downloaded this to try it and when i right click the file to use it i dont see anythign that says unlock liek the readme says
maybe im using it wrong?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 7:09:46 PM

when you open a click property under security click the admin one you sholud have the same box checked as the system one to take full control on the files ,for the unlocker look at the screen picture on the link you will unlock feature .
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 7:17:57 PM

What I would do personally is boot up a Linux live CD and delete the files from there.

I often do this when extracting data from the hard drives of failed machines. Windows gets all in a mess over ownership and doesn't let me at the data without screwing around in the security settings. I plug the drive into my Linux machine and it gets straight to business.
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:32:54 AM

scout_03 said:
when you open a click property under security click the admin one you sholud have the same box checked as the system one to take full control on the files ,for the unlocker look at the screen picture on the link you will unlock feature .

i know how to take full control, im not askign hot to do that.
my whole reason of this post is after i take control im still having problems deleting.

AS for unlocker i installed it and when i right clock I DONT SEE THAT. like i said so im asking why
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:33:23 AM

casper1973 said:
What I would do personally is boot up a Linux live CD and delete the files from there.

I often do this when extracting data from the hard drives of failed machines. Windows gets all in a mess over ownership and doesn't let me at the data without screwing around in the security settings. I plug the drive into my Linux machine and it gets straight to business.

Where can i get one of these, personally never heard of it.
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:24:48 AM

Changing permissions etc wont work, only way is to download a third party formatting tool, if you have the windows cd you may be able to "delete" it there.

I had to do this yesterday, although it did mess with my ssd a bit where I had to reinstall the OS but everything is prefect now, so it all worked out
m
l
!