AMD Demonstrates Next-Generation Processor

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire02-26-100111.asp?sym=AMD" target="_new">First Public 'Hammer' Processor Demo Debuts With 64-Bit and 32-Bit Technology</A></b>

>><i>AMD's demonstration featured "Hammer" running both a 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Microsoft(R) Windows(R) operating system. The AMD "Hammer" processors were manufactured on 0.13 micron, Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology, which together enable higher performance and lower power consumption.
"'Hammer' remains true to AMD's traditions. We're innovating within industry standards, innovating with compatibility, and innovating with users in mind," said Fred Weber, chief technical officer of the Computation Products Group of AMD. "Because it is based on the long-established x86 instruction set architecture, software developers, engineers and IT personnel don't have to start over from scratch."
AMD expects to begin shipping the first version of the "Hammer" family of processors at the end of 2002.</i><<

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Well done AMD.

But a Question comes to mind, after reading the link. It doesn't say anything new, everything there is what's known. Only two thing that are new in the article. One is that it's on SOI and the other that they have Demo of it. It doesn't even say wher did they demo. IDF (Naaa...). I guess we will have to wait till CeBit to get more information and pics of the processors.

Also, if 0.13u SOI is working how come they don't have .13u T-bred. Where is it? I hope everything is well in this process technology.

KG

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They apparently demoed it in SF. It's just a little marketing to offset IDF and any claims Intel is making there. I'm guessing its nothing to be excited about yet.

why

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
You are probably correct. It is still nice to see that they have the hammer functioning. Seems to be saying functioning on the SOI process as well, not just hammer on standard process.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
In and of itself it's not much to be excited about. BUT consider that they already have stable chips to demo and they don't plan to start shipping for another 8-10 months. If things go smoothly for Hammer, they may make a Q3 release, since VIA and SiS, I believe both plan to have chipsets out in Q3. This is several months earlier than the current roadmap indicates.

So, nothing we didn't already know, BUT still an interesting bit all the same.

As for why AMD didn't release T-Bred with SOI, my guess is that the process isn't fully fleshed out. Engineering samples utilizing SOI are a far cry from actual production quantities of SOI chips.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Glad to hear 'Hammer' is alive and well. Any pics showing the demo floating around the web ??

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At IDF there was talk of the Hammer with SOI @ .13 micron running a few blocks away. Invites were handed out before the doors opened this morning. I will try to sneak some pics. On the down side, no MS windows development planned unless Intel enters the x86-64 market.

AMD debutes the Hammer on first day of IDF in the same city... marketing or siezing the moment to possibly capture some of Intels developers.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

FatBurger

Illustrious
No indications of performance, however. I won't get excited until I see that.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Fugger WHAT THE HELL are you talking about???

that's funny he was quite clear to me, maybe you need some more phonic lessons from that hooker you're seeing.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

eden

Champion
No she got hooked on it, now I can't see her!

Ok I am starting to get what he means but still, I am smelling troll under that post...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"At IDF there was talk of the Hammer with SOI @ .13 micron running a few blocks away. Invites were handed out before the doors opened this morning. I will try to sneak some pics. On the down side, no MS windows development planned unless Intel enters the x86-64 market."

Pretty smart move on AMD's part. AS for the last part of your comment, I suspect you are wrong since there are already some file headers in several Microsoft products for the x86-64. Also, if M$ is developing a 64 bit version of Windows for Itanic, a platform which most agree has a trickle of sales, it seems just as likely that M$ would develop n x86-64 version.

Mark-

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
would 64-bit windows mean that you get twice the amount of security holes per clock cycles? wow, what an innovation!

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1591&p=2" target="_new"><font color=red>Hammer's pics</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
As far as people are concerned Microsoft Windows doesn't have any known security holes as long as you install the patches and Microsoft will continue searching for any possible leaks in Windows and patch them up as well. I don't see Windows as an unsecure OS, but rather, the MOST secure OS for the public.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
"I won't get excited until I see that"

I am impresse by is simple interface look like a very good two way set cpu or 4 way set.Hypertransport at 6.4 GB/s for communication.Chipset seen to be very advance (more that what intel show us).For the CORE nothing really new.

In a others hand made a good interfance is not really hard to make.Intel cant allwayse come with a intergrate MCH but create a new instruction set.

http://service.madonion.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectcompare&projectType=6&projectId=2310900

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"would 64-bit windows mean that you get twice the amount of security holes per clock cycles? wow, what an innovation!"

I think with Windows it's a geometric progression! So, 64 bit windows would have erm...LOTS more holes!

LOL

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good point, but I'm still waiting for performance. Doesn't matter how many planes are on your aircraft carrier if it's so slow the war is over by the time it gets there.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

eden

Champion
Hmm Intel has announed at IDF the Prescott. But what got me to be happy for it, is that it says: New micro-architectural enhancements.
Does that mean it might get its FPU back? Or more L1 cache? Who knows! I hope to god they do, or else if Hammer does debute at PR3400, they are indeed doomed until 4GHZ and more.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!