Sign in with
Your question

Which P4 should I get

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2002 11:17:31 PM

I'm searching for a P4 processor. On newegg.com, there are 2 P4 1.6 ghz socket 478 processors. One is Intel model BX80531NK160G and the other is BX80532PC1600D. Any idea what the difference is? I want a retail package with heatsink and fan. Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

More about : question

February 27, 2002 2:46:21 AM

Get the 'A' version with 512k of L2 cache. It was $146 when I ordered mine just under two weeks ago.

EDIT:
It's $140 now, just saw it on their site.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 02/27/02 09:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 27, 2002 3:53:59 AM

I guess one is with 512k L2 cache, slower Northwood A. if the price is right, get that one.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Related resources
February 27, 2002 7:57:56 PM

Hey did you OC yours yet Fat?
Or did your mobo die?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
February 27, 2002 8:25:16 PM

My KT7a-RAID died just over a month ago.
I've been running a 125MHz FSB (P4 @ 2.0), 133 is not perfectly stable yet. I flashed a BIOS that will give me higher voltages (up to 1.825v), so I should get 133MHz stable with ease, if I get as high as 140-150 I'll be very happy :cool:
There is a thread in the CPU overclocking section if you want to follow along.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
February 27, 2002 8:41:39 PM

WTF kinda question is that, DONT EVEN GET A P4
damnit, P4's suck get an athlon!!!
for the same amount of money you can get a way better athlon(for $140 i think you can get a 1700 or even an 1800)
read the TH articles and look at the benchmarks
even athlons of lesser speeds beat the pentium four hands down! P4 sucks. Screw Intel. Screw people who buy P4's and think theyre better than athlons. Wait till the new .13 micron XP dropps and TH OCs that. P4 will get kicked around like a rodeo clown by a bull!!! The XP's (both current and future) are also very overclockable, both in FSB and in the multiplier(must physically unlock first) You can easily raise the performance of an athlon 2 levels( like from a 1700 to a 1900) or even higher WITHOUT additional cooling. Also if you buy a P4 your best bet is an Intel mobo, which is EXPENSIVE. hundreds of componys make good athlon boards much cheaper. i suggest you think about it.

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try
February 27, 2002 8:48:03 PM

Ohh great, looks like we have a new troll... Ignore Willamette_sucks.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 27, 2002 8:59:33 PM

You sir, are a moron.

February 28, 2002 1:16:40 AM

That was a laugh!
Lol rodeo clown...
You sir must go read up over 10 pages of this forum to learn the ethics. Until then, you are like Taylanator, a user who said the same things as you, until he became later on a more talkable person. Either you improve, or you go.

--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2002 10:37:08 PM

Why do most of you bother to reply to my post when you have nothing helpful to write other than to trash Intel or attack each other. Some of you really need to get a life! Thanks for nothing!
March 1, 2002 10:41:08 PM

And why do you get mad at some, and not thank those who did help?

March 1, 2002 10:53:25 PM

I thought 'get the "A" version with 512K of second level cache'at $140 was good advice, no?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2002 1:06:37 AM

My apologies, Fat Burger! You're right. You tried to help. How do I know which is A? I don't see any reference to that and sure can't get any info on Intel's web site about models. Again, many thanks to the few, the proud, the helpful!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2002 1:10:15 AM

Guys: Any suggestions on companies to buy from? New egg seems to have good prices. Anyone else as good? Thanks!
March 2, 2002 1:14:24 AM

Hi kc12345,

Hope I am not too late to reply to your question.

I would try to get the newer Socket 478 Northwood cores. You can tell which ones they are by the "A" designation after the speed designation.

I just got a 1.6A P4. Pretty fun to play with. Not sure about the heat yet though. But so far I have no complaints. One piece of advice is to stick with Rambus. Yes, yes I know they are an evil company and they still are, but you can't argue the memory bandwidth the tech provides. At the end of the day, the P4 was designed with Rambus in mind. I recommend the ASUS P4T-E.

Cheers.

Bluewire.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2002 1:31:13 AM

Actually the P4 was designed with 3200MB/s memory bandwidth in mind, to match its FSB bandwidth. And the only reason RDRAM works better is because it's dual channel on the i850, while DDR boards continue to be single channel. In fact, the P4 core is such a poor performer that 3200MB/s was NEEDED to make it seem adequate, clock for clock it's significantly slower than the PIII. Probably slower clock for clock than the Pentium MMX. Their excuse is that they needed to make compromises in order to make it clock faster. And the 1.6A is still a reasonable choice because it's inexpensive and overclocks well.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 2, 2002 2:22:39 AM

Ahh the unwilling but still standing Crash!
You and Mat, and girish still stand out to tell the facts of why the P4 is a poor performer in any aspect.
It has been discussed god knows many times. See the most recent on in Tom's Reviews Are Biased topic.
It's true RDRAM has no advantage, just a clock speed show off, plus a 2byte bandwidth, needed Dual Channeled to help. DDR coulda really helped the P4 in first place. Not only that, the Prescott is scheduled to have 800MHZ FSB (if it still is not better per clock, they officially will have spoiled gigantic clock speed amazements), plus Hyper Threading, 0.09m and maybe ALU 32 bit. BUT....BUT, if they do not add back the FPU, then they officially have destroyed whatever path of making Hammer competing, gone. Without what the P4 was stripped from, it cannot win. Its big pipeline damaged it, plus stripping it of its components. However all that only damaged by 30%. Be that as it may, increasing FPU, L1 Cache, FSB to 800MHZ, ALU 32 bit, FSB 800MHZ may actually reveal that the P4 is nowhere near a cheap processor AT ALL. If matched with Dual Channel DDR 400 by next year, it could possibly have some potential of having higher IPCs than AthlonXPs could dream! Think about it! Twice the pipeline and using RDRAM, still just a tad less per clock against P3s and about 25% less than Athlons! Talk about Intel not wanting the best....

--
March 2, 2002 5:21:22 AM

What board will you be running it in? At my work we've been playing with the 2.2 northwoods. Not bad cpus, but really not worth the price. With a g-force4 they score about 300 points more in 3d mark sa, and an Athlon 2100+ with a g-force 4.........

1.6 P4 are not bad priced and with a good mobo, they do what they are made to do....:) 

I have returned for a short time.....:) 

Are you going with sdram? or rdram?

If you are pricing out a barebones......price out Intel and AMD and see what saves you the most and decide which you want...

Which ever you get will do the job......while I prefer AMD, I have no problem helping people out with Intel systems....:) 

MeldarthX
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2002 12:50:54 PM

Thanks MeldarthX!! I was set on Pentium, but am waffling now. I finally went in and looked at AMD prices on newegg.com and saw a significant difference. Another friend recommended Athlon 1600+ XP, which newegg has retail for $115. Nice price! He also suggested an Abit KG7 or KG7Raid MB. newegg has only the KG7 -- not the Raid. What do you think about this setup? Thanks!
March 2, 2002 3:16:04 PM

I've posted this before somewhere but anyway if you're now going Athlon I'd say it's relevant. The XP1600 is nearer the performance of an XP1800 out of the box and is really good value especially with a good o/c mobo like the KR266A with RAID and ATA133 support you don't really need DDR2700 as at present the DDR2100 CL2 is better and more stable than anything else -we already know Athlons run well it-and it's just Intel who have to worry about what RAM to pair their chips with! The A-bit KR266A can take over 3Gb of RAM and with ATA133 it's pretty upgradeable,and you can build it now more to the point!.
March 2, 2002 8:26:36 PM

I believe King_Denim is referring to the KR7a-RAID, which would also be my motherboard recommendation (over the KG7-RAID, which a friend of mine has and is also a good board).

March 2, 2002 10:40:33 PM

I like my kg7, but agree, the kr7 is better.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 2, 2002 11:24:10 PM

KR7A, not KR7.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 2, 2002 11:29:15 PM

There is no kr7, so it is obvious what I mean mr correcter.

:-P

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 2, 2002 11:47:58 PM

:wink: hehe... :wink:

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2002 1:47:08 PM

Help! I ordered the Abit KR7A-133 and AMD 1700+. I was looking at Mushkin's site for DDR ram and they did not list the KR7A as a MB that Basic 2100 will work in. So I emailed them. They said I would have to get High Performance DDR for $50 more (I'm going to get a 512 piece). But their specs for high performance -- that is the chipset it's been guaranteed to work with -- is the same as the basic: KT266. Abit's site says the KR7A has a KT266A chipset. I'm trying to see if Mushkin is giving me a line of bull or the basic memory really won't work in the MB I bought. Also, Mushkin's site on the High Performance DDR doesn't list the KR7-A; only the KG7-R is listed -- the same one listed on the Basic page. What is the deal? Can anyone help?
Thanks!
March 5, 2002 2:44:31 PM

You could get a different brand of RAM...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2002 3:20:29 PM

Mushkin seems to have better prices than Crucial. Is there another brand that's good? Many thanks!
March 5, 2002 3:22:58 PM

the BX80531NK160G part is a P4 1.6GHz w/256K, the BX80532PC1600D is a P4 1.6GHz w/512K it would be very prudent of you to get the 512K version. both cpus are socket478.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 5, 2002 3:44:14 PM

I've gotten Micron memory for both of my 256 DDR266 (PC2100). Technicaly it's 2.5 Latency, but it autodetects on my MB as 2.0, and runs very stable.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
March 5, 2002 4:42:22 PM

I doubt the High Performance is cheaper than Crucial, and that's the only reason to get Mushkin.

March 5, 2002 5:05:03 PM

Sir I suggest you stop eating those eggs fried on XP processors, I believe there are chemicals leaking into them.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
!