I have scoured the forums looking to solve this and everybody asks the same question "Have you tried another keyboard". Yes I tried a different keyboard (as indicated in my original question) and that did nothing. It turns out however that I have since found out the answer. I had my keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB hub. The USB hub was not self powered and there appeared to be too much load on the hub causing erratic behavior in both the mouse and keyboard. I plugged the mouse into it's own usb port and no further issues. I found a clue to this on a another blog and wanted to share the result because nobody really had a direct solution.
This worked. Problem solved.