Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot connect to my company's domain.

Last response: in Business Computing
May 31, 2012 5:12:29 PM

Hi,

I am having some issue with a user computer at my job site. His computer cannot connect to any of the share drive on the servers.

I am able to ping the servers just fine with no issues. I also have internet connection.

I remove the computer from the domain and try to re add it again. Now I am getting a error say it cannot reach AD.

I try a IPconfig /all to check his IP address info and I cannot see the info because it looks like he has 197 network adapters.

I also tried removing his network drivers and reinstall them to his computer.

I am not sure what else to do.

Can anyone help me out with this?

More about : connect company domain

May 31, 2012 5:34:02 PM

By default Active Directory will only accept local connections, meaning that the computer user will have to connect via VPN or Dialup prior to authenticating with the domain controller. The servers may still be pingable over WAN but AD should only ever communicate over LAN
May 31, 2012 5:54:47 PM

Can you connect to the network drives if you use domain credentials? DomainName\Username
Related resources
May 31, 2012 5:57:16 PM

Thats the thing I am on a Lan connection. Its like its being blocked.
May 31, 2012 5:58:32 PM

No I could not before. Now im trying to get back on the domain its not going thru.
May 31, 2012 6:00:35 PM

What operating system and version is on this PC?
May 31, 2012 6:08:07 PM

Window 7
May 31, 2012 6:13:13 PM

What version?
May 31, 2012 6:26:52 PM

64 bit
May 31, 2012 6:32:25 PM

Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium ?
May 31, 2012 6:41:30 PM

Remove the computer from active directory rejoin it and then make sure that the group or ou the user is in has access to the shares your trying to access
May 31, 2012 6:46:19 PM

If the version is Home Premium, you can create as many AD accounts for the machine as you like, and it will never be able to join a domain.
May 31, 2012 6:51:12 PM

Jtt283
Professional
Sindawi
I did that and still nothing the computer no communicating with the domain at all.

I even added a static IP and nothing.

The error I get is

An AD DC for the domain "domainname" could not be contacted.

My domain controller is fine I have over 50 users connected just fine.
May 31, 2012 6:53:46 PM

Have you reached a license limit somewhere?
May 31, 2012 7:01:51 PM

No. We have enough licenses left. This computer was connected to DC 2 weeks ago just fine. I am not sure if the user made any changes. When i asked the user, no changes were made to the computer.

May 31, 2012 7:14:29 PM

Has the DC been restarted since then? If possible, you may wish to do that in case there's a cached connection somewhere.
May 31, 2012 7:45:10 PM

Onus said:
Has the DC been restarted since then? If possible, you may wish to do that in case there's a cached connection somewhere.

I'll second that. You can also (after verifying on the DC side that the PC is deleted from the DC) try clearing the DNS/DHCP Caches.
May 31, 2012 8:07:02 PM

have you changed the DNS settings on the user's machine at all?

When a computer tries to find a domain controller it uses a DNS record to find it. If it cannot find the correct DNS record or if host finds a different DNS zone by the same name this can cause problems with Active Directory

How it reaches the DNS server is important. If there are a bunch of network connections on the machine the routes could be a disaster
May 31, 2012 8:09:59 PM

Also try changing the computer's name. Sometimes the name gets stuck in AD somewhere and wont let you add it back.
May 31, 2012 8:48:28 PM

Tried that Mistereo and nothing

I'll try clearing the DNS/DHCP caches.

What are the command for that again?
May 31, 2012 9:01:21 PM

jinkazua said:
Tried that Mistereo and nothing

I'll try clearing the DNS/DHCP caches.

What are the command for that again?

ipconfig /flushdns (will clear DNS cache)

I'm not sure the command to clear DHCP entries.

Also, I'm assuming this is a standard PC.... You should only have one network adapter listed under ipconfig /all.

If you are comfortable uploading that information here, run this command in command prompt "ipconfig /all >> C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\ipconfig.txt". That should create a text file with the ipconfig results. Copy and paste the contents of the "ipconfig.txt" file here. If it is showing more than one "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" then that is likely a related issue and could be the root problem. If you can successfully remove all extra connections I would be willing to be you would be able to rejoin the domain.

Lastly, this is kind of a superfluous question as I know what the answer *should* be in a business environment, but your organization is running a good, up to date virus protection program, right? And this program hasn't discovered any viruses on the PC?
May 31, 2012 9:36:40 PM

This might be a shot in the dark but I remember once having a similar issue. I believe the fix was to load the computer into safe mode and add it to the domain.
June 1, 2012 1:12:03 PM

For some reason none of the DNS commands worked, they failed!?!?

I will see if I can it in safe mode Mistereo.
June 1, 2012 3:19:10 PM

Hey guys,

I couldn't waste anymore time looking for the issue, so I did reformat. It kinda sucks I wanted figure out issue.

I was able to connect domain and network folders on the servers.

Thanks everyone for troubleshooting steps
June 1, 2012 4:08:12 PM

jinkazua said:
Hey guys,

I couldn't waste anymore time looking for the issue, so I did reformat. It kinda sucks I wanted figure out issue.

I was able to connect domain and network folders on the servers.

Thanks everyone for troubleshooting steps

That was my next recommendation. With your description of "197 network network adapters" displayed after an "ipconfig /all" command, I was thinking something had been majorly corrupted or the PC had a virus. In any case, I'm glad your problem has been resolved.
April 5, 2013 5:34:57 AM

We are having this at the moment.
Its down to the amount of Network Cards as well as USB devices being plugged in
You need to show hidden devices in Device manager after running At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter

Delete all your additional network cards.
This worked for me but it keeps coming back.
Need to find a proper resolution
April 5, 2013 6:09:31 AM

Closing 10-month old thread.
!