Backup Utilities - Compatible w/ RAID?

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
I have an XP Pro server I run at home that I would like to back-up on a semi-regular basis. I want to be able to create images much in the same manner that Norton Ghost does. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding something that will work for a RAID config. and doesn't require a tape drive. [i've also tried Veritas] Is there anything out there that works on a RAID setup and you can use w/ a CD- or DVD-burner? Thanks in advance for any help!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I use drive image, but don’t know about using it with Raid, or a server. Maybe someone eles will know, or you could check or ask at the sites.

<A HREF="http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/didetails.cfm" target="_new">drive image</A>

Q: Can Drive Image 2002 image servers?
A: Drive Image 2002 does not support imaging servers. Drive Image supports Windows 95C, 98, 98SE, and Me. It also supports Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Home and Professional. To create images of servers, use the enterprise-level product DeployCenter 5.0.

<A HREF="http://www.powerquest.com/deploycenter/" target="_new">DeployCenter 5.0</A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ghost is not a backup utility, it will create an image to a raid array as long as the array has been created with a hardware controler, and you have to install the dos drivers for the controler when you run ghost.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
O.K. - so I have a Promise Supertrak controller. Where do I find these dos drivers? I spoke w/ symantec support and they never mentioned them. They just said ghost doesn't support raid arrays.

BTW thanx Jiffy - maybe I'll try a Powerquest product if I can't do Norton Ghost.

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
hey jiffy (or anyone) - do you know where i can find a cheap-o copy of deploy center?? i've done a little scratchin' and can't it anywhere for less than +\- $200! thanks!!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Nope, that seems about the going rate.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
hey jiffy! i called powerquest and they said drive image 2002 would actually work for me. i just wanted to ask (since you recommended it) - does it work o.k. for you? i have like a 300+Gb array (raid5). will this pose a prob. w/ drive image?? one last, i heard saw someone online complaining about it not working w/ some (faster) cd-burners. have you experienced this???

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
It use to work beautiful for me with out any problems, but for some reason I’m having problems recognizing all 6 of my partitions. Maybe it’s the new version, or something, and strangely Partition Magic 8 is doing the same thing, but did just recently work, so I don’t know what is going on. So I am having problems with drive image 2002 now, but I’m not certain why. It may or may not have anything to do with drive image. I don’t know what to tell you now, because I am having these troubles and with the other problems it isn’t looking to good. It’s up to you, unless you know of something better, but again I don’t know how or if it works with Raid.

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
I called customer service today and they told me that if you run XP w/ Service Pack 1 - drive image will not work. You might call them and confirm this. I think I'm going to start looking for some other back-up/imaging software.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmm, I wonder if that’s it, but I’m almost certain that I had it working with the SP1. For the hack of it I tried version 5, but had the same results, I’m really stumped. At the same time I haven’t tried to figure it out, I hoping if anything does go wrong I’ll just figure it out, or just format, I’m pretty good at that :wink: . By the way you know there is a 30 day trial version, so it wouldn’t cost you anything to see if it would work for you.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I called customer service today and they told me that if you run XP w/ Service Pack 1 - drive image will not work. You might call them and confirm this. I think I'm going to start looking for some other back-up/imaging software.
That's BS as I've been using XPProSP1 (slipstreamed) for 6 months and created/restored many images, no prob. I have had a prob booting from the emergency floppy but now have it on bootable CD and it works great. The best app out there IMHO.

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=421&s=205efc501496823a64ba7fbd37152ff2" target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A>