Hammer pics =p

Didn't see it posted here yet so <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1591" target="_new">Here</A>.

Discuss

98 answers Last reply
More about hammer pics
  1. Holy christ, that is a radically different looking chip. Well, Anandtech beat Tom like a dog. Tom has a few pics of the lobby and Anand has demos (gay ones) of Hammer. Though I am sure Tom is working on it.
    Anyway, everything about that mobo is different. Looks cool. Thought the AGP thing concerns me. But since we are 8+ months from production, Im sure everything will be fine.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
  2. <A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=726538" target="_new">More Pics</A>

3. BTW does anyone else find it amusing that the Hammer mades its first public appearance at the INTEL developers forum?

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
  4. I'd say it makes perfect sense, since AMD will want to steal the spotlight from anything Intel might want to present.
    All I have to say is....HEAT SPREADER WOOOH!

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
  5. i can see the INTEL LOYALIST sweating hard right now after these pics
  6. Hopefully we will get benchmarks at Cebit. Im not holding my breath though. Seeing the chip is nice, seeing a bouncing ball on the screen isnt.

7. Amd better stop f'n around! that melody belongs to Intel! it's litigation time, if they don't have the right to publish it.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  8. The bouncing ball was a technology demo, showing the capabilities of 32bit and 64bit simultaneous processoring (pretty damn cool if you ask me as I'm a fan of my 32bit code). And by the way, I think that AMD rented a hotel suite just down the street from the actual IDF, but they were apparently handing out invites to people entering IDF. hehehe, using Intels draw to showcase their own product, that's pretty funny.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
  9. Hey I have a question. If the Hammer is supposedly a powerhouse of performance, why did they not run any benchmarks during the demo?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
  10. that was cool! interesting, the motherboard with no 64 bit PCI slots, onboard audio and just 2 DIMM slots, just 2 USB ports and a cool CPU! look at the heatsink/fan, pretty small, guess it consumes lesser power! but the other components seem to use much more of it, that 4pin extra P4 powre connector just besides the standard ATX power connector is interesting!

its a demo board anyway, commercial boards would be much better!

looks like its the clawhammer, the desktop processor.

still waiting for the server sledgehammer...

girish
  11. Ray, I noticed that the reference board has what appears to be Intels 5 note melody, I don't think ppl can publish any music without a license even if it's on a motherboard.

man, those AMDmongrels are getting evil.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  12. They probably didn't run any benchmarks because the CPU they were demoing was running at a lower clock speed than they plan to release it at.

13. Intels 5 note melody? If you're talking about the melody in those Pentium 4 adds, doesn't that have 4 notes?

14. "Intels 5 note melody? If you're talking about the melody in those Pentium 4 adds, doesn't that have 4 notes?"

duh....duh, duh, duh, da!

5 notes

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  15. probably true, this chip must be just the demo chip running at lower speeds. its the proof of concept.

actually i would like to see it right from the beginning, the startup screenshot, its bootup, loading of Windows or Linux and running freecell!

and then i would like to run the benchmarks. I hope all the benches will be updated for the hammer. maybe this is the reason, there are no bnchmarks for the 64 bit x86 processors! they are all in a class of their own.

wait for a while...!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
  16. do you mean <A HREF="http://www.kakofonia.stopklatka.pl/ENG/ENGcomme/intel.wav" target="_new">this</A>?

girish

17. yes, it would be interesting if the Clawhammer 754 pin package is compatible with the Sledgehammer 940 pin socket.

AMD shouldnt play the change-the-socket (and the board) game with a ambitious project as this one! just one 940/754 pin socket specification would be cool for the Hammer systems. one would define their relation like the Pentium-Celeron or Athlon-Duron one, that is actually is so!

girish

18. Quote:
    just one 940/754 pin socket specification would be cool for the Hammer systems.

While I agree that this would be cool, it's unlikely that you'd have either/or mobos. The sledgehammer has a dual-channel memory subsystem and the clawhammer single-channel (as the memory controllers are on the CPU). This extra 64 bit pathway is described as a major reason for the extra pins. Creating a single mobo for both chips would be extremely complicated. If you can't use both chips on the same board, having different sockets is better; it prevents you from installing the wrong chip.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
  19. Quote:
    This extra 64 bit pathway is described as a major reason for the extra pins. Creating a single mobo for both chips would be extremely complicated. If you can't use both chips on the same board, having different sockets is better; it prevents you from installing the wrong chip.

Its of course not just the physical compatibility, much more important is the electrical and functional compatibility. In fact, a single specification for mPGA754/940 socket would be easier if you consider the mPGA754 socket to be a subset of mPGA940. all the extra connections on the 940 pin socket with be terminated properly or ignored on a 754 pin processor. This job obviously has to be carried out by the motherboard, and the processor correctly identified by the BIOS.

to get the idea, see how 16 bit USA was developed with 8 bit ISA compatibility, how 32 bit and 64 bit (3.3V and 5V, 33 and 66 MHz) PCI slots share the specification. even the AGPPro slot also is backwards compatible with the older AGP slot. Its not too difficult to achieve 754 and 940 pin compatibility.

I guess they already have specified the pinouts, lets hope they are compatible. looking at the pics, I could imagine the 754 pin processor getting well into a 940 pin socket. just make the 940 pin micoPGA socket a universal platform for all Hammers and its successors, just as PGA462 is for the complete range of
    Durons(Spitfire->Morgan->Appaloosa)->Athlon(Thunderbird->Palomino->Thoroughbred->Barton) and possibly even more!

AMD shouldnt go the Intel way on sockets, it already has gone a bit on mPGA and ATX12V way.

girish

20. Since this now seems to be the official "Hammer is coming" thread, can anyone say bye-bye multiplier adjustment once we are on hammers?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
    To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
  21. 1 i think the chip is running at 800 mghz
    2 It 30 day old CPU a 10 day Chipset 1 day mobo.
    3 Driver/support/stability.

http://service.madonion.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectcompare&projectType=6&projectId=2310900
  22. Quote:
    I noticed that the reference board has what appears to be Intels 5 note melody

How do you notice a melody when they are showing pictures?

What and where are you refering to? or is this simply more of your FUD?

This is a non-smoking forum.
    If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
  23. Ray, nice to see ya.

But, Anandtech mentions that the reason for a lack of benches is that a) The AGP slot of the Solo 2 isn't working outside of labs yet (sad fact, but again, release time is 6-8 months away) and b) These were A0 steppings, and as such, are less than 30 days old, so I think it'd be safe to say that they aren't quite up to engineering sample level yet. Also, they don't have them running at full speed yet.

This was a ploy by AMD to show a couple things; they have working silicon of the Hammer line, and that they wanted to steal some thunder from Intel at the IDF. Marketing-wise, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ethics-wise, eh, who cares. Ethics get you killed in cutthroat business ventures.

-SammyBoy
  24. My thoughts:

Juin, what the hell are you talking about? There's no way you could know that it was running at 800MHz.

Most surprising, did anyone else notice that Hammer was running 64-bit Windows? Umm...hello?!? Apparently Microsoft likes x86-64 more than some people would think.

No benchmarks, but I'm not really surprised. Hammer is very, very new, AMD just wanted to prove to the world that they had working silicon, not prove their performance claims. That will come later, I'm sure.

Interesting that Intel sent out 133(533) CPUs for testing. THG obviously reviewed one, and I know that HardOCP has one being looked over, their review is supposed to be up in a couple of days or so. Is the timing based on IDF, or Hammer's debut? Tough to say.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
    Don't step in the sarcasm!
  25. Quote:
    Hey I have a question. If the Hammer is supposedly a powerhouse of performance, why did they not run any benchmarks during the demo?

Because it was first silicon running at much less than stock clock mr synical. lol.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  26. Quote:
    Juin, what the hell are you talking about? There's no way you could know that it was running at 800MHz.

ANand theorised this speed based on what amd said about the speed of the chip etc.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
  27. I don't think putting them into the same socket is possible. The pin density on Sledgehammer looks to be higher than that of Clawhammer, though it's hard to tell from the pics.
  28. "How do you notice a melody when they are showing pictures?
    What and where are you refering to? or is this simply more of your FUD?"

oh, sorry I forgot I was dealing with a bunch of morons.

here's the link:
    <A HREF="http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/shows/2002/SpringIDF/day 2/hammer/solo3.jpg" target="_new">5 notes</A>

look underneath the bar codes that is directly under the word "Solo".

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
  29. yes.

30. "All I have to say is....HEAT SPREADER WOOOH!"

YES!!! Running cooler + better cooling, no more cracking/chipping when people screw up with the heatsink installation, did I say better cooling? LOL

But how are you going to O/C it? No more L1 filling? (I know crap about the CPU, only looking at the pictures)

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
  31. Are you seriously getting your nuts all twisted up over some notes on a mainboard? If so, then, wow... I'm not a music major or anything, but that kinda looks like 6 notes, not 5 anyway. Try playing them on your Fisher Price keyboard to see how they sound compared to Intel's notes. Grow up already.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
  32. If Intel's jingle is copyrighted, then it is copyright infringement, and Intel could sue. Course, they couldn't sue for much, since it's a reference board, so I doubt they'd bother.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  33. "Are you seriously getting your nuts all twisted up over some notes on a mainboard? If so, then, wow... I'm not a music major or anything, but that kinda looks like 6 notes, not 5 anyway. Try playing them on your Fisher Price keyboard to see how they sound compared to Intel's notes. Grow up already"

what are you too busy whacking off to the hammer news to even bother to count the notes? oh, that's right you're no music major or minor!

fyi, I don't need to play 'em on a keyboard, notes are like words to me, you fool!

LOL! Amd shows a system runing at what speed? and you guys are spanking the monkey, over this little bit! lol

AMD didn't even let thg do a system restart so that the post would tell the real story.

check out hardocp and get back to me to tell how stupid you feel.

34. While I agree that Melt is quibbling, those notes are indeed the same tune as the Intel notes. Whether he plays them on his Fischer Price piano or a real one, they are the notes.

Now, I'm not certain Intel owns a trademark on those notes, NOR am I certain AMD is violating anything since AMD is not selling the product, merely demonstrating their product.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
  35. According to Anand, the Hammer was running a 64 bit version of Linux and a 32 bit version of Windows.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
  36. "While I agree that Melt is quibbling, those notes are indeed the same tune as the Intel notes. Whether he plays them on his Fischer Price piano or a real one, they are the notes.

Now, I'm not certain Intel owns a trademark on those notes, NOR am I certain AMD is violating anything since AMD is not selling the product, merely demonstrating their product."

first off, I'm not "quibbling" Intel does indeed hold the copyright to that 5 note jingle, it defines them and it is instantly recognizable. what AMD is doing is publishing that music on their mainboards in public view, this is illegal unless they purchase the rights to it.

that 5 note melody cost Intel a pretty penny and Intel will do everything possible to prevent AMD from diluting it.

AMD is in the wrong here and I wouldn't be surprised if the retail boards end up missing that melody.

37. Yeup, and THG's does too now that I read it again. Did I read it wrong, or was it changed, or am I not remembering where I saw that? Hmm...

38. Lol, i'm sure anyone other than you even cares about that stupid melody.

39. <blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>If the Hammer is supposedly a powerhouse of performance, why did they not run any benchmarks during the demo?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Because they don't want to give Intel the advantage of knowing exactly what they are up against.

Also one should not expect peak performance at this early stage in development. But definitely it shows that AMD has a lot of things up and running already. If I was in Intels shoes, I would be very nervous about the future. Being an Intel employe it must be like getting a bucket of cold water straight in the face. It really makes Northwood look like a boyscout.

I feel kind of sad on behalf of Intel, this big giant who used to be in complete control. They are loosing it. Intel has not been aiming for the stars in their development, like AMD apparently did. Instead Intel has tried to dose technology at a pace which it originally thought would be sufficient to keep AMD behind.

One thing is sure; the Pentium 4 as we know it, won't be a match for AMD's clawhammer at the end of this year, which leaves Intel with very short time to come up with a proper response.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
    Bad performance in RAID setups!
    </i></b>
  40. I think you read it wrong fatburger.

41. I commend you on that slam. That is one of the funniest i've seen posted in a while.

<b>"Taurelilomea-tumbalemorna Tumbaletaurea Lomeanor" - Treebeard</b> :lol:
  42. Well, I noticed too that THG was saying 64-bit Windows. I haven't checked back to see if THG changed it, but I'd assume that it was actually 32-bit XP. I don't think the extensions in WinXP 64-bit exist to support x86-64... but I could be wrong.

-SammyBoy
  43. I too read 64bit this morning...unless it was morning and I was still sleepy...
    I also am sure MS would not just do a WinXP IA64, they know it would not succeed. So that WinXP 64bit is definitly x86-64.

--
    For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
  44. Quote:
    One thing is sure; the Pentium 4 as we know it, won't be a match for AMD's clawhammer at the end of this year, which leaves Intel with very short time to come up with a proper response.

Sorry, I am going to disagree here. How could you possibly know how well the hammer performs if they refuse to show even a simple CPU benchmark? I personally do not believe the hammer will outperform whatever Pentium 4 processor is out when it is finally released to the public. But neither of us will know until it is released.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
  45. It says 32-bit Windows.

-Raystonn

46. Quote:
    Ray, I noticed that the reference board has what appears to be Intels 5 note melody, I don't think ppl can publish any music without a license even if it's on a motherboard.

Yes, that is the Intel jingle. Yes, it is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation. No, AMD did not get permission to use it. No, AMD is not planning on keeping it there for any product that makes it to market.

For those who think this is making a big deal of nothing, I offer the following advice. By law, Intel Corporation must make every effort to protect its copyrighted, trademarked, and patented property. If this is not done, according to the law that property moves into the public domain. Thus, you either protect it 100% or you give it up to the public domain. There is no in-between according to the law. Thus, Intel is forced to act on even the smallest of infringements with at least a legal letter, even if the infringement is just a small joke. All companies are required to do this.

-Raystonn

47. Yes, it says 32-bit now, but three of us think we saw 64-bit. Either all of us are wrong, or it was a typo that got corrected. At any rate, we know it's 32-bit Windows XP, so no big deal.

Copenhagen, I think you're blowing things a bit out of proportion. We have seen no benchmarks whatsoever, and if speculation that the Hammer was running at 800-1000MHz or so, I seriously doubt it would outperform even current P4s at that speed. Release clockspeeds will of course tell a different story, but let's wait until then until suddenly rushing out and pre-ordering them on eBay. Hmm...I wonder if there are any auctions for them up yet...

Ray, I'm going to have to disagree with you on copyright infringment. By law, you own the copyright to musical compositions for 50 years. At that time, the original author may renew it, otherwise it becomes public domain and is free from any royalty costs needed.
    The company I work for was founded because of an $11 million copyright infringement lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Chicago, so I know a little bit about copyright matters.

48. Quote:
    Sorry, I am going to disagree here. How could you possibly know how well the hammer performs if they refuse to show even a simple CPU benchmark? I personally do not believe the hammer will outperform whatever Pentium 4 processor is out when it is finally released to the public. But neither of us will know until it is released.

-Raystonn

Think we oughta jot that one down and remember it at release =p.

49. Heh, two more people who saw that THG's article said it was 64-bit Windows <A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=44&threadid=726520" target="_new">here</A>. I'm officially not crazy, just overly sarcastic.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs