Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Didn't see it posted here yet so <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1591" target="_new">Here</A>.

Discuss

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Holy christ, that is a radically different looking chip. Well, Anandtech beat Tom like a dog. Tom has a few pics of the lobby and Anand has demos (gay ones) of Hammer. Though I am sure Tom is working on it.
Anyway, everything about that mobo is different. Looks cool. Thought the AGP thing concerns me. But since we are 8+ months from production, Im sure everything will be fine.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
BTW does anyone else find it amusing that the Hammer mades its first public appearance at the INTEL developers forum?

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I'd say it makes perfect sense, since AMD will want to steal the spotlight from anything Intel might want to present.
All I have to say is....HEAT SPREADER WOOOH!

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Hopefully we will get benchmarks at Cebit. Im not holding my breath though. Seeing the chip is nice, seeing a bouncing ball on the screen isnt.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Amd better stop f'n around! that melody belongs to Intel! it's litigation time, if they don't have the right to publish it.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The bouncing ball was a technology demo, showing the capabilities of 32bit and 64bit simultaneous processoring (pretty damn cool if you ask me as I'm a fan of my 32bit code). And by the way, I think that AMD rented a hotel suite just down the street from the actual IDF, but they were apparently handing out invites to people entering IDF. hehehe, using Intels draw to showcase their own product, that's pretty funny.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Hey I have a question. If the Hammer is supposedly a powerhouse of performance, why did they not run any benchmarks during the demo?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that was cool! interesting, the motherboard with no 64 bit PCI slots, onboard audio and just 2 DIMM slots, just 2 USB ports and a cool CPU! look at the heatsink/fan, pretty small, guess it consumes lesser power! but the other components seem to use much more of it, that 4pin extra P4 powre connector just besides the standard ATX power connector is interesting!

its a demo board anyway, commercial boards would be much better!

looks like its the clawhammer, the desktop processor.

still waiting for the server sledgehammer...

girish

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ray, I noticed that the reference board has what appears to be Intels 5 note melody, I don't think ppl can publish any music without a license even if it's on a motherboard.

man, those AMDmongrels are getting evil.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
They probably didn't run any benchmarks because the CPU they were demoing was running at a lower clock speed than they plan to release it at.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Intels 5 note melody? If you're talking about the melody in those Pentium 4 adds, doesn't that have 4 notes?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Intels 5 note melody? If you're talking about the melody in those Pentium 4 adds, doesn't that have 4 notes?"

duh....duh, duh, duh, da!

5 notes

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 02/27/02 04:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
probably true, this chip must be just the demo chip running at lower speeds. its the proof of concept.

actually i would like to see it right from the beginning, the startup screenshot, its bootup, loading of Windows or Linux and running freecell!

and then i would like to run the benchmarks. I hope all the benches will be updated for the hammer. maybe this is the reason, there are no bnchmarks for the 64 bit x86 processors! they are all in a class of their own.

wait for a while...!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
do you mean <A HREF="http://www.kakofonia.stopklatka.pl/ENG/ENGcomme/intel.wav" target="_new">this</A>?

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, it would be interesting if the Clawhammer 754 pin package is compatible with the Sledgehammer 940 pin socket.

AMD shouldnt play the change-the-socket (and the board) game with a ambitious project as this one! just one 940/754 pin socket specification would be cool for the Hammer systems. one would define their relation like the Pentium-Celeron or Athlon-Duron one, that is actually is so!

girish

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
just one 940/754 pin socket specification would be cool for the Hammer systems.
While I agree that this would be cool, it's unlikely that you'd have either/or mobos. The sledgehammer has a dual-channel memory subsystem and the clawhammer single-channel (as the memory controllers are on the CPU). This extra 64 bit pathway is described as a major reason for the extra pins. Creating a single mobo for both chips would be extremely complicated. If you can't use both chips on the same board, having different sockets is better; it prevents you from installing the wrong chip.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This extra 64 bit pathway is described as a major reason for the extra pins. Creating a single mobo for both chips would be extremely complicated. If you can't use both chips on the same board, having different sockets is better; it prevents you from installing the wrong chip.

Its of course not just the physical compatibility, much more important is the electrical and functional compatibility. In fact, a single specification for mPGA754/940 socket would be easier if you consider the mPGA754 socket to be a subset of mPGA940. all the extra connections on the 940 pin socket with be terminated properly or ignored on a 754 pin processor. This job obviously has to be carried out by the motherboard, and the processor correctly identified by the BIOS.

to get the idea, see how 16 bit USA was developed with 8 bit ISA compatibility, how 32 bit and 64 bit (3.3V and 5V, 33 and 66 MHz) PCI slots share the specification. even the AGPPro slot also is backwards compatible with the older AGP slot. Its not too difficult to achieve 754 and 940 pin compatibility.

I guess they already have specified the pinouts, lets hope they are compatible. looking at the pics, I could imagine the 754 pin processor getting well into a 940 pin socket. just make the 940 pin micoPGA socket a universal platform for all Hammers and its successors, just as PGA462 is for the complete range of
Durons(Spitfire->Morgan->Appaloosa)->Athlon(Thunderbird->Palomino->Thoroughbred->Barton) and possibly even more!

AMD shouldnt go the Intel way on sockets, it already has gone a bit on mPGA and ATX12V way.

girish

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Since this now seems to be the official "Hammer is coming" thread, can anyone say bye-bye multiplier adjustment once we are on hammers?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I noticed that the reference board has what appears to be Intels 5 note melody
How do you notice a melody when they are showing pictures?

What and where are you refering to? or is this simply more of your FUD?

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Ray, nice to see ya.

But, Anandtech mentions that the reason for a lack of benches is that a) The AGP slot of the Solo 2 isn't working outside of labs yet (sad fact, but again, release time is 6-8 months away) and b) These were A0 steppings, and as such, are less than 30 days old, so I think it'd be safe to say that they aren't quite up to engineering sample level yet. Also, they don't have them running at full speed yet.

This was a ploy by AMD to show a couple things; they have working silicon of the Hammer line, and that they wanted to steal some thunder from Intel at the IDF. Marketing-wise, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ethics-wise, eh, who cares. Ethics get you killed in cutthroat business ventures.

-SammyBoy

FatBurger

Illustrious
My thoughts:

Juin, what the hell are you talking about? There's no way you could know that it was running at 800MHz.

Most surprising, did anyone else notice that Hammer was running 64-bit Windows? Umm...hello?!? Apparently Microsoft likes x86-64 more than some people would think.

No benchmarks, but I'm not really surprised. Hammer is very, very new, AMD just wanted to prove to the world that they had working silicon, not prove their performance claims. That will come later, I'm sure.

Interesting that Intel sent out 133(533) CPUs for testing. THG obviously reviewed one, and I know that HardOCP has one being looked over, their review is supposed to be up in a couple of days or so. Is the timing based on IDF, or Hammer's debut? Tough to say.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!