Sign in with
Your question

What's wrong with my computer?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2002 2:14:00 PM

This is a problem that has only started recently and I don't remember doing anything strange with my computer either. Anyway, here's the deal:

Whenever I'm doings "something" on my computer whether it's playing games, coding, reading, talking, etc, my computer will randomly start emitting a loud beeping noise. The beeping noise is continuous and does not stop unless I turn off the computer. In addition to the noise, my computer freezes up within 5 seconds of the noise, my mouse/keyboard/NOTHING works after it happens. I have to reset for my computer to return to a normal state. I am unsure as to whether or not this is a hardware issue...or a software issue. So I'm hoping you guys have some sort of insight as to what's going on.

Here are my computer specs:
1.2 Athlon
256 DDR RAM
ASUS A7A266 Motherboard
Western Digital 40 GB HD 7200 RPM...

I don't think the other components are that important. If anyone can help that'd be great. Suggestions and/or answers are welcomed.

Also, just to let you fellas know, I have not overclocked my computer...but from what people are telling me, they think it's an overheating issue though. ...

More about : wrong computer

February 27, 2002 2:49:33 PM

Could be overheating. Do you have a hardware monitoring program? Hardware Doctor (came with my Abit TH7II-RAID) beeps like that, although the computer doesn't freeze. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Then I adjusted the settings to where it should be, so I'm ok.

Anyhow, check what programs are running. My hunch is that it's software.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
February 27, 2002 2:55:57 PM

My first thought would be overheating... and if it's really overheating to its limits that could explain it locking up...

Another thought I had (although I have no basis for this other than it seems kinda cool) would be that it could be a virus of some sort. Oh the genious of making a virus that would cause an annoying continuous beep and then cause your system to lock up... hehe...
Related resources
February 27, 2002 3:12:31 PM

My bet would be overheating.
On my old Cyrix M2 300 in the summer or doing something intense (archiving, compiling or playing games) begins to beep like this: beeeep. The only way out is to shut down the PC and wait (in my case 15-30 min). Didn't hame any lock-ups

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Edvardas on 02/28/02 10:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 27, 2002 3:15:42 PM

Thanks for increasing the horizontal capacity of this thread :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2002 12:51:52 AM

Hm...if it's an overheating issue, should I just get a new fan? I don't remember what kind of fan I got, it's just some generic fan for AMD I picked up at the local electronics store. Is there a particular fan that works really well? If so, I'd like to get it so that I can actually do real work on my computer without having it freak out on me. =)
February 28, 2002 12:58:58 AM

a coolermaster or a volcano 6 should do the trick.
u shouldnt need anything excessive
just remember to be careful, clean the cpu core thouroughly and reapply a small amount of thermal paste.

another note... is it particularly dusty inside your case? if so you chould clean the dust out the heatsink. that might help

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:
February 28, 2002 2:27:24 AM

delete your 3 page wide beep so we can read the thread without scrolling like mad.
thanks.

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
February 28, 2002 2:56:51 AM

Agreed Edvardas; this kind of thing (the massive beep) could get you flamed off your ISP in the old days.

74merc: "Better to be silent and thought and idiot than to speak and remove all doubt"

For the prideful, maybe, but for the humble this affords one the opportunity to learn.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2002 4:16:26 AM

Hm, I think the fan I bought was a volcano.

Pardon me if I sound like a total newb, but I'm sorta new to this stuff...but what exactly is thermal paste? I never knew that it was necessary for anyone to go and do that kind of maintenence on your computer. For my old 366 Celeron Pavilion I never had to do that, it was dusty as hell and I lived in a blissful world ignorant of thermal paste. ;) 

I'm just curious as to why after a few months of owning this new computer, I'd have to do this kind of maintenance.
February 28, 2002 8:28:29 AM

ahhh. a relitavely new computer huh. hmmmm.

have u actually watched the heatsink/fan in action? is it clipped on firmly? doe the fan spin fast at a constant speed?

one would expect a new computer to go well for sometime, unless something was set up poorly to begin with.

also... go into your bios, and have a look around (u dont have to change anything just yet). does your bios have some temperature monitoring settings? if so what are they set to. it just could be that the temp cutoff is set too low, and some action is triggering it.

assuming it IS a temp cutoff... but i cant think what else it could be.

has ANYTHING changed when the problem started?
room is warmer? doing alot of work? installed anything just before it occured?

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:
February 28, 2002 11:24:06 AM

that quote is pertaining more towards statements and discussions rather than questions.
If you don't know that of which you speak, don't pretend to.
There are far to many car guys, computer guys, etc, that don't know a damn thing, and rather than ask, they BS.

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
February 28, 2002 12:08:54 PM

I was actually being a little more philosophical - ya know - life in general, not accusing you of being elitist. :smile:

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
February 28, 2002 12:26:05 PM

well, there's a huge differece between being ignorant and being a fool, hence the phrasing. :) 
In general, fools are ashamed of being ignorant and won't ask the questions needed to learn.
There's nothing wrong with not having knowledge if you seek it.

!