Photoshop processor?

how786

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Hi,
I do a lot of work with Photoshop. No 3-D. Just image files as large as 250 meg. Assuming I get 1-1.5 gig. of RAM,

1-Should I buy a single or dual processor system?
2-AMD or IBM?
3-While I'm at it, what MB, please?

Thanks....by the way, I'm not in a big hurry.
Howard

"We can do no great things, Only small things with Great Love"
Mother Theresa

FatBurger

Illustrious
If the ONLY thing you use is Photoshp, then I'd advise you get a Mac. Mac rules at Photoshop, and sucks at everything else :tongue:

1. Dual, if you can afford it. I belive Photoshop 6.0 is SMP-enabled (can anyone confirm? I'm not quite sure), but as a side benefit if it is not, you will be able to leave huge jobs running and do other things on the other processor (W2k or WinXP).

2. Umm...IBM? For a desktop dually system, you basically have the choice of either Athlon (good choice, performance/prise-wise), or P3 (not as good performance-wise).

3. Well that depends on how much you want to spend, whether you want onboard SCSI, NIC, etc., and what processor you choose.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

how786

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Thanks!
I'll go dual. AMD if P4 not significantly superior in PS performance.
Cost not an issue for the MB...just want something that is rock-solid for the duals. Also that will support a top quality video card.
Well, I will prob. buy 3 scsi 15k cheetahs or the like.
Do you recommend on-baords scsi controller or what I usually get: Adaptec card.
What did ya mean by IBM???? I know they make decent HDs.
Thanks
How

Mother Theresa

how786

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Sorry...MAC is not an option.

Mother Theresa

FatBurger

Illustrious
First, dual P4 boards are just starting to show up. The Athlon will probably be a better bet, as the Xeons required for a Dual P4 setup are still a bit pricey. Your call, of course.

For the motherboard, check out the Tyan Thunder version for Athlon. It is available with onboard Ultra160, although you'll pay for the difference. I believe the board is around $500, and is supposed to be rock solid. Yahiko81 has one, you can ask him about it.

There are new MPX chipset boards out. The only difference in the chipset is that they handle the PCI bus better. That shouldn't be a big deal for most people, but they're probably worth checking out. Asus and MSI have versions out, I can't remember who else does. Check <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">PriceWatch</A> for what's around and at what prices.

Don't look at me, you're the one who brought up IBM as a choice for a processor.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!