Best P4 MB (478) for overclocking?

sneakerski

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2001
I've been a fan of AMD for a while, but after seeing the capabilities of the lower speed P4A's, with their low cost (for intel), I'm reconsidering just overclocking a 1.6A. Do any of you (I'm sure someone does) have any recommendations on the best (as in stable, high performance, high value) MB for the P4 478?
Thanks!

I live on Mars. I know nothing. God help me when it comes to computers.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The TH7II-RAID was my choice. Not the cheapest, but stable and a good overclocker.
I have a thread going in the CPU overclocking section, I'll be detailing my experience. Check it out if you want.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

eden

Champion
Ahh finally a new OCer here!
Yes the TH7 II is nice to OC with.
If you prefer DDR to reach higher speeds with no limitations or instabilities, try out the Asus S333 with SiS 645 chipset. Relatively cheaper than other mobos and supports DDR 333.
I dunno about the Asus P4TE, many say it ain't as OCable than others...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

eden

Champion
Ahh finally a new OCer here!
Yes the TH7 II is nice to OC with.
If you prefer DDR to reach higher speeds with no limitations or instabilities, try out the Asus S333 with SiS 645 chipset. Relatively cheaper than other mobos and supports DDR 333.
I dunno about the Asus P4TE, many say it ain't as OCable than others...
Do tell us the results when you get whatever mobo!

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
Upec, do you have one? I have a question if so (or for anyone else who has one).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

caater

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
Yeah, th7 with newer, ICS ****-13 drgc's are good. friend of mine has ics ****-03 parts and memory won't go even up to 533Mhz.. Mine is 540-560mhz stable.
But it could be ram, too.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hmm...I'll have to check mine, I haven't looked.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Eden, your clueless.

The Sis645 and Via P4X266 suck ass for ovreclocking and stability while overclocked. I have tested these chipsets and was disappointed.

Go with the Abit TH7-II and P4 1.6A or the 1.8A if your planning on overclocking. Maylay chips are better than Costa rica chips based upon reports.

The P4T-E is a good overclocking board and stronger than the TH7-II at same clock speeds. The P4T-E will require you to set the jumpers if you want to break 133FSB, This board does not have 1Mhz increments.

I like my P4T-E, very fast booting and vrey stable. I would would even recomend a P4T-E + P4 1.6A @ 125FSB without dropping AGP or memory speeds. This will whip up on the 2.0a at stock speeds.

I am runng both TH7-II w/ RAID/GF3 @ 2.4Ghz and P4T-E/Radeon 8500 @ 2.25Ghz at home now. Radeon outscores the GF3 by at least 1k, the drivers still suck though.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Fugger .. I am also disapointed with the sis 645(soyo p4S dragon ultra).. I am considering getting a p4t-e and 512 rdram to replace it .. what are your thoughts since I have the 2.0a chip worth the expense or no ??

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

G

I've got one. Very nice features indeed

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, from the reviews I've seen, the P4S333 isn't too bad, but it's unlikely to reach a 133/533MHz FSB. I recommend the ABit BD7 for DDR and overclocking. It includes all the overclocking features of the ABit TH7-II.

BTW, Fugger, I recommend you run the 6043/9017 drivers for your R8500. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Asus P4T-E posted as high as 150 MHz (600 MHz Quad pumped) FSB in a review at acehardware, that too with RDRAM which isnt quite a overclocking material! RDRAM modules were pretty high quality I guess.

And the board supports upto 200 MHz (800 MHz Quad pumped) FSB so that future Northwood-B and Prescott-A (533 MHz FSB) Prescott-B (667 MHz FSB) and maybe a future 800 MHz FSB too! With proper PC1066 or better modules in place, it would be the most future-proof and stable system in coming times!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

sir_jakontil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
girish, what u mean by this? "And the board supports upto 200 MHz (800 MHz Quad pumped) FSB so that future Northwood-B and Prescott-A (533 MHz FSB) Prescott-B (667 MHz FSB) and maybe a future 800 MHz FSB too"

does it mean that it may support the future CPU, say the prescott?? cos i just got my P4T-e powered by 1.8A and all i can say it is the best!!!! jumper helps overclock at 1979mhz and FBS at 440mhz........=)

AMD is good, but Intel is more fun

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, yes! its my speculation that the Precotts will be mPGA478, unless Intel decides otherwise!

wouldnt you be happy if you dont need to change the motherboard each time you upgrade the CPU? well, P4T-E (and TH7-II and a few more) serves just that! All you have to do is update the BIOS and pop in the new processor and you are done! All later Intel CPUs will have faster and faster FSBs, thats for sure. What I would expect from a board is to support all those.

The Intel D850MV for mPGA478 is a great board, but I would say using it would be a bit short-sighted since the Northwood-B processors are not far away, and you will be stuck with the A ones! Any intel board wont allow any sort of overclocking.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
God knows Intel wants to stay with 478 on Prescott....only time will tell...but I am already getting bad vibes..

--

sir_jakontil

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
HELL YES girish!!! i got rid of my intel mobo 850GB of one year in the sake of this northwood processor, cos i believe as generally speaking, the willamette socket is such a let down, thats why i got the asus P4T-E......

and i never expect if this processor may be able to support the northwood B or even the Prescott socket....but in anyway, keep my finger crossed hoping that this mobo may support them and be around for some time...=)

AMD is good, but Intel is more fun

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I volt modded my TH7-II this weekend, bringing my vcore to 1.9 on <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/report2709.htm" target="_new">this benchmark</A>. This benchmark also shows my memory at 540Mhz. The volt mod is very easy, you connect pin #7 from HIP3601 to the center pin of a 47k ohm variable resistor and left or right pin to ground. I also kicked my 3Dmark score up some more #6 on first page with <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2973204" target="_new">13,769 default</A>

I scored an even 13,000 with my P4T-E, having a hard time getting it up to 2.6Ghz without volt mod.

I gave away my Radeon 8500 fully modded. I still have one in the box but I doubt I will try it again. Too much fun with my GF4 twisting it to hell and back.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.