Thermal Paste/Pad for 1.6A

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
I just got my retail P4 1.6A from Newegg for $148 :smile: (I also noticed it now sells for $141 :frown: ). Anyway, the CPU documentation included with the CPU(as well as that on the web) tells me to use the included paste during installation. <b>Well, there is no paste.</b> However, the bottom of the HSF does have a black 1.5" X 1.5" black 'pad' on it (at least that's what I think it is). I just want to make sure that I am correct. This pad isn't much, and I would hate to burn this chip up in my first weekend. Again, this is a retail CPU. <font color=blue>So, am I going to be OK, popping it in as is, or do I need to get anything else (like paste)? </font color=blue>Thanks.

-Rick

FatBurger

Illustrious
I used the pad when I installed. If you only see half of this post, then you'll know my P4 fried :wink:
You'd be hard-pressed to fry a P4, I've only heard of one.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

I tried artic silver 2, and noticed only a 1-2 degree difference. Stick with the pad, but install it only once. If you re-install it, use a tiny dab of whatever thermal paste you have, and lap it over the top with a credit card or other non-abrasive flat object. At the default settings, the max temp is about 40 celcius, unless you have no case fans. Raising the vcore voltage to 1.6 and the temps rise only 2-3 degrees. Once you have the heatsink set and seated properly, leave it alone.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
The black "pad" is thermal grease and is ok for the hsf you can get arctic silver III from <A HREF="http://www.heatsinkstore.com/arsiliii30gs.html" target="_new"> Here </A> for 6.99 inc shipping.. the intel site states that if you ever remove the stock hsf and want to put it back on, to clean off the oem paste and apply a new coating .. in any case it is always good to have some of this stuff around for vid card fan mods etc .. final gains in cooling are not seen until 70 hrs or more of up time are passed

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Great, thanks for the answers. If it is anything like my last system, I will put it together and open the case once every year or two to make sure there's no mice living in there :smile: . Other than that, the case stays shut! Thanks again everyone, your help is much-appreciated.

-Rick