Sign in with
Your question

Will this system handle 4.1 speakers?

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2002 2:23:36 AM

Sorry if this might be a little off-topic, I figured some knew quite about power supplies questions here.
I am about to buy 4.1 speakers, the Labtec Arena 530 ones, set of 5 speakers, 4+1 sub. What I am wondering is if my Antec P303X 300W is more than enough to handle that?
My system is below:
AXP 1600+
Epox 8KHA+
256DDR
Asus V8200 GF3 Ti200 clocked 200/440
Antec 300W
SB LIVE! 5.1 DE
WinXP
DSL

I also am wondering what is there to reconfigure after installing the speakers? Are there some tweaks to change for the SB LIVE, or something to recognize and use surround anytime? Or is it auto-configured?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

More about : system handle speakers

March 1, 2002 2:56:37 AM

Yes, it will handle a 4.1 system

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.
March 1, 2002 4:06:24 AM

The speakers should plug into the wall directly, not get power from the PSU.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
Related resources
March 1, 2002 4:36:33 AM

Quote:
The speakers should plug into the wall directly, not get power from the PSU.

Bingo

The speakers will probably plug into the subwoofer which plugs into the wall outlet(110V). A cable(s) will connect the sub to the soundcard (back of the computer). The power supply has nothing to do with powering the speakers.
March 1, 2002 7:57:45 AM

do you know whats amplification ?

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.
March 1, 2002 10:53:05 AM

What about software configuration for it to use the 4.1?
Also are there instructions that tell you in which slot do some wires go in, since the SB card has so many colored jacks in the back, it's too confusing, and you can't read as it's very close to the wall!

--
March 1, 2002 2:40:48 PM

Just look it up or ask someone, that's not hard to find out.

The only thing plugging into the wall is the power, the signal still comes from the sound card. The only speakers that don't plug into the wall are unpowered ones, those only take the signal from the sound card and don't amplify it at all. They basically don't exist anymore.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 1, 2002 2:42:50 PM

Double post sorry...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by varlo on 03/01/02 11:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 1, 2002 2:43:46 PM

Quote:
What about software configuration for it to use the 4.1?

With your SB 5.1 you wont have any problems ,just go in your sound settings(start/settings/control panel/sound ) and you will have the option wright there(in the settings it will even tell you the color codes!).

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek: 
March 1, 2002 7:55:03 PM

Hmm yeah I saw the Speaker option in WinXP, but should I choose Quadrophonic Speakers or Surround Speakers??

--
March 1, 2002 8:17:07 PM

Surround will give you the best sound.
Quadrophonic is in short terms 1 stereo chanel in front and 1 stereo chanel in the back separate one from the other.
Surround will work the 4 station speakers indepandently.

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek: 
March 1, 2002 11:35:41 PM

Ok I got the speakers. They are awesome! I didn't set surround on account of not knowing what would change. Quadrophonic is nice, although I am not experienced to know what is different yet and I am still experimenting. It's neat!

--
!