ASUS K61IC X1 - Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz upgrade help

All, i've got a decent laptop I've been messing around with for about 6 months. The HD is a bit slow and the ram could use a bump but overall it's a pretty fast and stable system. Any ideas for upgrades you could offer?

2.53GHz Intel P8700 Core 2 Duo Processor
4GB of DDR2 RAM, 2 slots, 6GB Max
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM), DVD Super Multi Drive
16-Inch HD LCD Display, NVidia GT 220M Graphics with 1GB DDR2 VRAM, Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn, 1.3M Webcam
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
4 answers Last reply
More about asus k61ic core t6600 upgrade help
  1. Laptop upgrades are generally very expensive and not worth the time, money, or effort.
    I think the laptop is pretty decent. If your hard drive is slow, and you are getting let's say... a score below 5.5 in WEI (Windows Experience Index), then defrag it, and use ccleaner to get rid of temps and dead registries.
  2. After doing some research and hearing from people like you i'm thinking the only remote possibility would be switching out the HD for a SSD.
  3. A SSD upgrade will speed up storgage access but won't be a 'game changer' when it comes to performance.
    That P8700 C2D is not at all shabby and its well matched with a 7200rpm HDD IMO.

Since a SSD upgrade would 'move' with you over to your next laptop it's not a bad idea, but I'd vote to save the ~$125 or so a decent SSD would cost and use that toward your next laptop.
  4. Thank you to both of you for the responses. I guess i'd rather save the money at this time. The computer is not slow at all, but i like speed when it comes to gaming.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops