Which would be better?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
alright, i've been off the computer scene for awhile so I kinda forget and don't quite remember.

I'm torn between getting an AthlonXP 2000, (and overclock it), or getting a Northwood 1.6A..... My watercooler shoudl overclock them quite nicely, but I was wondering which one would be faster after overclocking? Like, I'm expecting 2GHZ out of the athlon and possibly higher with the northwood (with my watercooler of course). I just dunno which one's better.

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get a 1700+ and overclock that, you will most likely reach the same or close to the same level of the 2000+'s overclock, and save 100+. And when the tbred comes out, pop that in for EXTREME overclocking.

The NW 1.6a is ok, but you have to get just the exact components to take you very high, and even then, unless you go over 2.4ghz the extra 50 bucks over the 1700+ is not worth it. The limit for the p4 chip is not the cpu itself, but the ram and mobo, so your watercooler would be rather useless. It is not so much about the chip, but about the ram IMO for the p4 OC.

My advice, pick up the 1700+, cheap and fast(even a 1600+ would be good, but the 1700 is only 5 bucks more).
Or wait till the tbred next month or so. With the ability to unlock your watercooler would be put to good use, unlike the p4 solution where the cpu mostlikely will not be the bottleneck.

Or you could do like fugger and take everything out of your pc except the video to get that 2.6ghz speed!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, i also had the dillema of the RAMBUS P4 board, or the DDR p4 board. It seems that the 2.6GHz on rambus is faster than the 3GHz with DDR, however i don't wish to run my system on such high AGP and PCI bus frequencies (as when i buy this stuff i'll probably get a GeForce4 or something as well)....

Not talking about money now, would an athlon overclocked or a 2.2GHz northwood (with DDR, since it will go higher and also not run my buses up too high) be better?......

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Money aside.

The NW 2.2 overclocked to its max on a ddr board would dominate the max axp. The .13micron process ensures that.(in 1 month the tbred will change this however) but today, money aside, the NW would dominate.

The only thing that the axp can do to counter is max itself out around 2ghz real clock speed, MAYBE reaching about 2800mhz p4/ddr performance, more if you upped the fsb to 166.

SO price aside, the NW would be the better performer.

With money included, you would be crazy to pay 500 bucks for a cpu which at 3ghz would outperform a 108$ cpu by about 10%(or so).(axp1700+@166fsb@1900-2000mhz).

IMO the choice is rather clear(axp, its 400 less, theres your gf4), however I would reccomend rambus for the p4 regardless, ddr is too much of a performance hit.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Matisaro = FUD

Pile on the BS

I dont pull out all my parts for 2.6Ghz, that was to help Fatburger eliminate all variables to solve a problem. GG

I can reach/post 3Ghz with the 1.6A if I pull all my part out. Im benching with stability @ 2.6Ghz with sound and PCI card installed on air no watercooling, pelts or LN2.

The 1.6A is $140 and overclocks extreamly well, your using watercooling so you should go far with overclocking.

www.vr-zone.com has a nice list of Northwood overclocks even a 1.6A hitting 3.6Ghz

BTW Matisaro, anyone who benches for highest possible score with Intel or AMD pull the hardware.

With the 1.6A you get extreme overclocking potential and little to no risk of a core meltdown.

My lil 1.6a will spank any 2000+ overclocked =) the 1700+ doesnt have a chance in hell.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm.... gives me something to think about. The thing I don't like about the new AMD cpu's is that I can't overclock that high without doing some sort of voltage mod - which i did to my old A7V and fried it. The new tbreds, where can i get info on them???

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With the TH7-II you dont have to worry about running PCI/AGP/Mem at unsafe levels.

Even with the 2000+ you have very very very very very very very small chance of reaching 2Ghz and if you do, you will not be able to run at that speed for any length of time.

Check out vr-zone.com's XP overclocking database, the site is slow be patiant. skip the first page, those guys use every mod in the book just to post at 2Ghz and boot into windows for the SS of Wcpuid. Your not in the LN2, Vapochill, dry ice league let alone every possible volt mod known.

My motherboard is virgin, no mods.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LoL, fff.

Run along fugger, nothing I said was untrue or FUD.

All I said was his rambus would be the limiting factor, I never said the chip wouldnt go to 3ghz, infact I made it clear that the .13micron process allows the p4 to go very high, why so defensive?

You pull out all your parts to get the 3ghz overclock, my comment on that is 100% TRUE. Quit complaining and live with it.

My lil 1.6a will spank any 2000+ overclocked =) the 1700+ doesnt have a chance in hell.

If you knew anything about overclocking an amd, the 2000+ and the 1700+ both top out about the same, so for all intents and purposes they are the same chip. Your 1.6a @2.6ghz will NOT beat a axp at 2ghz clockspeed, ESPECIALLY if its at166fsb, so take your fud and misinformation and run along little troll.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
With the TH7-II you dont have to worry about running PCI/AGP/Mem at unsafe levels.

What do you do when you reach a fsb which makes your memory the bottleneck, the chip will still have room to go, but the memory will hold you back.

Even with the 2000+ you have very very very very very very very small chance of reaching 2Ghz and if you do, you will not be able to run at that speed for any length of time.

You have a tiny chance to reach 2000 mhz, but ignore the whole first page of poeple who did, pathetic fugger.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
BTW, fugger. He wouldnt have to reach 2000ghz to make it a great purchase, an overclock to 1900mhz@166fsb would be quite good, and would beat a p4@2.6ghz with ddr ram.

SO again, spread some fud, come on, im waiting.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My 1700+@150fsb is neck and neck with Burgers p4 on rambus@140fsb.

And IM on a kg7raid motherboard not a kt266a or kt333.

A 166fsb 1700+ Would tie a 2.5ghz p4 on rambus(if you could get it that high due to ram limitations), and thusly, it could beat a 2.8-9ghz p4 on ddr according to the proof toms testing gave us.

Its all there laid out plain as day, why cant you see it.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well see the problem is, (and I know this from personal experience hehe), the Athlon chips are VERY VERY EXTREMELY VERY VERY easy to fry/wreck. maybe not the tbred or hammer, i dunno, but the current athlons definately are..... I kind of want to stick with AMD, but I am unsure. Intel's doing not bad lately.... I really have to wait and see what the tbreds do.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agreed, as long as he gets PC2700 and a board that supports the 333MHz without overclocking the PCI and AGP bus, he'll be able to get to 166/333MHz FSB. However, getting the CPU to 2GHz maybe a bit of a stretch with air cooling.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
He has watercooling.

Even 1866mhz is a very good overclock, and will give GOBS of performance.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Well see the problem is, (and I know this from personal experience hehe), the Athlon chips are VERY VERY EXTREMELY VERY VERY easy to fry/wreck. maybe not the tbred or hammer, i dunno, but the current athlons definately are..... I kind of want to stick with AMD, but I am unsure. Intel's doing not bad lately.... I really have to wait and see what the tbreds do.

Yes they can be, but if taken slow, and you dont do anything funky, theres no danger.

There is no need to do any voltage mods, 1.85 in the bios will get you 1900mhz(or thereabouts).

When the tbred is released it will give the same % overclock as the NW, and if the axp can hold out against all but the most extreme p4 oc's(3ghz with nothing in ala fugger) then imagine what the tbred will be able to accomplish@!

All on the same motherboard, so picking up a new kt333 and some pc2700 ram would be a great investment either way.

In fact, the best thing TO do would be get a nice amount of cas 2 pc2700, and a kt333 mobo, and run your current tbird at 166fsb, then when the tbred comes out, purchase it, swap it out and overclock that son of a bitch!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
im using watercooling though.

and if i do go athlon i dunno what mobo to get. im out of touch. hehe.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yes, i went back and read all toms' new stuff that ive missed in the last... 6 months. :)

anyways i've got my list of stuff. the Intel, with the 1.6GHz northwood and gigabyte DDR mobo is $1632 CDN. this is with 512MB PC2700, cpu, mobo, Geforce4 ti 4600, and two 40GB ibm 60gxp's for RAID.

The same setup, just with the A7V333 and Athlon XP1700 is $1600. Now I have the choice, heh... (the system with the Northwood 2.2A was $2169! :eek: ). i will loook through more reviews and stuff, and see if the overclocked 1.6 or xp1700 is better. or you can just tell me. ;)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you dont feel confident you can get more than 2.4ghz out of the p4, the amd setup WILL perform better, if the p4 setup is ddr, then make that number 2.5.

If you can get above 2.5, then you will be ok as far as performance goes to go with the NW, however there is the matter of 30 bucks difference, so why pay more for the same speed.

Totally up to you, but again, the choice is relativly clear IMO.(you would have to get 2.5ghz out of the p4 to make the intel setup worth it, and thats not guarenteed by any means).

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I agree with MAT; go with the AMD system now, save your 30 bucks and save up to replace your proc with a Tbred about 1-2 months after they pop - give 'em time to sell off all of the low yield chips.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, well i probably won't be doing this for another two months anyways, so by the time the tbred rolls around i'll be ready to grab it. :) and the prices of geforce4 will be lower as well. at least they're got friggin crazy like the geforce3 was when it came out ($500+)

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I say this !!!

p4 1.6a + SiS 645 Mobo + DDR 333

DDR 333 runs at 166mhz so you get far with it.

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.

eden

Champion
If Fugger wants to begin a debate (if trolls can do that) or a flame war against you, I sincerly wish him good luck, there's probably no way that troll will ever be able to argue against you! You're damn agressive in debates, like the one with Slvr_Phoenix, and that was one nice informative debate! Fugger better watch his back. And everyone's probably right, the Tbred will make your money much more worth it, because even 66MHZ increases a lot, it equals about 2 P4 releases! This means that OCing it, would almost equal 6 P4s later on! Imagine the value....just imagine... Fugger will be so toppled, he has no chance at all!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well I went at look at the benchmark and it seems a 2.4 / 2.6+ GHz northwood beats a 1.9GHz athlon in the majority of things. Now i've heard that 2.4GHz + can be achieved with the 1.6A........ this is very tough descision!!....