Insider Information Regarding Intel

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2002 3:17:20 AM

To those who know me, they know I have a family member(by marrage) who works at Intel in oregon.

Before he has told me about hyperthreading and that most performance increase numbers people have been throwing around have been overstated.

He is working with mckinley right now(specifically javavm optimisations for epic to those who care).

Tonight we went to a family birthday party, and we discussed cpus as usual, and he layed this one me.

He heard from a coworker in another area that soon(3-6months) Intel will CEASE locking their Multipliers!!!

This is good news for intel IMO.

JUst passing the word along.

(and to those who think I would be making this up, I genrally come down on the amd side of things, why would I?)

Mat

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

More about : insider information intel

March 3, 2002 5:00:51 AM

My friend has a brother who works at mcdonalds, he said your late for work too much Matisaro and that you will never get passed working the drive thru if you dont wash your uniform more often.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
March 3, 2002 5:24:17 AM

That would be very nice of Intel, for all us overclockers.

Actually, it was kinda expected, just dint know when! Remember socket to slot and back? remember Celeron with no-cache and then back to 128k of it? so lock the multiplier, and then let go!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
March 3, 2002 5:37:40 AM

It is absurd that Intel kept the cpu's locked as long as they have .. as I recall it was prompted by some dishonest beige box builders that would oc a 166 to 200 and sell it as a 200 (which it was lol).. it is doubtful that the public would be so easily fooled anymore especially as all of us who OC know the boot description changes when you OC ( eg my old 800eb posts as such ,but when I OC it the post only reads off the mhz the EB designation is gone .. my p-4 reads 2.0a at defaults but loses the correct label at boot when OC'd) They lose nearly nothing in revenue by the few enthusiasts that do OC.. and in fact it is the fine OC-ability of AMD chips and the unlockable multiplier that has many of us recommending them to family friends and employers as economical solutions and these purchases are rarely or never OC'd .. but the recommendation and performance reputation was built on the OC efforts of the enthusiasts .. basically free advertising of the best kind., I think Intel would be wise to unlock their product and let us continue to push the envelope and be free beta testers for them

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>
March 3, 2002 6:08:22 AM

Quote:
My friend has a brother who works at mcdonalds, he said your late for work too much Matisaro and that you will never get passed working the drive thru if you dont wash your uniform more often.

Run along troll, you know I work in the industry.

Why you would flame me for a pro intel post is beyond me though.

March 3, 2002 6:12:55 AM

Unlocking makes sense. Intel enjoys a solid reputation among OEMs and business. Unlocking will help them a little in the enthusiast crowd.
I have thought about getting a P4 to play around with. But I just cant seem to come up the kidney donation they want for it. Maybe after I get a raise I will try and see Intel's legendary stability for myself.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
March 3, 2002 6:31:05 AM

Lol scamtron, wasnt really trying to flame Intel. I seriously cant afford the high-end P4 right now. And
anything that costs a lot i say it requires "a kidney donation"..

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
March 3, 2002 10:35:42 AM

maybe they could do what AMD is doing, unlock the CPU alright, but use the CPUID field to indicate the speed too! So the user can see the real speed at the bootup, and the one found by BIOS. no more *dishonest beige box builders*

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
March 3, 2002 2:53:13 PM

Hmm.. I wonder if they would only unlock the multipliers on the newer P4's (2GHz +)... ?

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>
March 3, 2002 5:14:58 PM

so we have to wait (3-6 months) to know the truth. :) 

maybe it will become reality to attract some ("OC") people which are for now more "AMD fans".
i think if they would do this, Intel is now pretty "frightened" by AMD (previous Intel cpus decrease prices is not entirely sufficient).

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.
March 3, 2002 5:16:53 PM

I would be interested in your "relatives" name. Since he is breaking the NDA agreement with Intel. You realize as some of us here are investors we will report this to Intel corp. for immediate investigation. But since I don’t believe you like I imagine Fugger doesn’t and probably a few other sound members of the rumour hate factory known as THG. Further more since Intel employees don’t have loose lips, like Nvidia Corp. or the sour investors of AMD corp. I am confident your comment is just another false comment that we have all come to expect from THG and a good portion of its members.

-Spuddy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
March 3, 2002 5:37:14 PM

Was this necessary?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
March 3, 2002 5:42:24 PM

I hardly doubt telling us rumors that are going around breaks any type of agreement.

March 3, 2002 6:21:27 PM

That sounds nice... Maybe they saw AMD's dedication to keeping the overclockers happy through Hammer? In any case, what are the advantages of the unlocked multiplier for you guys? Where do you see the best road in using it?

I am sure they will do this eventually, I mean why wouldn't they?
I'm surprised you didn't ask him if he thinks the Prescott should get the missing units back, and what he believes about the Hammer! No offense, cuz I thought this insider info would have more than just the multiplier!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 3, 2002 6:41:06 PM

Spuddy, if you start this again, you'll be banned for the third time, lol.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 3, 2002 8:02:31 PM

yeah but then he'll set a record.

March 3, 2002 9:01:02 PM

not any kind of record to be proud of though.

i wonder how, and of course IF intel stop locking their CPU's what will happen.

amd of course have the little bridges on their cpu's that still prevent the inquisitious newbie from changing the multipliers without a 'fix'

intel have no such bridges to cut... so unlocked really is unlocked. hmmm
cant see that happening to be honest.

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:
March 3, 2002 9:01:42 PM

Sure spud, Im gonna make up pro intel info lol.

Secondly, I know hes violating the intel NDA, and of course I wont give his name(although I have before but he never told me anything big like this).

Thirdly, I really dont care if you believe me or not, he told me himself he heard it from a co-worker(he is in software devlopment himself), so even by his standards it was a rumor.

Fourthly, If the post was anti intel, sure your misbelief would be understandable, but its a PRO INTEL post, why would I make it up.

So run along, and dont flame people for no reason spud.

(PS: acusing the whole forum of being a hate factory probably wont keep you in fredi's good graces pal)

March 3, 2002 9:05:46 PM

Quote:
I am sure they will do this eventually, I mean why wouldn't they?
I'm surprised you didn't ask him if he thinks the Prescott should get the missing units back, and what he believes about the Hammer! No offense, cuz I thought this insider info would have more than just the multiplier!

We did have that discussion, I mentioned that people kept incorrectly thinking that the hammer was to compete with itanium, he laughed, the reason being is even INTEL has a hard time in the 64bit market(where sun etc rule) amd would not even stand a chance(which is somewhat true).

He also said that both amd and intels chips are very good(when someone asked which chip they should purchase) and I layed out my 1700+ versus 1.6a overclocking comparison, to which he agreed both are evenish.

It was a good birthday party.

March 3, 2002 9:07:24 PM

Quote:
I imagine Fugger doesn’t and probably a few other sound members of the rumour hate factory known as THG.

So your saying fugger is a "sound" member of tgh?

LOL

If you fugger, meltdown, and juin dont believe me, then I will consider my message delivered, but since its pro intel, LOL, you people constantly amaze me.

March 3, 2002 9:20:59 PM

Juin isn't that bad, Intel_inside is worse.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 3, 2002 10:31:38 PM

Juin is probably pro-AMD, and we just can't tell because we never know what he's talking about. :wink:

Intel's going to unlock? I hope they do, but I don't think it will have a huge affect on which CPU I buy next.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
March 4, 2002 12:09:57 AM

Oh now the story changes how opportune for you to change it to that he heard it second hand. So another question is what the hell is a software developer hanging out with the silicon engineers at Intel. Next thing you will tell me that Andy Grove was at his birthday too.

It’s very apparent you do not understand the internal operations of Intel Corp. or any large corporation for that matter. Companies of that size do not have intermingling of other divisions based on the idea of "loose lips sink ships". Further more your “family” member has no company spirit by the sound of it, since he blabs about every dirty secret. I can see his employment ending sooner than later, on the grounds he does not sounds like a trustworthy man or a company man.

Perhaps you are the one that needs to run along my little liar.

-Spuddy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
March 4, 2002 12:25:49 AM

Forgive the flame everyone, spud has annoyed me.

Quote:
Oh now the story changes how opportune for you to change it to that he heard it second hand. So another question is what the hell is a software developer hanging out with the silicon engineers at Intel. Next thing you will tell me that Andy Grove was at his birthday too.

My origional statement.
Quote:
He heard from a coworker in another area that soon(3-6months) Intel will CEASE locking their Multipliers!!!

As you can PLAINLY see, I have not changed my story you moron.

Quote:
It’s very apparent you do not understand the internal operations of Intel Corp. or any large corporation for that matter. Companies of that size do not have intermingling of other divisions based on the idea of "loose lips sink ships". Further more your “family” member has no company spirit by the sound of it, since he blabs about every dirty secret. I can see his employment ending sooner than later, on the grounds he does not sounds like a trustworthy man or a company man.

The oregon facility is a devlopment facility, of course silicon engineers and software testers/optimisers will work together simpleton.

As for his "leaking" the information, its not like he told me the secret core design of mckinley or anything, he mentioned something he heard you bafoon.

And since you cannot read posts, and have no intelligence at all, perhaps your comments are full of BS. I dont care if you believe me at all, you however flaming me is comical at best.

Perhaps you need to kiss my ass little flamer.

::ends discussion with spud the dickless wondertroll::

PS: call me a nazi, so fredi can ban your ass again, come on.

March 4, 2002 12:50:41 AM

Quote:
So another question is what the hell is a software developer hanging out with the silicon engineers at Intel.

Hmmm, let's see, Intel produces a C/C++ compiler for Linux and Windows; Linux/SCO/Windows drivers for various chipsets, network cards, video cards (remember the i740?), etc.; a fine piece of benchmarking software called IOmeter; and distributed computing software (that doesn't cure cancer anymore, oh well). I suppose Intel just has some trained monkeys throwing bits together in the hopes that some random bit stream will magically work as a stable driver?

Quote:
It's very apparent you do not understand the internal operations of Intel Corp. or any large corporation for that matter. Companies of that size do not have intermingling of other divisions based on the idea of "loose lips sink ships".

They try not to, but you can never keep a 100% tight lid. Notice the leaks about Yamhill Technology, which was supposed to be one of Intel's most classified projects.

Quote:
Further more your "family" member has no company spirit by the sound of it, since he blabs about every dirty secret.

"No company spirit." Gee, that breaks my heart. :tongue:

There are a lot of people that go to work at a job they don't really care in the slightest about. There are a lot of people that take absolutely no pride in their jobs. That's life; there's not always room for "team spirit." BFD.

Quote:
Perhaps you are the one that needs to run along my little liar.

1) I suppose an AMD fan would lie for the benefit of Intel? Nice making sense there.

2) Why are you getting all bent out of shape about this? I would think this would be good news for Intel fans.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
March 4, 2002 12:51:35 AM

hihihihihi

does he not know you? are you not the one with all the P4 posts?

is this a dream or is spud a dumbass for real?

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>
March 4, 2002 12:53:01 AM

Yes yes of course your a big business man with a big mouth. You talk the big talk buddy but you dont fool me. No wonder you dad lost his job at fugitsu oops I mean you :smile: .

-Spuddy

March 4, 2002 12:57:48 AM

Spuddy, stop trolling!

March 4, 2002 1:07:24 AM

Not me...

March 4, 2002 1:08:24 AM

This isn’t a pro Intel post this is a big old lie from Matisaro. Fatburger, camieabz, intel_inside, tbird, rcf84, and even dhlucke are very sceptical of matisaro's connections.

Further more Intel isn’t stupid, you think they want to cater to low cost users that over clock? Ha ha dream on man get back to the real world, Intel has a bottom line to meet and it has nothing to do with unlocking their CPU's since they aren’t into quarterly losses like some company we know. That’s as funny as saying the twin towers fell down on their own.

Oh ya I am trolling hardcore here. Must be since I am the one lying about connections and posting false information, that’s sounds about right man you saw right threw me whew glad you where there to point that out for me scam.

-Spuddy

March 4, 2002 1:14:21 AM

Hmm, I don't know Matisaro personally, but I do know that 99% of the time, he helps people here. What does Matisaro have to gain to lie about Intel anyway? Spud, you have been banned twice, and therefore you're not exactly the most reliable source of info here. Matisaro, is one of the most, on the other hand. I suggest you refrain from bashing people personally or you'll probably be banned once again.

March 4, 2002 1:14:39 AM

how are you so sure about your opinoin?

your post clearly states that AMD users are low cost. i wouldn't say that, but i think its more about the enthusiasts.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>
March 4, 2002 1:56:42 AM

Please don't drag me in on this one.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
March 4, 2002 2:04:33 AM

If all those people think I am making it up, then let them come forth, I simply posted information I gained from a family member, that he heard from a coworker. In fact, if they think im full of it, thats fine, I am not forcing anyone to believe me, but flaming me and calling me a liar, when I am not, only serves to make you look like a moron spud. So run along now, your flames for nothing are not wanted.

So you and whoever else thinks I am making it up can think whatever they want, that is perfectly acceptable IMO. I would post the persons name but as you said, it is a violation of intels NDA, and I wouldnt put a family member in jeoparody to shut the likes of you up.

March 4, 2002 2:14:25 AM

Quote:
Yes yes of course your a big business man with a big mouth. You talk the big talk buddy but you dont fool me. No wonder you dad lost his job at fugitsu oops I mean you.

So my dad emailed me pictures of defects he took at work, which I posted in this forum? You ignorant troll, not believing my claim about what I heard from my family member is one thing, but insinuating that I have made up my entire work history and am not in the industry, is someing only one other dickless moron has done before, amdmeltdown, and when said dickless moron did that, I took a little screen shot at work, which I have now. Since fujitsu closed down their plant, I am under no NDA, and can release it without fear of job loss so here goes.

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lordmatisaro/myhomepage/persona..." target="_new">http://hometown.aol.com/lordmatisaro/myhomepage/persona...;/A>

Thats a screen shot of me working on a quest defect analaysis software with a little note to prove its me, unfortunatly it was addressed to meltdown because at the time, he was the only one dickless and retarded enough to claim I lied about my employment. Congradulations for joining him in the moron club.

If you knew anything about the semiconductor industry you would know what quest is, and if you want to claim I downloaded a warez version of quest lol, to fake a screen shot to shut you up lol, or something of that nature(hey maybe I paid 50000 for a licence for the app)dont even bother making yourself look even dumber by claiming it.

As you can see I have not lied about my employment, so run along flamer troll.

March 4, 2002 3:08:02 AM

Before fujitsu closed their american plant, I was a yield enhancement specialist. I would scan wafers for process defects, and upon discovering any I would image them with a scanning electron microscope, then use the images to determine where in the process the defect occured.

It was a fun job, and now im currently looking for work in the same field. But the industry is not doing very well right now.

March 4, 2002 3:08:23 AM

Are you sure that it not a limited multiplier lock

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
March 4, 2002 3:15:42 AM

All he said, was that he heard from a co worker, that intel would no longer lock their processors. He mentioned something about not advertising it as well, but we were interrupted(had to move my daughters car seat from one car to another so my wife could visit relatives at her grandmas house or something). When I returned the conversation had died, then the party was over.(it was at izzys num.)

March 4, 2002 3:28:33 AM

u gotta relax man... u do realise that being a trolls is snotty's and meltdufus method of getting entertainment...

pretty sad and pathetic when u think about it.
ignore them.

March 4, 2002 3:37:40 AM

Im glad they find entertainment in flaming and slandering others, and your right, it is a very pathetic way to live.

March 4, 2002 3:49:25 AM

yep. meltdufus actually admitted it once. As stuffy just keeps comming back one can assume its for the same reason, or he gets his rocks off on it, with is even worse :smile: .

unlocked Intel multipliers... personally i cant see it happening. intel is too stuck in its ways.
P.S. any idea if AMD is gonna make it easier for enthusiasts to unlock the tbred?

March 4, 2002 3:52:40 AM

Which is what I thought when I heard it, but he does work at intel, so I figured I would relay the information you everyone here.

March 4, 2002 4:03:34 AM

follow me here... i think i see a trend...

post pro amd stuff - get flamed by morons
post anti intel stuff - get flamed by morons
post neutral stuff - get flamed by morons
post pro intel stuff - get flamed by morons

i think i detect a subtle trend :smile:

March 4, 2002 4:13:23 AM

Matisaro, I have a question.. For someone who claims to know so much about computers.. why the hell do you use AOL as your ISP? I find this confusing.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!