Insider Information Regarding Intel

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
To those who know me, they know I have a family member(by marrage) who works at Intel in oregon.

Before he has told me about hyperthreading and that most performance increase numbers people have been throwing around have been overstated.

He is working with mckinley right now(specifically javavm optimisations for epic to those who care).

Tonight we went to a family birthday party, and we discussed cpus as usual, and he layed this one me.

He heard from a coworker in another area that soon(3-6months) Intel will CEASE locking their Multipliers!!!

This is good news for intel IMO.

JUst passing the word along.

(and to those who think I would be making this up, I genrally come down on the amd side of things, why would I?)

Mat

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend has a brother who works at mcdonalds, he said your late for work too much Matisaro and that you will never get passed working the drive thru if you dont wash your uniform more often.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That would be very nice of Intel, for all us overclockers.

Actually, it was kinda expected, just dint know when! Remember socket to slot and back? remember Celeron with no-cache and then back to 128k of it? so lock the multiplier, and then let go!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
It is absurd that Intel kept the cpu's locked as long as they have .. as I recall it was prompted by some dishonest beige box builders that would oc a 166 to 200 and sell it as a 200 (which it was lol).. it is doubtful that the public would be so easily fooled anymore especially as all of us who OC know the boot description changes when you OC ( eg my old 800eb posts as such ,but when I OC it the post only reads off the mhz the EB designation is gone .. my p-4 reads 2.0a at defaults but loses the correct label at boot when OC'd) They lose nearly nothing in revenue by the few enthusiasts that do OC.. and in fact it is the fine OC-ability of AMD chips and the unlockable multiplier that has many of us recommending them to family friends and employers as economical solutions and these purchases are rarely or never OC'd .. but the recommendation and performance reputation was built on the OC efforts of the enthusiasts .. basically free advertising of the best kind., I think Intel would be wise to unlock their product and let us continue to push the envelope and be free beta testers for them

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My friend has a brother who works at mcdonalds, he said your late for work too much Matisaro and that you will never get passed working the drive thru if you dont wash your uniform more often.

Run along troll, you know I work in the industry.

Why you would flame me for a pro intel post is beyond me though.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Unlocking makes sense. Intel enjoys a solid reputation among OEMs and business. Unlocking will help them a little in the enthusiast crowd.
I have thought about getting a P4 to play around with. But I just cant seem to come up the kidney donation they want for it. Maybe after I get a raise I will try and see Intel's legendary stability for myself.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
why don't you go to that site of yours and get a brain.

you'll never change will you?

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
LOL its beyond him self as well.

oh wait is there anything that isn't beyond him?

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
donation? i guess that is one way to say it to not get flamed.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Lol scamtron, wasnt really trying to flame Intel. I seriously cant afford the high-end P4 right now. And
anything that costs a lot i say it requires "a kidney donation"..

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe they could do what AMD is doing, unlock the CPU alright, but use the CPUID field to indicate the speed too! So the user can see the real speed at the bootup, and the one found by BIOS. no more *dishonest beige box builders*

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
so we have to wait (3-6 months) to know the truth. :)

maybe it will become reality to attract some ("OC") people which are for now more "AMD fans".
i think if they would do this, Intel is now pretty "frightened" by AMD (previous Intel cpus decrease prices is not entirely sufficient).

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I would be interested in your "relatives" name. Since he is breaking the NDA agreement with Intel. You realize as some of us here are investors we will report this to Intel corp. for immediate investigation. But since I don’t believe you like I imagine Fugger doesn’t and probably a few other sound members of the rumour hate factory known as THG. Further more since Intel employees don’t have loose lips, like Nvidia Corp. or the sour investors of AMD corp. I am confident your comment is just another false comment that we have all come to expect from THG and a good portion of its members.

-Spuddy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

eden

Champion
That sounds nice... Maybe they saw AMD's dedication to keeping the overclockers happy through Hammer? In any case, what are the advantages of the unlocked multiplier for you guys? Where do you see the best road in using it?

I am sure they will do this eventually, I mean why wouldn't they?
I'm surprised you didn't ask him if he thinks the Prescott should get the missing units back, and what he believes about the Hammer! No offense, cuz I thought this insider info would have more than just the multiplier!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Spuddy, if you start this again, you'll be banned for the third time, lol.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not any kind of record to be proud of though.

i wonder how, and of course IF intel stop locking their CPU's what will happen.

amd of course have the little bridges on their cpu's that still prevent the inquisitious newbie from changing the multipliers without a 'fix'

intel have no such bridges to cut... so unlocked really is unlocked. hmmm
cant see that happening to be honest.

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Sure spud, Im gonna make up pro intel info lol.

Secondly, I know hes violating the intel NDA, and of course I wont give his name(although I have before but he never told me anything big like this).

Thirdly, I really dont care if you believe me or not, he told me himself he heard it from a co-worker(he is in software devlopment himself), so even by his standards it was a rumor.

Fourthly, If the post was anti intel, sure your misbelief would be understandable, but its a PRO INTEL post, why would I make it up.

So run along, and dont flame people for no reason spud.

(PS: acusing the whole forum of being a hate factory probably wont keep you in fredi's good graces pal)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I am sure they will do this eventually, I mean why wouldn't they?
I'm surprised you didn't ask him if he thinks the Prescott should get the missing units back, and what he believes about the Hammer! No offense, cuz I thought this insider info would have more than just the multiplier!

We did have that discussion, I mentioned that people kept incorrectly thinking that the hammer was to compete with itanium, he laughed, the reason being is even INTEL has a hard time in the 64bit market(where sun etc rule) amd would not even stand a chance(which is somewhat true).

He also said that both amd and intels chips are very good(when someone asked which chip they should purchase) and I layed out my 1700+ versus 1.6a overclocking comparison, to which he agreed both are evenish.

It was a good birthday party.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I imagine Fugger doesn’t and probably a few other sound members of the rumour hate factory known as THG.

So your saying fugger is a "sound" member of tgh?

LOL

If you fugger, meltdown, and juin dont believe me, then I will consider my message delivered, but since its pro intel, LOL, you people constantly amaze me.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Juin is probably pro-AMD, and we just can't tell because we never know what he's talking about. :wink:

Intel's going to unlock? I hope they do, but I don't think it will have a huge affect on which CPU I buy next.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."