raw speed, forget price

G

If price were no object what's the fastest CPU/motherboard/memory combination (without overclocking).

I do 3-D rendering, CAD, scientific visualization and computational fluid dynamics.

Recently a P4 Xeon dualie has caught my eye.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Without overclocking?

Hmm, hard call, if you were just an average joe gamer, the answer would be a northwood 2.2ghz with rdram, however, you list cad and scientific apps among your list of uses, the athlons strong points.

Given those software requirements, the xp2000(or 2100 when its released very soon) On a kt333 Mainboard with cl2 pc2700 ddr ram, will give you the biggest bang.

(deffinatly the 2100+ will be faster, however the 2000+ will be slightly slower than the NW 2.2 except for the cad and scientific apps where the superior fpu of the athlon will allow a victory).

If dual is your desire, than nothing available can match a dual athlon mp 1900+. Nothing.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
MAT's right; for CAD and 3-D (other than the artifically lop-sided Lightwave 7b) AthlonXP 2000+ (or 2100+ in a couple weeks) on a KT333 platform with CAS 2.0 PC2700 will top <b>any</b> P4 at stock speeds or overclocked.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Ok, for cad and other fine 3d programmings....:)

2 1900MP Athlons or 2000MP Athlons*releasing soon*
K7M-D dual Athlon motherboard,
1 gig of Of DDR 2100 Ram, Or 1.5 gig of ram...:)

Now this is a must,

At least 3 120 IBM GXP 80 gig drives in a RAID 5 array,

Damn they are the fastest I've tested for IDE, and with RAID 5 you get the best of RAID 0 and RAID 1, but only having to have 3 drives.

I just built a game server using that setup, and it was just used and a public lan party.

Every game that was going to be at that party was ran at the same time on it and it never even blinked....:)

You could look at getting TI4600 Gforce or get a Quatra Pro from Nvidia.

Xeons are nice, but really not worth the price for what you want to do, and the FPU on the P4 is weak......

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if overclocking is considered then nothing would beat the Athlon. the Asus A7M266-D with overclocked XP2100+ to XP2500+ with 166 MHz or higher FSB, RAID 0 or 5 with the latest Barracuda-4 7200 rpm disks, PC2700/PC3000/PC3300 CAS2 memory (PC3000/PC3300 arent real, companies like OCz validate them for these speeds)

what more?

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but it doesnt do dual!

i would really like to see how far it can be overclocked, the Tualatin Celeron is already seen faltering at extra high speeds, this 0.13u chip seems too delicate for extreme overclocking. maybe later Northwoods will do better OC, right now, I dont have any benches.

girish

eden

Champion
Athlon MP2000 is already out.
They are relatively cheap compared to Xeon costs which still lag behind! Even old MP 1.2GHZ were better than Xeon 1.7GHZ, which would cost fortunes compared to MPs.
Yes anytime you look for graphical design, the Athlon is king and country for it!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

eden

Champion
And don't ever say forget price, when now buying an AXP 2000 or MP 2000, can allow you the extra 400$ saved from getting an NW 2.2GHZ could go towards a Quadro(dunno price but it saves) or GF4 Ti4600! Think wise man, never omit the part of saving and bang for the buck.

--

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Girish, read my sig, don't even think of using Barracuda IV in RAID setup's, they suck BIG time. Seagate has been fully aware of the problem for several month, but until just recently they were still advertising how well suited the drive was in RAID setups. If price is no issue, go for the Western Digital Caviar WD1000JB with 8MB cache, it is the undisputed IDE Champion of the world at the moment. Number two is the IBM Deskstar 120GXP in any of the versions (40GB, 60GB, 80GB and 120GB).

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>If price were no object what's the fastest CPU/motherboard/memory combination (without overclocking).<p><hr></blockquote><p>Don't be afraid of overclocking, there is absolutely nothing to it as long as you don't play around with the hardware. At least this is true when it comes to Intel P4. Simple FSB overclocking by changing a number in the BIOS from 100 to say 125 is really no big deal, and it can be done absolutely safe with the stock cooler.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid this extra power which comes at no extra cost.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Copenhagen is right, if you have a p4 mobo which locks pci/agp, then go ahead and see the limits of your ram.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you OS bound?

May we suggest solutions such as <A HREF="http://www.sgi.com/workstations/comparison.html" target="_new">SGI</A>?

Are you time limited?

#1) Wait for the fixed MPX chipset to come out
#2) Wait for someone to release a <A HREF="http://www.serverworks.com/products/GCWS.html" target="_new">GC-WS</A> board

and compare those two.

- JW

[edit]
eden: I'm sure if he's looking at that kind of system he'll be looking at FireGL or Wildcat video anyways.
[/edit]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 03/03/02 08:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's some fun :)

Quad P4 Xeon on ServerWorks GC-HE:
<A HREF="http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_01.jpg" target="_new">http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_01.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_02.jpg" target="_new">http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_02.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_03.jpg" target="_new">http://www.evilcon.com/stuff/Tyan-Thunder-GC-HE_03.jpg</A>

- JW

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If price were no object what's the fastest CPU/motherboard/memory combination (without overclocking).

I do 3-D rendering, CAD, scientific visualization and computational fluid dynamics.

How about a Power4 Workstation in Unix or Something from SGI using a 600mhz MIPS cpu ?

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Hello do you have sleep for 3 month it just it really hard just to add 66 mgz on 2000+ it will be even worse with the 2100+

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Hello do you have sleep for 3 month it just it really hard just to add 66 mgz on 2000+ it will be even worse with the 2100+

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
3D rendering go faster on P4 except 3D studio max.
CAD i not see a benchmark in the last month with a northwood.Scientific apps athlon all the way.

but there is 2 hick going right now with dual P4
1 prestonia are still hard to find i think and dont know how this kind of apps work with hyperthreating.
2 AMD bus for memory in dual config is better that the 1 intel offer.

If you a single cpu go with intel northwood and can overclock (i dont think you will overclock).
If go dual go with AMD except if prestonia (P4 northwood for dual config) is better that i think.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what do I sleep 3 months for?

whats bad adding 66 MHz increases performance equivalent to a 100 MHz increase on the P4? it isnt worse, its better!

BTW just swap the Barracuda disks from my config to those mentioned by Copenhegan and Mat. guess they will give better performance, we dont get WD and IBM disks too easily, so I thought Baracuda or Samsung P20 might be good.

girish

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Yep you are right........but being stuck now in my own devision now, I haven't had a chance to work on the monster systems we build.

120 gxp IBM drives are beautiful for raid.......the 80 gigs don't drop off on the back side like the 40 gigs. You are completely right on the Xeon, its not worth the money right now comparable to the Athlon MP....

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I have found that the WD doesn't hold as well as the 120 gxp's.....They will spike a little higher than the gxp's but their throughput is lower and they drop off faster than the gxp's........

If I can find our test graphs I'll post them. We were using a promise fasttrack tx2 raid.....

We did tests on 2 raid and 4 raid.

WD
Maxtor
IBM
No seagate, because of their problems in ide raid.

Sizes 40-120 gigs......

MeldarthX

eden

Champion
Does anybody know if jumping from this old Maxtor 15 GB 7200RPM drive, to a new 40G or above from IBM or whoever, might give me a little performance boost? I am under WinXP with only 2 Gigs left, and I feel it's all so slow at times, where the drive spins for no reason!

--

dhlucke

Polypheme
um, juin, um, I don't know how to say this...but

your sig has spelling mistakes and is missing some spaces

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Lol....
it's sad he doesn't want the offer of us helping his messages get across through our personall translation from french->english...

--

TRENDING THREADS