Liquid nitrogen update.. Thank you all

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Hey everyone..

Thanks for all your ideas about how to make my little liquid nitrogen project work. My goal is to break 3.0 GHz, but no luck yet. So far, I'm maxed out at 2660. The basic apparatus is extremely simple, and involves a pyrex stucture filled with silica gel as the "heatsink." The silica gel slows the flow of LN2 such that the little flake of silicon doesn't crack.

I'm using a mixture of Calcium Chloride and Sodium sulfate to absorb the moisture that may condense. The chemicals have been sprinkled lightly over all the PCBs and are present in little cups supported in the chasis. Primitive, I know.

I want to go FASTER! This is really addicting, and with no shortage of liquid nitrogen in the future, I'm gonna keep on. Any advice on why I can't get above 2.6?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
What chip are you using, many people can get as fast as you with a decent heatsink lol.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
There's no doubt that the LN2 is not necessary to acheive my speed. Right now, my concern is just learning how to use it safely. LN2 is VERY cheap, new Northwoods are not. It's all an experiment, and it's all for fun. I don't really plan on running LN2 through my system all the time! :)

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
I have several tanks and cryoflasks and all sorts of other fun things in my lab. I don't pay for it, of course, my expense account does. I DO pay for the chips though!! :( And Intel has way too much of my money. Ironically, this project is not even occuring in an electronics lab -- it's a Biochemistry/Molecular Biology lab.

eden

Champion
So what is the P4's stock speed anyway?
I suspect the 1.6A IIRC. Sounds really fun!
Nice to see many enthusiasts like this!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
well I suppose this project is more along that subject than electronics, though it could fall under both.

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Well, did you up the voltage on the chip? Usually, if you cant run stable you up the core voltage. That creates more heat, but your using LN2, so who cares.
Secondly, the mobo and Ram quality are important for extreme over-clocking. You may find an overclocking store that will sell components certified for certain speeds. Otherwise, quality is luck of the draw.
Is your RAM being cooled as well? At those speeds your RAM is screaming for some kind of cooling. Get some heatsinks or LN2 on it.
Third, are you able to determine the temperature of the chip? If so, WHAT IS IT!! im really curious.
Finally, there are folks on these boards more qualfied in ocerclocking than I am. I hope they peek in here. Also, Toms has an OC forum, try there for some advice as well. Im glad you posted, I was wondering how the project was going.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.