Need general information about PDAs

April 21, 2005 4:06:46 PM

I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
recommendations on specific makes and models?

-Jonathan
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:44:12 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 12:06:46 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:

>I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
>sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
>recommendations on specific makes and models?
>
>-Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

When I bought my first PDA, a couple of years ago, there were still
several manufacturers competing for business in the Palm OS arena.
That has slimmed down to only three viable alternatives, if you ask
me. Palm, Tapwave and Garmin. Garmin is a GPS unit with a Palm OS
and is very expensive so that's probably not what you want. Tapewave
makes the Zodiac with a large screen, two expansion slots, and special
games made for it. It's big for a PDA and aimed at a PDA gaming
market. Palm makes several different models which you can read
reviews and customer opinions on at Cnet.com.

Now for my $.02. My first PDA was a Sony Clie which I loved. It had
a flip cover and fit perfectly in my pockets like a pad of paper. I
took it everywhere and used it all the time. When it came time to
move up to a color screen, I decided to get the Palm Zire 72 which
looked to be about the same size. Except Palm's don't come with a
flip cover, only cases that make them too big to put in a shirt
pocket. So I decided I'd just put a screen protector on it and put it
in my pocket anyway. Except the Zire 72 has a very flimsy rubberized
coating on the exterior of the case that started to flake off right
away. So I returned that one and got a new one and bought a case for
it. A hard case. The hard case is great but now I have to carry my
PDA in my hand unless I'm wearing a sport coat or a jacket. Won't fit
in a shirt pockets. Had I known that, I'd have definitely given the
Zodiac a try because the large screen and two expansion slots and the
fact that it comes with a lot of memory would have been fun to try.
Heck, since I have to carry the thing around by hand anyway, who cares
how big it is?

Other than discussing PDAs in this group and checking out Cnet, I
don't have any other good places for you to check out.

Bob
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:20:08 PM

Bob Kruse wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2005 12:06:46 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:
>
>>I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
>>sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
>>recommendations on specific makes and models?
>>
>>-Jonathan
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> When I bought my first PDA, a couple of years ago, there were still
> several manufacturers competing for business in the Palm OS arena.
> That has slimmed down to only three viable alternatives, if you ask
> me. Palm, Tapwave and Garmin. Garmin is a GPS unit with a Palm OS
> and is very expensive so that's probably not what you want. Tapewave
> makes the Zodiac with a large screen, two expansion slots, and special
> games made for it. It's big for a PDA and aimed at a PDA gaming
> market. Palm makes several different models which you can read
> reviews and customer opinions on at Cnet.com.
>
> Now for my $.02. My first PDA was a Sony Clie which I loved. It had
> a flip cover and fit perfectly in my pockets like a pad of paper. I
> took it everywhere and used it all the time. When it came time to
> move up to a color screen, I decided to get the Palm Zire 72 which
> looked to be about the same size. Except Palm's don't come with a
> flip cover, only cases that make them too big to put in a shirt
> pocket. So I decided I'd just put a screen protector on it and put it
> in my pocket anyway. Except the Zire 72 has a very flimsy rubberized
> coating on the exterior of the case that started to flake off right
> away. So I returned that one and got a new one and bought a case for
> it. A hard case. The hard case is great but now I have to carry my
> PDA in my hand unless I'm wearing a sport coat or a jacket.

Get a Rhinoskin case and carry it in your hip pocket. It's much more secure
there.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks for the post.

Would you say comp.sys.handhelds is also a good newsgroup for info on PDA's.

-Jonathan

Bob Kruse <thekruses@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<i9ri61tdnaqnn52j790kdrc4a9pf7n6a32@4ax.com>...
> On 21 Apr 2005 12:06:46 -0700, jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote:
>
> >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
> >sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
> >recommendations on specific makes and models?
> >
> >-Jonathan
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> When I bought my first PDA, a couple of years ago, there were still
> several manufacturers competing for business in the Palm OS arena.
> That has slimmed down to only three viable alternatives, if you ask
> me. Palm, Tapwave and Garmin. Garmin is a GPS unit with a Palm OS
> and is very expensive so that's probably not what you want. Tapewave
> makes the Zodiac with a large screen, two expansion slots, and special
> games made for it. It's big for a PDA and aimed at a PDA gaming
> market. Palm makes several different models which you can read
> reviews and customer opinions on at Cnet.com.
>
> Now for my $.02. My first PDA was a Sony Clie which I loved. It had
> a flip cover and fit perfectly in my pockets like a pad of paper. I
> took it everywhere and used it all the time. When it came time to
> move up to a color screen, I decided to get the Palm Zire 72 which
> looked to be about the same size. Except Palm's don't come with a
> flip cover, only cases that make them too big to put in a shirt
> pocket. So I decided I'd just put a screen protector on it and put it
> in my pocket anyway. Except the Zire 72 has a very flimsy rubberized
> coating on the exterior of the case that started to flake off right
> away. So I returned that one and got a new one and bought a case for
> it. A hard case. The hard case is great but now I have to carry my
> PDA in my hand unless I'm wearing a sport coat or a jacket. Won't fit
> in a shirt pockets. Had I known that, I'd have definitely given the
> Zodiac a try because the large screen and two expansion slots and the
> fact that it comes with a lot of memory would have been fun to try.
> Heck, since I have to carry the thing around by hand anyway, who cares
> how big it is?
>
> Other than discussing PDAs in this group and checking out Cnet, I
> don't have any other good places for you to check out.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:36:44 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:44:12 -0700, Bob Kruse
<thekruses@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now for my $.02. My first PDA was a Sony Clie which I loved. It had
> a flip cover and fit perfectly in my pockets like a pad of paper. I
> took it everywhere and used it all the time. When it came time to
> move up to a color screen, I decided to get the Palm Zire 72 which
> looked to be about the same size. Except Palm's don't come with a
> flip cover, only cases that make them too big to put in a shirt
> pocket. So I decided I'd just put a screen protector on it and put it
> in my pocket anyway.

The Zire 31 has a rubber flip cover. I bought a camera case that
attaches to my belt and holds my PDA and cell phone.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file

snip

> Get a Rhinoskin case and carry it in your hip pocket. It's much more
secure
> there.

I have the Rhinoskin hard case for my Zire 72 also. I carry it in my
front pants pocket and it's quite comfortable. When I'm driving I put
it in my shirt pocket, yes it fits, so I can easily answer any alarms
that ring.
The only niggle I have, so far, is that the Rhinoskin case doesn't have
a large enough opening for the a/c adapter to plug into the Zire all
the way.
I had to take a file bit on my electric drill and file it down to make
it fit.
A HUGE oversight!!
Also, the Zire 72s (s stands for special edition) comes with the paint
already gone so there is none to flake off.
So far I love my 72!

Shawn
!