Sign in with
Your question

Local P4 system for sale: a small study

Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2002 10:50:48 PM

just out of curiosity i opened up and checked out the 'green guide' the TV section of the local news paper which also has alot of computer ads... typically a good indication of "whats being sold" in the current AUSTRALIAN market.

I went thru the guide, looking for prebuilt systems for sale. focussing on chipset/ram/cpu.

by a rough count there were around 45 ads for amd systems, and 51 for the P4 specifically.

of the 51 P4 systems;

35 were sdram - all, as far as the information given, were 845 chipsets.
16 were ddrram - 14 845D, 2 sis645
but
1 was with RDRAM - which i found quite suprising.

the ratio of sd:D dr:rdram was somewhat suprising... i expected far fewer ddr and much more rdram.
so it seems for the local market that the cost of rdram and the chipset pushes it well out of the 'general' computer market.
NOTE: rdram locally does not have price parity with PC2100 DDR. rdram typically cost the same or slightly more than PC2700 ddr.

another thing i found eye-opening was the terms and phrases that i spotted on three seperate occasions.
SDRAM combo's often sported the comment "ultra high performance" with regards to the ram and chipset, yet right beside it i found similar DDR equipped systems with only a "high performance" tag.

HMMMMM very strange.
it appears that for the australian market sdram + P4 is being pushed as the way to go. how very dissapointing.

anybody care to go through THEIR local paper? (if u live in a different country to me) tell me if these trends are common or just wierd.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 4, 2002 11:34:35 PM

This is so true. A friend of a friend wanted a new system and I speced out a 1700+ for him with all quality parts for about 1000$ US. Granted it wasnt a super system, but basic stuff, not junk. 1700+, 256ddr, 40gig 7200rpm, radeon 7500, etc. So he was thinking about this over the weekend and got on one of those impulse buying moods. He was shopping around and the sales guy at the local store showed him a 1.5 P4 with sdram and he got sold! He does not understand with SDRAM the P4 is total junk, only when using quality ram can it compete. I asked him about this and he said "they all said SDRAM except one that said RDRAM and it was really expensive". I went and looked and yep, outta 11 P4 systems there was 10 SDRAM! Thing that sucks is he does not understand what it means like most people who would buy a machine from a retailer to begin with =/

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 5, 2002 3:52:19 AM

yeah, almost as bad as those duron and athlon systems being sold by the likes of compaq. I bet they even only ship it with a 230watt p/s lol.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
Related resources
March 5, 2002 4:02:44 AM

Quote:
yeah, almost as bad as those duron and athlon systems being sold by the likes of compaq. I bet they even only ship it with a 230watt p/s lol.

Except if the [-peep-] psu causes problems the system is defective, the loss of performance from sdram is not a defect.

If your compaq amd system acts up, you can return it, when your p4+sdram system sucks ass, you cannot. Huge difference.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 5, 2002 4:07:13 AM

hehehe

the loss of performance is a "feature" :smile:

im constantly amazed as the crap that 'reputable' companies such as compac or HP can peddle as 'gaming machines'.

integrated graphics DO NOT make a gaming machine, nor does sdram and the p4.

on a slightly good note, at least all but one or two of the sdram p4 systems had at least 256mb of it, not 128. if i remember correctly at least 6 had 512mb of it.
better than nothing i suppose.

im waiting with baited breath untill we get the new P4 128k celleron +sdram. yum

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 5, 2002 4:21:26 AM

most of the people who buy those systems use them for web browsing and playing mp3's and dvd's... thet don't notice much of the difference associated with sdram use on the p4.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
March 5, 2002 4:27:53 AM

Local paper hu? Well, I'll just go through the Green Guide...oh wait....

It just goes to show that people will buy anything labeled "ultra high performance" so long as it's cheaper than the next thing.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
March 5, 2002 6:11:14 AM

What I think is funny is the Dell computer they been showing on tv 1.6 ghz 512 megs of sdram. Super fast. Or the one I seen on the home shopping center 1.5 512 megs sdram. Ultra Fast. They are both frist gen P4.

There a point for Intel for cheap advertisement
March 5, 2002 8:16:11 AM

:local paper green guide! Is that a guide for the "green" and unsavy people who by computers? That apart it sounds like list of products from our store. Trying to explain the difference between rdram and sdram to a customer who can’t see beyond the price is tricky at best. I usually resort to telling them "using a P4 with sdram is like driving a Porsche with 8" wheels". This only works some of the time.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!
March 5, 2002 10:25:42 PM

most amusing.

its called the 'green guide' becauze it uses a pale green coloured paper and its title is the guide.
its a liftout segment of 'the age' newspaper every thursday... most important part of the guide is the tv section, but also has a very high density of computer adverts, hifi ads and other 'technology' stuff.

!