Questin about P4/I845

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I must admit I normally go AMD cuz they have had a better performace/$$ for a while now, however I have come across an unusual situation. I have come into posessin of 3x1 gig DIMMS, PC133. Seeing how this is free I wanted to get a board that could use it, all the older boards max out at 512 chips. I was thinking the only modern board to use PC133 is the i845 and I found a Tyan board (s2090) that can take 3 gigs of ram. anyone have thoughts about this? Is it worth it? I know the i845 SUCKS A$$! But on the other hand 3 gigs of free ram =/ Anyone know if a 1.6A would run at 2133 (133 bus) on this board? And if so would the SDRAM slow it down to the point of being lame?
Any comments are welcome!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If someone gave me 3 gigabytes of PC133 SDRAM I would either sell it or throw it away. If you want a performance computer system, it is worthless.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Thats pretty much what I thought! It would be useful if older boards supported 1 gig sticks, but they all go upto 512 only =( Just though id get some other opinions before I did anything! The sticks are nice, crucial pc133 cas2 ecc!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would either sell it (you could get some decent money for it, probably enough for 512MB of RDRAM and an i850 board, though that's just a guess), or keep it for a server, if you have any use for one.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A kt133a chipset motherboard will support an axp and the performance loss is minimal(about 15-25% over a kt266a)

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
But do any support 1G sticks? That would have been my first choice, but I dont see any of the good boards supporting modules better then 512 =/ Can you suggest a board for AXP that supports 1G sticks? The kt133a chipset only supports 1.5 gig of ram in 512 meg sticks.

An i845 w/1.6 for $225US and free 3 gigs ram is tempting. It may not be fast but for the price? And SDRAM boards are easy to overclock to 133 right? Its just tough to buy something you know is [-peep-] =/

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok, looks like there are no motherboards which support 1gb modules for the amd platform.

That having been said, NO, dont get the i845 motherboard.

Most users never use more than 512 megs of ram, and the only time more would be good is when you are heavily multitaking, the exact same times sdram would hurt the p4 the most.

Sell the sdram, and get rdram if you really want to get a p4.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
Give it to Steven for his Dell. Dude, I'm getting 3 Gigs!

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
ROFL
Have you seen that they gave him his own website? He has software and hardware picks, special deals, a bio, videos of interviews with Jay Leno, etc.
It's disgusting.

I looked at his "hardware picks", saw a camera for a decent price. When I clicked on it, I got a message saying "I'm sorry, we don't carry this product anymore!"

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
OK, good deal! Thanks for confirming it was a bad idea =) I wouldnt have posted if it was good. I do use alot of ram (current system Tbird 1400 w/1 gig) but I can get a gig for the price of the 3 gigs I can sell. Or more likely keep the cash and pay bills, my system is kick a$$ enough. Even if I run outta ram the striped scsi disks page fast!!