claw hammer or sledge hammer

draglord

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
at the same clock speed, which is faster?

<b> There is no greater sin against oneself than the failure to believe in one's own worth. </b>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Sledge will provide several enhancements over Claw

1. Increased cache. Estimates are around 1 meg of L2 cache, iirc. Claw will probably have around half that.

2. 128 bit memory bus as opposed to Claw's 64bit memory bus.

These two things combined should give Sledge at least a 5-10% performance boost clock for clock over Claw. BUT you'll pay for that performance boost. Sledge uses a different socket. It's around 940 pin CPU compared to around 750 pins (sorry for the rough estimate..I could look it up but I'm still waking up and don't feel like it;) )

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sledge is targetted at servers while the Claw is made for workstations an desktops, they share the same relation as Celeron and Pentium-II/III/4, or Duron and Athlon!

Sledge has a dual channel memory controller while the Claw has single channel, Sledge will have larger L2 cache and Sledge will be more scalable for MP systems while the Claw may just stop at dual.

Only thing I wish both were socket compatible, one single 940 pin socket that would be the superset of 754 pin Clawhammer socket. they still have time, about ten months to do that, hope they would!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

draglord

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
hmmm...

i see. so for performance its still better to go with sledge?

<b> There is no greater sin against oneself than the failure to believe in one's own worth. </b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Interesting so AMD will finally separate the server class processor from the workstation/PC class processor. Will you be able to run dual Clawhammers? Is the ClawHammer also replacing the Athlon MP or is the SledgeHammer replacing it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
I assume you mean run dual Clawhammers. The Clawhammer is for 1-2 way systems, the Sledgehammer for 1-8 way systems.

And I agree with Girish, a compatible socket would be very nice.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
So would the ability to set the FSB according to whatever your hardware can support.

(Note that this is different than unlocked as unlocked would also allow you to overclock the overall clock, where as just the ability to set your FSB would automatically set the multiplier to keep the CPU within the overall clock speed rating that it was sold at.)

<pre><font color=green>//error-proof coding</font color=green>
<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
BTW, does anyone here know whether the Athlon T-bred will be released in the U.S. in early/mid march or early april?

"When there's a will, there's a way."

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
There was a rumor on HardOCP I believe, that was quickly quenched that Tbred would be released March 20. Still, at this point, AMD has kept the release date for Tbred quiet. It may well be that AMD will release the mobile version first, and then roll the desktop out a few weeks or months later like they did with the Palomino.

They continue to say that the .13 transition is on or ahead of schedule, so we'll see when AMD wants us to see I guess.

Mark-

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
BTW, does anyone here know whether the Athlon T-bred will be released in the U.S. in early/mid march or early april?

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Question......I haven't had time to read on the sledge as of lately, but also wasn't one of the feature going to be on the sledge hammer a dual cpu core? Based off IBM's own Powerpc 4 dual core technology?

MeldarthX

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
The dual core thingy as far i know is not true. Both the clawhammer and sledgehammer have a single core with a register that supports both 32 and 64 bit operations.

The sledgehammer will have two hypertransport I/O links on die. These support the 2-8 way connections. Which is why it has so many damn pins. So I dont see the pin count getting lower. So needing a different socket will likely stay.

T-Bred? Who the hell knows. For a chip <i>supposedly</i> due out in a couple of months, they sure are quiet about it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Correct Girish, but just because it's targetted for servers doesn't necessarily preclude it being used on some high end 1CPU workstations. And for those, the features I mentioned are the ones that count :)

Mark-

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm a little light on knowledge of the future CPUs, so bear with me. I'm assuming after AMD releases the Thoroughbred and Apaloosa, they will continue to the Barton (.13 correct?). After that, does AMD have any plans for the future of Socket462 and the K-7 processor, or have we seen the end of that? On the other hand, the the end of the year, will we all be transferring to the Claw/Sledge-hammer K-8? So many new processors!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
According to AMD's roadmaps from those cores you mention onwards, the K7 and Duron chips are marked "As Market Requires" or similar. So, I don't think AMD has firm plans to make further enhancements to Athlon or Duron. In fact, from the looks of it, AMD seems to be phasing these two chips out sooner than their roadmaps indicated just a couple months ago.

Hammer is apparently running ahead of schedule. They may even release it earlier in the 4th quarter instead of towards the end. But this is all just rumors. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Mark-

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually I think I read that AMD wasn't going to release Barton. This is cuz Thouroughbred is .13 micron, and Barton was to be .13 micron SOI, and they were only going to put the Athlon on SOI to refine the technology for the Hammers. But, the Hammer is going so well that they won't need to bother releasing the Athlon at .13 SOI, as it wouldn't really provide a large benefit to the chip compared to Thouroughbred. AMD probably will try to phase the Athlon/Duron out in favor of the Hammers in 2003.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
What you *heard* isn't backed up by AMD's latest roadmap, It may be right, but presently, AMD still shows Barton as coming out in the 2nd half of this year.

Mark-

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hmm...so the socket462 has a future! Is AMD even considering extending the market of K-7 processors all the way till next year? Would be interesting to see a 3000+ AXP running on SocketA. Heck, maybe we'll see that with Thouroughbred or Barton. BTW, is the "new" Duron Apaloosa going to be PR rating or Mhz?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hmm...so the socket462 has a future! Is AMD even considering extending the market of K-7 processors all the way till next year? Would be interesting to see a 3000+ AXP running on SocketA. Heck, maybe we'll see that with Thouroughbred or Barton. BTW, is the "new" Duron Apaloosa going to be PR rating or Mhz?

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
The main difference between the Claw and Sledge will be the memory controllers on the CPUs. Two CPUs can easily share cache and memory using fairly basic logic. Extending that to 4-8 CPUs is a whole different story.

You can compare this to what SUN has with one memory architecture for 1-2 CPUs, another for the 2-8 CPU volume servers and another for the 4-128 CPU highend servers.

It is a good call by AMD to make the Claws a two proc architecture from scratch as MP is the what is required for all the VR & AI software which will emerge when you have this kind of horsepower.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

eden

Champion
Hmm now that you mention it, I predict Clawhammer costs will be like MP ones not like XP. A little more, but still awesome for performance.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Has AMD stated the clockspeed at which they intend to release the ClawHammer? I believe I have heard something about a PR3400. What clockspeed do you think that would be?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =