Arthur Andersen sets Athlon's PR rating

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I just went over to AMD's website to check on some core information for another thread. Was I ever surprised to see that the very firm that lied about Enron's condition was in charge of ensuring AMD was not lieing about the benchmarks on which the Athlon's PR rating is based.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_3734^3746,00.html" target="_new">Check it out.</A>

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LoL, interesting.

Too bad the pr ratings seem to work out, could have been an interesting point of attack.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PR ratings do work, and work very well they are still inline with enhanced Northwood P4s too!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Lol Ray, this has got to be the same outfit that came up with Intel's socket specs... confusing as hell, only accountants could come up with something like that.

(im just poking fun, no flame intended)

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel processor sockets? I thought they would have a socket for everybody! Good they stopped at only 4 for the P3, 2 for P4!!

These PR ratings, for the first time make some sense, but I'd rather test them for myself given the credibility of those accountants isnt too good these days.

girish

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nobody knew that? I heard it a while ago, I would've posted it if I knew nobody here knew.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, is that also the firm that actually says McDonald's french fries are America's favorive based on an independant survey? (Which occasionally pops up on their boxes instead of the usual based on sales tag line.) Because anyone who claims that McDonald's fries taste better than those of any of the other fast food joint (such as Arby's or Wendy's) has to be pushing quasi-legal at best.

<pre><font color=green>//error-proof coding</font color=green>
<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
That's very interesting and funny. As we all know that PR rathing is working fine for now. What I don't understand is how can a Firm "Arthur Andersen" who doesn't know about how a cpu works are responsible for assiging PR number. I think they should have hired a firm who is more knolodgeable about technology.

Just my 0.02 cents

KG

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
There have actually been a couple of other threads that talked about it at length. - Why not another?

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Just because Arthur Anderson (any relationship to another AA? LOL), is known as an accounting firm doesn't mean that they don't know anything about technology. Arthur Anderson has a huge technology and IT division.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

FatBurger

Illustrious
McDonald's used to have the absolute best fries. Now, however, they're simply nasty.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Andersen and AMD ey... Now wonder the shredders had such a high throughput.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did anybody see that intel compares Athlon performance with a 2A GHz Northwood A processor with 512k L2 cache? Its the one that dint even exist (in the market to compare with) when the XP ratings were devised. They are all normalised to P4 1.5 GHz (which is very much a Williamette core 256k L2 cache processor), and assigned pretty conservative points to the XP processors. So conservative that they are still valid even for the A range of faster Northwood P4s!

What next? Intel making another claim denying XP ratings with the Northwood B P4 when its released?

girish