What is happening here?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, as you know, I bought a Volcano 7 a week or two ago, and I just recently installed it. It's an excellent fan, but I just noticed one major flaw in it for people with low ambient room temps and excellent case air flow (such as myself, :smile: ). Apparently, although the Volcano 7's minimum rated RPM is 2900RPM, when I first started up my computer at the beginning of the day today (it was a cold morning), the fan started spinning at 2000RPM in the BIOS. It takes a few seconds for the case to warm up beyond room temp and in that time my CPU temporarily overheats (for a few seconds). This overheat occasionally causes computer to freeze up during start up. Very very strange, I know. I know I can mod my Volcano 7 to adjust fan speed based on CPU temp but that would increase RPM and noise, and I'm looking for a stable, silent, overclocked system.

What I need is something that can dissipate heat very quickly for a few seconds while the computer boots up. Can Arctic Silver 3 do the job? What about a copper shim?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
What are you using now? ASII?

Shims don't help in cooling, they're just designed to protect the core.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Can Arctic Silver 3 do the job?
can't hurt..
<A HREF="http://www.heatsinkstore.com/arsiliii30gs.html" target="_new">Arctic silver 3 for 6.99 inc shipping </A>

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Alcohol, the source of and the solution to all of lifes problems</font color=blue>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm using Artic Silver 2. AMD Man just go get some ASII or ASIII. Its worth it. I own the same HSF :D

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Then yes, Arctic Silver would help.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

eden

Champion
Wow didn't think of that would happen for a V7! Yea the thought did occur to me thought about not spinning fast enough in relation to CPU's temp. Though you got a feature in the mobo BIOS to auto-shut off or warn you of a potentially high temp. You probably have a very very "cool" system! :)

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You probably have a very very "cool" system! :)
lol, I have cool case temps but a hot processor. It's really weird. I can't really check the CPU temp while this happens because my computer usually freezes. I'm willing to bet it runs over 60c for a couple of seconds and drops back into the high 30s a few seconds later. Is that possible?

Another possiblity is that the thermal paste isn't touching the CPU core properly. Could that be it?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Here's something interesting Idle Temp = Load Temp, give or take one or two degrees.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i warned you about the volcano 7...anyways...you can cut the sensor off the fan...but that would make the fan run at max rpm...which would be too loud....
i wouldnt know what to do in your case except to replace the fan.....
but cant you switch the 3 pin plugs around...ie. plug the cpu fan into the power/chassis fan plug on the motherboard??

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

eden

Champion
It could be something with the paste???
I dunno much more what to say. You might wanna try contacting Tt, or even lower the cooling in your case?
To me it all works perfectly well but I live with higher noise at around 4200rpms ...

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
i warned you about the volcano 7...anyways...you can cut the sensor off the fan...but that would make the fan run at max rpm...which would be too loud....
i wouldnt know what to do in your case except to replace the fan.....
but cant you switch the 3 pin plugs around...ie. plug the cpu fan into the power/chassis fan plug on the motherboard??
Warned me? I'm extremely happy about this fan. My temps have never been this low. It's a lot better than my old GlobalWin WBK38. I don't want better cooling. My temps are usually in the higher 30sC or ~100F. Best of all, the fan is nearly silent!

I just want better heat dissipation at start up. My case air flow is TOO GOOD! That causes the fan to spin too slow for a few seconds at startup. but then it goes up into the 3000-3500 range.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yeah, what's weird is that even if the fan spins at 2000-2500RPM for ~5 seconds, that shouldn't be enough time for the CPU to overheat.

eden

Champion
And you are running a hot OCed Tbird???
You really are using a wonder cooled system. Seriously I mean I have a 1.4GHZ AXP, and it runs at 43º, while yours is a Tbird! Really nice job.

--

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
My case air flow is TOO GOOD! That causes the fan to spin too slow for a few seconds at startup
thats what i warned you about... :wink:

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I hope to work around this issue with some Arctic Silver 3. I just have one more exam to go! Civics!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I just have one more exam to go! Civics!
OO OO Mr.Carter I know the answer ....

a little car made by Honda

Horschach

<b><font color=blue>Alcohol, the source of and the solution to all of lifes problems</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, I said Civics not the Honda Civic. Civics is the study of the government and the rights and responsiblities of citizens.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i think we call that government (US government or whatever) here in the states...

G

Hmm.. that situation doesn't make much sense at all. Why would the case heating up cause the processor to work better? You don't live in a tent on Antarctica, do you? Aside from that, if the ambient case temperature is that cool, then the processor shouldn't be having any overheating problems that soon after turning it on. Unless, of course, we're talking about 15 minutes to a half hour.

I would be more inclined to think that there's some sort of interference going on when everything powers up at once. That or perhaps it's drawing too much power on initial bootup.

I really don't have a good suggestion, but I seriously doubt it's overheating in that short of time if the case temp is cool and there's at least some sort of fan action going on and a heat sink is on the cpu. It can't be the thermal adhesive or else you'd have more problems after everything warms up. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the new cooler emits some sort of EMI or other interference when spinning at 2000RPM but disappears as the RPM increases. I'd suggest to try cold booting it with the fan unplugged just to see if it boots without freezing, but that's almost useless if the lockups are only occasionally.

But then.. who said computers made sense? Those infrequent lockups are the worst things to try and troubleshoot, especially during bootup.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm.. that situation doesn't make much sense at all. Why would the case heating up cause the processor to work better? You don't live in a tent on Antarctica, do you? Aside from that, if the ambient case temperature is that cool, then the processor shouldn't be having any overheating problems that soon after turning it on. Unless, of course, we're talking about 15 minutes to a half hour.

I would be more inclined to think that there's some sort of interference going on when everything powers up at once. That or perhaps it's drawing too much power on initial bootup.

I really don't have a good suggestion, but I seriously doubt it's overheating in that short of time if the case temp is cool and there's at least some sort of fan action going on and a heat sink is on the cpu. It can't be the thermal adhesive or else you'd have more problems after everything warms up. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the new cooler emits some sort of EMI or other interference when spinning at 2000RPM but disappears as the RPM increases. I'd suggest to try cold booting it with the fan unplugged just to see if it boots without freezing, but that's almost useless if the lockups are only occasionally.
Yes, I agree, it's confusing.

In the morning, the ambient temp probably hovers around
0C, believe it or not. I don't like turning on the heat.

It's defintely not the PSU. I have a high-quality 430W Enermax Whisper that I bought about 5 months ago.

If the thermal pad isn't touching all the parts of the core, wouldn't some parts of the core overheat? Would this be the problem?

eden

Champion
My best suggestion for now?
Enable the heat protection if your mobo supports it. Not AMD's thermal diode one, the mobo. It should be in BIOS under ACPI. Enable a warning temp of the MINIMUM possible, as well as Shut Off minimum (mine was 60º). If the comp shut off instead of freezing or emits a noise, then it is likely that the heat has not correctly dissipated early on.
You said the freezing happens then after a while everything continues?
If the suggestion does not work, plug off ONE of the case fans. Your goal is to determine WHERE the cooling has to limit itself. If it freezes, then the guy who posted just above you, might be right. It could be interference, voltage, electrical problems. Have it checked as a last resort! I am afraid this coulda gotten worse if you got a Tbred later on, I mean their temps are far below the Tbirds, imagine the longevity of the freeze!! Man it'd serve as a summer gelato or AC... :)

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Unfortunately, my ABit KT7A doesn't have a heat protection feature.

eden

Champion
You're sure? No ACPI shut off? I'm kinda surprised, this ain't no famous feature or anything, it's a standard of shut offs...

--

TRENDING THREADS