Did Arctic Silver kill my T-bird?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm kinda curious, I have (or had) an AMD Thunderbird 1.2 that ran fine. I decided to switch heatsinks from an Alpha 6035 to an Alpha 8045. I removed the sinks and switched them and used fresh AS2 on my T-bird. I did, however have a tough time getting the old AS2 off, it wound up smearing all over the chip surface (used alcohol and a Q-tip). I know some AS2 got on the bridges but I rub with a Q-tip and alcohol to clean them out. I actually used a used toothbrush and rubbing alocohol to clean the entire chip surface. It discolored the chip but it appeared to clean it out. The system started and ran cooler.

But after a week or two, the system sometimes wouldn't start unless I held the reset button. Then it finally stopped running. I opened it up, recleaned the proc and then reinstalled with a very thin layer of AS2. The computer startup and ran a few times before it stopped working.

I finally decided to replace both the board and chip. Now I have the mobo involved with no chip, sitting in a closet. I may buy a new 1800 for it, but I also have the old 1.2 T-bird. It appears fine, there are no burn/scorched marks on it but there still appears to be a slight film of AS2 on the surface. Is it possible I didn't get all of this off and that it's shorting it out? Is the proc still good if I can find some way of cleaning it off better?

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
As2 is not electrically conductive unless under pressure, it cannot short bridges according to the as2 website.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

TRENDING THREADS