AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Everyone is always discussing the fastest everything components but most people want a fast and stable mid-range computer. Isn't it time we as group decide for $1000 to $1500 USD, which components would give the best bang for the buck?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
You think that'll actually work? :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What will? Raystonn tried this before, but it turned into flames, but I'd like to give it another try keeping it more open this time.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
It'd only work if it wasn't opened up for anyone's input. The problem is, where would it go? If it goes in the forum, it'll turn to flames.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Interesting. You'd need an overclocking and a non-overclocking set of catagories, as what is good to OC is not always as good as is (Yes, I know, P4a vs AXP debate, but it's a valid point)

It is an interesting thought though, and it does target most real people. Heck, I've never built my own top of the line system, I've just gone for the closest I could within a reasonable budget. And, unless money is truely no object, there is always an "Is it worth it" going on with every purchase. Some people just have a different oppinion of what is worth what ammount of money.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Definitely the ECS K7S5A with DDR, but maybe the AXP 1700+ instead.

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
AMD Athlon T-bird 1.0Ghz
FIC AD-11 Motherboard
1 stick PC-266 DDR SDRAM Crucial Technologies
Geforce2 Pro retail (oc'd to 220/440)
SB Live! Value
Altec Lansing 4.1 Speakers
12x8x32x LG CD-RW
Basic Floppy Drive
Mid Tower Case
Microsoft Optical Intellimouse
Basic Keyboard

almost 5500 in 3DMark2001
roughly $1,000 and still going strong :)

"When there's a will, there's a way."

dhlucke

Polypheme
How did you get your 3Dmark2k1 score so high on that system?

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if there's no overclocking...i know it'll be an AXP based system (or at least an amd based)...

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
OK, lets see how this is taken

Enlight 7237 Mid tower case
Abit KR7A-RAID
Athlon XP 1700+ (maybe 1800+ this week)
256 meg Crucial DDR (512 for the upper end of the 1000-1500 range)
2x fast ide drives (40 gigs+, striped) or 4x for upper end of range (RIAD 0/1) esp if you need secured data!
Sony 24x CDRW (others have reviewed better, but I like mine so....)
Floppy? (I dont use one)
ATI Radeon 7500 (8500 DV for high end, Geforce 3 once they come down more or geforce 4 for high end)
3com 10/100 or 56k modem
Sound Blaster Live! card (audigy for high end, I cant hear a diff though =)

If you went with all the high end options you would prolly be over 1500, with none close to 1000.....

What you guys think?

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
The reason I recommended the K7S5A is because it's dirt cheap and it's within a couple percent of the top performer. That's the best bang for your buck.

Maybe we should focus on what this system will be used for...

Games? Audio? Video? Internet? Business? Overclocking? All?

Obviously overclocking and non-overclocking has to be seperate.

Not everyone needs RAID, nobody needs a floppy, and the soundcard (up to you) and NIC card can be crossed off if you use the MB I listed.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
hehe, floppy is your call, I had to pull one from my toher machine to load custom scsi drivers so I maybe should have one in there.......

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I may agree with those suggestions if it was to be a low end system. For mid range systems id try to stay away from integrated stuff. For most people the hard disk is the biggest bottleneck int thier system. The onboard raid solution is cheap and effective, and can also be had within the budget specified! If the budget was "under 1000" id drop the raid, if it was "under 750" id get the integrated board.....

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
euh, guy, who buys a comp without a monitor

i say lets go for a 1500us$ system ALL included. like average joe would buy. But a good system. Something you would suggest to a friend on that budget.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
LG 995E 19" is a great value if you dont need flat, and would fit into the system I mentioned well in the budget!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
For the overclocked system, I would suggest a axp1700+ and a kt333 motherboard, run the cpu at 166fsb, and you will have GREAT performance.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Will win2k let you? When you boot up the install it says press F6 to install third party drivers (required for most raid setups) and later when it actually asks for a driver it asks you to put it in the floppy. If there is no floppy installed the win2k install crashes with a f&($@d up error which I dont remember atm. That is the ONLY REASON I even have a floppy sitting around.....

dhlucke

Polypheme
LOL. I'm not sure about W2K or all the possible scenarios. I don't have raid setup on my system.

I know that I don't need a floppy drive though. I created one CD that installs both WinXP and has all my drivers on it. Works pretty good. Did it on a CD-RW so that I can update it often.

Somebody here might now if you're sol and stuck with a floppy though. If you disable the floppy in your bios what does Win2K do when you install?

Well I've spent some time on a spreadsheet doing some sums and percents and with my best prices:

XP1500 - more expensive than the 1600, so no way.

XP1600 - Gives the best price per MHz.

XP1700 - Slightly edged out by the 1600, but as a comparison on the 1500, the best option.

XP1800, 1900, 2000 - All down to the budget and requirements of the user.

To recap:

XP1500+ £0.081 /MHz
XP1600+ £0.074 /MHz
XP1700+ £0.075 /MHz
XP1800+ £0.082 /MHz
XP1900+ £0.101 /MHz
XP2000+ £0.127 /MHz

Add to this the fact that if you use the 1500+ as a base reference, both the 1600 and the 1700 have a higher MHz % gain than a price % loss. Granted the 1500 is more expensive than the 1600 here, so the ratios get stuffed by this factor.

However, The 1700 has a 4.71% performance increase (whole numbers for calcs) and a 6.84% price increase. These figures make choosing rather easy if you have a budget of £150, but <b>bang for buck, it seems the XP1600+ still leads the show.</b>

If anybody fancies posting their best prices (I include tax & shipping in mine), I'll be happy to apply the numbers for a result near you :smile: .

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "EVERYTHING'S GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
As far as an overclocking system, the Pentium 4 1.6A leads the show.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =