story here,

<A HREF="http://www.shawnscomputers.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=17&threadid=9365" target="_new">http://www.shawnscomputers.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=17&threadid=9365</A>

pics here;
<A HREF="http://www.monster-pc.com/fubar.jpg" target="_new">http://www.monster-pc.com/fubar.jpg</A>

i hope i did the link thing right ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
It’s rather suspicious that there is no damage to the socket and no stray pins within that socket. Looks like a Joe Job to me.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh. I'm willing to grant the possability that it really happened as claimed. THG has already given us a video of a smoking Athlon, so why not? [really big shrug]

<pre><font color=green>//error-proof coding</font color=green>
<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>

thats what i thought... but if you look closer ... you can see burn marks and the edges of where the crack is is smooth where the core is. Only thing that can cause that is it to be melted. If he used a hammer it would be sharp and there would be no burn marks. and then to the right of it is where it gets sharper. Suggesting it has exploded. Also the little metal "things" popped off ... if it was a hand job you would see scrape marks...

as for the clip how do you know he didn't put that in another motherboard because he tossed the old mobo out and kept the chip.

also that isn't tomshardware forum. Only people i nthis forum would do that on purpose because this place is loaded with trolls.

to make a conclusion like that because of a clip isn't broken like he said is not all that wise. as i said he could have put it in another motherboard. Or the clip is broken. just not the motherboard clip. It could be the back side was broken and not the front. usually there is a plastic like clip thing on the other end, if you look there isn't one in the middle where it should be. right?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
The damage from Tom’s video was much more pronounced, yet their core remained intact and the ceramic was basically unaffected. Even if it did happen the corpse was obviously moved from its original resting place cleaned and returned. Remember the rational man accepts all he sees and the irrational man questions everything. I therefore am not a rational man.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
regardless whether it's a fake or not, I have to say this: AMD you look marvelous, you POS!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Don’t you find it a bit confusing that broken capacitors were placed on the chip or broken in place, yet no other material is found around the socket?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I was just going to post this, I saw it over at AnandTech.

He said it's the same mobo, and it still has the broken clip.

So if you hate this forum so much, why do you keep coming back? It's like heroine, isn't it? :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Its a fake....no doubt......

look at the left side of where the core is SUPPOSED to be.......theres like a chisel/screwdriver/something flat mark/indent there.........someone was probably an idiot and chipped the core, and the cpu never worked again, so than they took it out of the socket and busted it up (and believe me you have to put some serious effort into braking the ceramic packaging for AMD Chips.....) and if it "blew up" where's the fragments of the actual core??? let alone there isn’t even close to enough pressure from electrical malfunction or heat related incidents to make the packaging break.......I took a decent hit to the packaging of a friends old TBird 800 with a hammer and the thing didn’t even chip....just a tiny scratch.....ud have to have something with a thin, strong/hard edge with a significant of repeated hits in order to get that thing to break......therefore im calling it a fake....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
It does in many ways seem fake, however someone here said the clip isnt broken, the middle one on the top is indeed missing, take a close look!

In any case if this IS real its the first case I have seen that a chip was burnt other then some jackass forgetting to hook up hsf or something like that.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I have heard of people moving PCs and the heat sink gets loose or falls off entirely and then they power it up and, well, the rest is history. Still, anyone who has an overweight heat sink and moves their PC (or worse, ships it without first removing the HS) and then doesn't check it before they boot up is a little silly at the least and kind of deserves it. Heh heh. I mean, to my knowledge, OEMs have limits on the weight of the heat sink so that they don't get knocked off during shipping, so anyone with one larger than that should know better.

<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still have my doubts as to accepting either that it is or isn't a fake. There are some good points on why it looks faked, but there are still some things that don't fit that perfectly.

Such as the metal plate under bridges on the right side that is now exposed doesn't have any scratch marks on it. Ceramic might not scratch easily, but metal does. I would think banging around to break it up would have caused a little more obvious damage there.

And the discoloration of the ceramic in places around the exposed metal regions of the chip looks interesting at the least. Though it has been a while since I've looked at a chip like that, so maybe it's normal for some chips?

What really leaves me thinking that it might be real though is that vertical crack. If it were just a blow from a hammer that had caused it, the crack would be more linear. The fact that it wavers so much is more indicative of expansion that caused a wide stress field before the structural integrity of the material finally gave way.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yes, I agree, but as you said that is user stupidity. I have never seen one fall off myself, but I always check!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

eden

Champion
That's why new AMD mobos have their own thermal diodes to shut off. Although only new mobos will implement this feature, current ones have their own.
I set mine to shut off at 60º with a warning sound at 55º, so there is no way AMD CPUs are so fragile as to not lasting through overheat if you don't take care. Besides, AMD CPUs are not for wussies who can't handle putting an HSF right, or toying in the BIOS to set a shut off point. Intel IMO has spent way too much to protect their CPUs. I mean look: They put Heat Spreaders. THEN, the Throttle system. And if all that wasn't enough, a Heatsink cage was put in! I beleive this is a bit too much R&D over heat issues.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This kind of protection is what the corporate market demands. Are you saying AMD cannot play in the corporate market?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The p4s cooling protection is awesome, and amds properly implemented thermal control system, while not as good as the p4 system, is perfectly adequate for the corporate market.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I am not saying otherwise. But it looks like Eden is.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
Nope, sorry if you seen it that way.
I said that AMD's way is different and still not fully implemented, but the current mobos can also do a similar technique, though the reading of the temp may not be as accurate. That is why I set my shutoff temp so low as 60º, knowing it might actually be 65º on the CPU itself.
But keep in mind, my point was that AMD does not need to implement this thermal protection as much as Intel needs to for its customers. Those who burn their AMD CPUs are clearly irresponsible, had no clue whatsoever in building, or did not read the instructions. Mat might agree here with me. Lhgpoobaa once wrote a sig that makes sense to me: AMD's lack of thermal protection is a cunning way to keep morons away...
Says a lot does it?
I stand by my point of Intel having spent WAY too much time on that protection. You got 3 levels of protection here, AMD has one only, and needs no more currently (thermal shut off) until later when Hammer will use Heatspreaders.

--

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
AMD's lack of thermal protection is a cunning way to keep morons away
Most corporate users fall into that category though, as far as computer knowledge goes. Are you saying AMD designs their processors to keep the corporate sector away?

-Raystonn

eden

Champion
Why are you asking me if I am saying stuff I am NOT saying?
It's the same thing like when you talk debates with Mat!!
AMD continues to try to do more for its customers, but right now I am saying they are not in direct need to do such protection like Intel, simply because for now the enthusiast market dominates the corporate and home Joe. They are currently stable in the market and their shares are rising by the month. Until AMD has become known enough, we continue to make them grow further, and since it's us enthusiasts who drive them, it's why I tell you this.

--

TRENDING THREADS