Sign in with
Your question

Via C3 CPUs

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2002 6:20:55 PM

Does Tom's Hardware plan on doing a CPU review of the Via C3 processors (with comparison to Celerons and Durons) anytime in the near future?

More about : cpus

March 7, 2002 6:57:31 PM

I'd advise you to email and ask. None of the authors ever come to the forum.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 7, 2002 8:32:35 PM

There is a good one work reason why noone bothers: crap!!

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
Related resources
March 8, 2002 12:43:07 AM

maybe...
but they do have advantages (running with a passive cooler for instance)

and besides, we would like to know HOW crap

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2002 4:31:57 AM

You could underclock anything to run as poorly as the C3, and run passive cooling with lower voltage.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 8, 2002 11:49:38 AM

<font color=green>
Quote:
I'd advise you to email and ask. None of the authors ever come to the forum.

</font color=green>Of course this assumes that they actually read their email. I know that I've sent a great many emails with suggestions that have gone completely unanswered.

<pre><font color=green>//error-proof coding</font color=green>
<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>
March 8, 2002 12:13:32 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if you could run a Tualatin or even a Coppermine slower and lower power consumption and still beat a C3 in performance...
I think I've gotten over my urge to try a Cyrix... lol
the math is just horrible...

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
March 8, 2002 3:12:09 PM

I have received replies, though not always. I've never talked to a reviewer that didn't read every email, but when 50 people ask the same question, chances are they won't answer all of them.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 8, 2002 3:56:28 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a review of their Eden platform too. It sounds like it would make a great DVD player/WebTV/TiVo box.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords
March 8, 2002 4:35:26 PM

hehe, it would be interesting if nothing else

as far as running with passive cooling, I have a 933 (133 bus) PIII running with just a heatsink....id be willing to bet its faster then any C3 available =)

March 8, 2002 5:06:02 PM

I still want to see someone come up with a CD/DVD/MP3 player box (no larger than any regular DVD player) that can burn CDs, with the ability to also view/listen from an internal hard drive, as well as do everything a TiVo can do, and the ability to be connected to an ethernet to act as a file server.

I mean anyone could probably build a computer in a microATX case for a grand that could do all of this (maybe even for less), but that would still be using an actual computer type interface instead of just a single remote control, so it wouldn't really <i>feel</i> like a home everything appliance, and it would still be in a larger-than-needed case.

<pre><font color=green>//error-proof coding</font color=green>
<font color=blue>void</font color=blue> main(){<font color=blue>return</font color=blue>;}</pre><p>
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2002 7:27:09 PM

Actually the Celeron 800 is faster than any C3 avaialble! Your 933 would undoubtedly kill even a dual processor C3 system, if it were available.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 8, 2002 8:33:30 PM

hahahaha

!