Do ANY of the GOP contenders for 2012 have a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do ANY of the GOP contenders for 2012 have a plan besides getting Obama out of office? I have not heard anything about how they will fix the nation but only talk about how much Obama is a 'Failure' or 'No Change' and that is about it.

Listen, if ANY of them want my vote, they must come up with a plan.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Get in power by kicking Obama out and then staying in power as long as possible, that pretty much sums up their plan.

Although I don't see a republican winning the election, just them staying powerful enough in both houses to continue cranking out filibusters to try to kick the democrats out.

4745454b

Titan
Dem or Repub, I don't see any of them with a plan. Even BO (Love those initials...) plans which he talked about haven't lead to great things. He gets a national health care plan setup, and our credit rating goes down. Says we'll pull out, but we still have troops in the war zones. I'm not saying those are bad things, but even his plans haven't gone the way he wanted or lead to things he expected.

As I've mentioned in other threads of yours, ALL of our politicians are bought. It's the way our system works now. Obi Wan was right.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Or we can save ourselves the time and mental anguish with a quick paraphrase:
Anakin: "I like Palpatine."
Obi Wan: "He's a politician!! Search your feelings, something isn't right."

In any event, 4745454b is right, it's not who the politician is, it's that we've accepted the idea that another may have sovereign control over our private lives.
EDIT: 4745454b, I don't mean to impute this last statement to you, rather I agree with what you said, and this is my take on the subject.

4745454b

Titan
Obi Wan: "He's a politician!!

Perhaps one of the best lines from any of those movies. I found it odd that many like 4-6, and hate 1-3. Is religion easier for people to handle then politics? Probably more likely that the religiousness of 4-6 was more subtle then the politics of 1-3.

The successful Republican candidate's plans will be based on Paul Ryan's plan as shown here:

http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/

The Democrat's have no plan except "tax the oil companies and the corporate jet owners" . . . while their taxing intentions are actually quite different lol.

But the lack of a plan isn't surprising. Hell, they don't even bother putting together a budget.

Michele Bachmann Says She Would Eliminate Minimum Wage to Stimulate U.S. Economy

I also suspect she will help homosexuals 'pray away the gay.'

Tim Pawlenty has signed Grover's Taxpayer Protection Pledge to oppose all tax increases, and committed to veto any tax increases.

A little background information:

In FY2000, Federal tax revenues were $2.03 trillion (balanced budget).
In FY2011, anticipated Federal tax revenues are $2.17 trillion (budget way out of balance).

GDP has increased 55% in 11 years - tax receipts 6%. Federal revenues are at their lowest percentage of GDP since 1950.

First, show me the democrat plan.

We borrow 40% of this year's spending, and will continue that for the forseeable future. Oooops the credit card is full, because the problem is the DEFICIT and the DEBT, not the debt limit. There is no Social Security Trust Fund. Medicare costs continue to skyrocket, and all say that MEDICARE is the biggest entitltement problem.

Then there's Obamacare that adds another healthcare entitlement which they estimate will only cost $1 trillion. This they half-fund with $500 billion in cuts to . . . wait for it . . . MEDICARE lol.

Not to mention that the States are bankrupt, though they collect more taxes than ever before, and give less services that they used to . . . no more garbage collection, sewer, water, street cleaning, city fire fighters . . . because they are paying for . . . what? Public service salaries, benefits, and MEDICARE.

"How do the voting people think of this?" LOL, I'd like to be a billionaire and screw supermodels. Ain't gonna happen. Whether the votin people like it or not, that's where we're going, because THERE AIN'T NO MORE MONEY.

4745454b

Titan
Based on the previous two comments, that's a bit of my issue. Its not so much taxes or spending, but everything as a whole taken together. Why would Tim tie his hands like that? Why should the Repubs hold us hostage because they refuse to increase ANY taxes. Guess what folks, times are bad. Some taxes probably should be raised. Some programs should be cut. Some should even be eliminated. Popular no, but it needs to be done. But thats why we'll never see it happen because everyone wants to get re-elected. They don't do whats best, they do what keeps them in power longest/"cements their legacy". Red or blue, its all the same.

There will be tax increases, and increased revenue, when there are *real* cuts.

Otherwise you're just chasing endless entitlement demands with revenues that cannot possibly pay for them, no matter where taxes go.

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Government spending IS endless. It comes from never stopping.

Which is a good thing, because like breathing it is important to not stop for too long.

There's also plenty of wealth around. Do you know the current total wealth of the United States? It's over 50 trillion. US corporations actually have about 2 trillion of cash they aren't spending, but are holding it. Yet they complain they're suffering and impoverished.

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Who said I wanted to take it at all? I have no plans myself, but I'm not running for office, so I don't feel obligated to produce one. I was just pointing out that your contention that there was no more money was in error.

There's plenty of money. And there's even more wealth. It's not gone.

But your assumptions about what I would suggest doing aside, you do know that money taken in taxes by the government doesn't just disappear, right? It gets spent. If the money gets spent, then it's more productive use than just holding it storage. It could create a lot of beneficial economic activity that would enable more growth, which might even help those corporations more. They might even get far more dollars back in the end. That is the principle behind fractional reserve banking after all.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

Supposedly Michelle Bachmann has a plan. it includes repealing obama care cutting taxes making a balanced budget which includes cutting spending (somehow a balanced budget is out of the question and deemed radical right when clinton made a balanced budget in his presidency) and making some reforms on social security and medicare. that is it in simple terms.
Ron paul: well he is who i like a lot because of his libertarian views like how we dont need to be in wars (+1 for that) reform on the federal reserve (its been needed for a long time). smaller government since libertarians dont like big governments. and a lot of the things that bachmann is doing...
i havent been following mitt romney very much. he is just a weak canidate even though he is supposedly one of the favorites
tim pawlenty: he is supposedly another strong canidate and i was going to read up on him soon he should be doing a lot that bachmann is doing

i think bachman is going to win the republican nomination and in the end beat obama because of the economic mess we are in right now i dont think any president can be re-elected in this kind of economy. she just cant make too many mistakes because we know the main stream media will just kill her.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

well its early i meant later since her mistakes now dont get as much attention...

You missed the entire point. You throw around wealth numbers like $50 trillion and $2 trillion as if to prove there's enough money for the government to keep on spending. Taking ALL of the corporate wealth accumulated over years would cover ONE year's deficit.

You make the claim that, besides wealth, there's plenty of money around. There are 4.3 million tax returns showing income over $200,000 per year. The average of these returns is $425,000. Once again, if you took ALL the money earned over $200,000/yr, you would increase annual revenue by LESS than $1 trillion. That would not cover the annual deficit.

So where is this "plenty of money"? You simply have no concept of how enormous government spending and borrowing has become, nor how it will continue to grow due to Social Security, Medicare, and now Obamacare.

There is nowhere near "plenty of money".

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
if everyone gave all of there money earned for 1 yr. it would pay off a little less than 1/2 of the debt. sound like a great plan right? except we would all be living in caves but never mind that part of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.