Hole in P4 NW

phunktion

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I was about to put some ASII and my heatsink on my NW P4 when I noticed a hole on it. I am wondering if I need to not get any ASII in there or what? Or if I could possibly just fill the hole up ?

G

Read post below. Sorry double post.

If it boots then it works, simple enough ?

G

I believe that hole is a vent. I probally wrong but good guess.

If it boots then it works, simple enough ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, you might actually get it to run cooler if you filled it. The core underneath is sealed just like the old Coppermine core, so getting anything in there is harmless. But filling it could make a larger conductive surface to the cap (heat spreader) from the core.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Doubt it, it's a rather tiny hole in the corner. It might lower his temps by about .001c or so. And like you said, it could pop off.

Wait...or do you mean completely filling the inside of the IHS? I'm thinking it'd have to be vacuum sealed (or air would still expand), but it's an interesting thought.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Wait...or do you mean completely filling the inside of the IHS? I'm thinking it'd have to be vacuum sealed (or air would still expand), but it's an interesting thought.

A vaccume is an insulator(actually its the perfect insulator), if you did that I would imagine temps would rise.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

phunktion

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
So should I just cover the whole thing and try not to get any in the hole? I imagine once I put the heatsink on it might push some compound into the hole anyway.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, just spread it around and don't get any in the hole.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It might be a nifty feature to put in a ring into it to make a good keychain! Just that it takes a lot of skill to actually burn the P4! Wish the Cyrix M-II and AMD Athlons had it!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Heres the <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/new_img_01/oct/2ghz_keychain.html" target="_new">keychain</A> link I dug up that <font color=green>fatburger</font color=green> posted a while back.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow! great minds think alike! makes a pretty good keychain, just dont put it in your front pocket, those pins, 478 of them might do something nasty!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>