Removing "Dell Solution Center" from the Start menu

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thought I would post this for anyone interested in getting rid of the icon
Dell places on the Start Menu in some OEM installs. Evidently there is no
other way (at least that I have found after several hours of searching)...I
am "Dell Free" now so I do not need it.

Delete the following registry key (and subkeys) and restart.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
@="Dell Solution Center"

Worked for me anyway...:<)

the "dell solution center" icon can alternatively be removed from the start
menu as follows:
right click on task bar and select 'properties' and the 'taskbar and start
menu properties' window will open. select the 'start menu' tab. select
'customize' button and the 'customize start menu' window will open. select
the 'advanced' tab. scroll through the 'start menu items:' list and locate
the check box next to 'manufacturers link'... uncheck the 'manufacturers
link' and click 'ok' to exit the 'customize start menu' window. select
'apply' and then 'ok' in the 'taskbar and start menu properties' window.

"James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Thought I would post this for anyone interested in getting rid of the icon
> Dell places on the Start Menu in some OEM installs. Evidently there is no
> other way (at least that I have found after several hours of
searching)...I
> am "Dell Free" now so I do not need it.
>
> Delete the following registry key (and subkeys) and restart.
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
> @="Dell Solution Center"
>
> Worked for me anyway...:<)

Christopher and James, why remove only the shortcut?

Why not remove the entire program (mine doesn't work any more anyway, I
notice)? Use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and select Dell Solution
Center, and click on the Remove button.

That should (I didn't try this yet) remove not only the shortcut on the
Start menu, but also everything else associated with the (now
non-functioning) solution center.

- Don

> the "dell solution center" icon can alternatively be removed from the
> start
> menu as follows:
> right click on task bar and select 'properties' and the 'taskbar and start
> menu properties' window will open. select the 'start menu' tab. select
> 'customize' button and the 'customize start menu' window will open. select
> the 'advanced' tab. scroll through the 'start menu items:' list and
> locate
> the check box next to 'manufacturers link'... uncheck the 'manufacturers
> link' and click 'ok' to exit the 'customize start menu' window. select
> 'apply' and then 'ok' in the 'taskbar and start menu properties' window.
>
> "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Thought I would post this for anyone interested in getting rid of the
>> icon
>> Dell places on the Start Menu in some OEM installs. Evidently there is no
>> other way (at least that I have found after several hours of
> searching)...I
>> am "Dell Free" now so I do not need it.
>>
>> Delete the following registry key (and subkeys) and restart.
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
>> @="Dell Solution Center"
>>
>> Worked for me anyway...:<)

It's not listed in Add/Remove programs.

It's only a link, not a program. It's far easier to disable through the
start menu.

"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
> Christopher and James, why remove only the shortcut?
>
> Why not remove the entire program (mine doesn't work any more anyway, I
> notice)? Use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and select Dell
> Solution Center, and click on the Remove button.
>
> That should (I didn't try this yet) remove not only the shortcut on the
> Start menu, but also everything else associated with the (now
> non-functioning) solution center.
>
> - Don
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> the "dell solution center" icon can alternatively be removed from the
>> start
>> menu as follows:
>> right click on task bar and select 'properties' and the 'taskbar and
>> start
>> menu properties' window will open. select the 'start menu' tab. select
>> 'customize' button and the 'customize start menu' window will open.
>> select
>> the 'advanced' tab. scroll through the 'start menu items:' list and
>> locate
>> the check box next to 'manufacturers link'... uncheck the 'manufacturers
>> link' and click 'ok' to exit the 'customize start menu' window. select
>> 'apply' and then 'ok' in the 'taskbar and start menu properties' window.
>>
>> "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Thought I would post this for anyone interested in getting rid of the
>>> icon
>>> Dell places on the Start Menu in some OEM installs. Evidently there is
>>> no
>>> other way (at least that I have found after several hours of
>> searching)...I
>>> am "Dell Free" now so I do not need it.
>>>
>>> Delete the following registry key (and subkeys) and restart.
>>>
>>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
>>> @="Dell Solution Center"
>>>
>>> Worked for me anyway...:<)

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For whatever reason (my OEM install may have been different from others) the
icon just would not go away. I uninstalled anything related to Dell via
Add/Remove and searched the Start menu folders in vain. I also did not have
the "manufacturer's link" option.