System gone mad - any ideas..?

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Desperately in need of some help here.....

My main audio rig has started going flakey on me over the last few days, having been rock solid for about 6 months. It's a dual 2.2GHz Xeon (Prestonia) machine on a Supermicro DC6 with 1GB of RD800 RAM, Win2K SP3.

Basically, it started hanging a couple of times a day a week or so ago, then these hangs got more frequent so that I could only work for short periods without a crash. So today, I reverted back to my backup system partition, thinking it had to be OS related or a corrupt driver.....

No joy. Here's the current state of play: straight after bootup, with no applications running, as many background processes disabled as possible, I am getting massive CPU spikes on CPU 1 about every 30 seconds. I can see them in the Task Manager->Performance box, and they're absolutely regular. When they ocurr the system also stops responding for a few seconds.

If this isn't an OS issue (I will reinstall from scratch if poeple are dead sure it's Windows), could it be the beginnings of a dodgy CPU, bad memory or disk, or perhaps a heat problem? I've got another fan running just today in case heat was an issue. I don't think it is - Supero Doctor II shows the CPU's around 35 degrees and the system at 38 degrees - when I take the side off I'd say it's alot cooler than that - practically no heat buildup at all.

If anyone has any ideas - I'd be truly grateful.

Thx in advance

Jules

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ok, this sounds like one of your processes is using a huge chunk of resources. Take a look in TaskManager/Processes and watch the CPU usage numbers beside each process... one of them will likely be hogging the CPU.

Once you know which process is greedy, perhaps there are settings or other ways to tame it down.

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Thanks guys.

None of the processes had any activity at all (besides system idle), but the spikes carried on. I'm doing a complete reinstall as I couldn't track the problem.

I tested the PSU and it's fine.