mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I am getting sick of people asking when AMD will release the Thouroughbred version of the Athlon XP.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/09030201.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/09030201.htm</A>

From reading that artical Thouroughbred wont be here until May this year <b>the earliest</b>.

In my opinion AMD are slighlty behind schedule which means that thier .13 micron mass production is not up to full speed yet. (Yes I do know that AMD plan to be fully converted to .13micron at the end of 02). We have already seen Thouroughbred running way back in Q4 01 therefore am sure the processor itself is fine its just that the transition to .13micron it taking slightly longer than expected (I doubt this will affect the Hammer line).

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
<font color=blue>In fact, on the 20th of March, many motherboard manufacturers will receive fully working <b>samples</b> of the Thoroughbred.

Sources a cigarette paper's width away from AMD confirm that's what's happening round about the 20th, and that <b>we won't see fully fledged machines running the Thoroughbred until about eight weeks afterwards.</b>
</font color=blue>

Believe what you want...

I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
too bad, i was really looking forward to it. well, must wait for a while longer!

actually, i still havent got a Palomino XP, I have a 1.1 gig tbird, just thought Tbreds are not far away, skipping Pal would be better!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
we won't see fully fledged machines running the Thoroughbred until about eight weeks afterwards.
Just because "fully fledged machines" won't be available, that doesn't mean that OEM chips won't be out sooner. Usually, the chips are available in the channel at least 3-4 weeks prior to the "available" date.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I doubt it very much...the chips are probably <i>in the channel</i> as we speak now. OEM's will only have limited supplies...I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

We won't see any action until the last week of April- early May time.

I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mr_gobbledegook on 03/10/02 05:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Now now, Crash, hold the bad thoughts and words, you never know if the Inquirer might be lying here. I mean AMD introduces Tbred in March, then 2 months later it is out? I somewhat do not beleive this. If AMD plays that way, they might be outrunned by Intel.
So hold a little more till we hear officially next week! CEBIT IS GETTING CLOSE!!!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I agree with you Eden. I can't see AMD allowing Intel to release a 2.4ghz P4 wthout firing back with at least an Athlon XP PR2200.

Let's see what they say during Cebit. I suspect we'll get more detailed info on Hammer by then and maybe even a few preliminary specs from actual silicon. Of course, it will also be nice to see a T-bred announcement with a firm release date.

If AMD has converted 50% Dresden to .13micron I don't see where it would take long to ramp up T-bred, especially if the conversion is going as expected like they say.

Mark=

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

eden

Champion
I'm excited to see if any Hammer news come up, especially performance and spec wise, because that would show Raystonn that we are right about AMD not screwing up this one.

--

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
They were some many delay on Nw.It logical that AMD get the same trouble that intel have.It been near 6 month that the tuatuline was release.

My prediction still true up to date.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Even though - bang for $ it is tough to argue that 1.6A woody. Figure the top tbred is going to be over double the cost of the 1.6A, probably around $350-$400.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

chrismet86

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Hey Grizzley1, it's been a while. This is the FB from BZ/BZ2.

I'm waiting for the Hammer to come out anyways:

1: I have no money
2: I really want to see it crush Intel's P4 at the time.

:)

if(GetSystemMetrics(SM_PROCESSOR) != AMD_PROCESSOR)
{
SendMessage(hwnd,WM_CLOSE,0,0);
}

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Eden, I kinda think that's irrelevant. What folks here think about Hammer 6+ months befoore release is irrelevant. It's nice to diuscuss the possibilities, but really, the proof is in the pudding, and there's no pudding until there's actual product on the shelves and reviewed by reliable sources.

Besides, whatever the info that may come from Cebit about Hammer, remember the P4 info months prior to the release of the original retail Willamette P4 and how different the actual shipping product was (estimated performance-wise).

Mark-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Even though - bang for $ it is tough to argue that 1.6A woody. Figure the top tbred is going to be over double the cost of the 1.6A, probably around $350-$400.

Looks as if there will be a tbred 1800+, which should be cheaper than the 1.6a.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Looks as if there will be a tbred 1800+, which should be cheaper than the 1.6a
but what we don't know is if it will overclock 50% on air. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We know the 1.6A does, in most cases, with the stock cooler... As they say, time will tell. I hope it does, but the P4 is here now, the Tbred is still at least 2 months from general retail, probably more.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

eden

Champion
Actually if the Hammer "isn't doing so hot" right now for you, I'd say that AMD has done a lot in the last 2 weeks since their intervention at IDF 2002. I mean they had a low clock speed running Hammer to show, no AGP and a reference board that caused a conspiracy with Intel's jingle. Now they've pretty much solved the AGP, and are running at near-full speed!
That's some nice work by AMD, and I have a feeling they are on track for now! We'll just see how it is at CeBIT.

--

eden

Champion
I remember the P4, but then they did show us in the end the latest specs or "updated" ones later on didn't they?
Also, I just can't see how AMD could not pull it right.
Think about it, the Hammer is bigger, but it ain't a P4 with a 20 stage pipeline! Where can the IPC be lost! Also with a bigger core, and the Hyper Transport, the FPU and ALU were already fitting in the smaller Athlon die, so how can it not work here?
Simply put, there are too many reasons why it cannot do like what Intel did with the Willy. I agree we should wait and see, but personally, this wouldn't make sense because they got it all in front of them.

--

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I don't disagree with your assessment Eden, BUT let's not go overboard. I personally would prefer to be a bit conservative than expect more than is delivered. So, while your theories may be right on target, since we don't have actual silicon to base the theories on, perhaps it's best to be a little conservative.

Mark-

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
but what we don't know is if it will overclock 50% on air. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We know the 1.6A does, in most cases, with the stock cooler... As they say, time will tell. I hope it does, but the P4 is here now, the Tbred is still at least 2 months from general retail, probably more.

As I have said in many previous threads, theres nothing the Northwood has that the tbred wont also have in regards to oc potential.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!