round cables

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
soon as i get my new mobo w/ raid im going to have a big problem with too many ribbons in front of my case fan, i was thinking about buying those nifty round cables, but they are 8 bucks a piece! i will have six cables running around there, thats just no good. so i am going to try to fashion my own. only thing im worried about is, are the pairs twisted? does it affect transmission if i just jumble all the wires together? from the pictures i cant really tell if they are twisted.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
why do you rewire you case. Take your cables and fold them out of the way. Round cables are not worth the price that you pay for them.....

you can easily fold your normal cables so they are out of the way just takes a little time and afford. Also a another good thing to do is zip tie your power cables back and up out of the way.

MeldarthX

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i did that, that makes it very difficult to remove and add different drives a lot. i agree the cables arent worth the price, thats why im not buying them!

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i rounded my own. cut every five wires and pull them together w/ zip ties. i don't have any data integrity problems, but mine are average lenght. i've heard of people w/ full towers and long cables who have problems.

*note* -- never hurts to practice on a spare first. my sugestion is use a very sharp exacto knife and poke a hole between the wires and then pull w/ your thumbs. don't try to cut a slit. hard to keep the knife on line. but if you pull you should just seperate the plastic and leave the wires coated.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
after trying a couple times on bad cables i have decided to split all the wires individually, groups of five doesnt leave the cable as flexible as i would like. i have found 1/4 inch split loom sheath, should work well.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, your perogitive. i'm not sure on this but i would imagine that would increse the likelyhood of data corruption. however, i'm not sure how likely that is in the first place. so good luck. let us know.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it would also be a good idea to pass a ground wire or two alongwith that bunch of wires. when data lines get crowded there is always a possibility of EMI and crosstalk. you always have a spare power connector, just get a long wire into its ground line (BLACK wire) and tie it alongwith your cable.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
tried this with my SB Audigy cable - screwed it nicely. Not sure what broke. It looks roughly like a regular IDE cable, so I'm gonna try a swap.

Seriously though, $8 for a rounded cable - it isn't that much, especially since you rarely have enough cables in the first place. You hang 2 drives per cable usually. 3 cables for 6 devices, is that the end of the world on a $1500 system?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

stitch

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2002
Just got the round cables today, and I must say that while they don't really unclutter things as much as you might like, they do look rather spiffy. And at $8 each (from NewEgg) they're not THAT expensive.

Although I sure wish I'd bought the floppy cable in the right length... (grumble, grumble).

-->Stitch

G

I needed some custom length cables so I made my own.

A 4-inch floppy cable. Simply use between the A and B drives, cut the rest off and separated it to round it myself. Do not care about cross talk a the floppy that never gets used.

A 6-inch CD drive cable, used a regular IDE cable and again used between the master and slave. Then again separated it to round it myself. Don't use the CD too often and I normally go for the full install on most stuff, so I haven't noticed any data corruption via cross-talk.

I need a short ATA100 cable, but when I tried using just the short section between the master and slave, it didn't work. And I let it flat first to make sure it would work, but it didn't. I tried the jumper in both CS and Master positions, but no go...

Well two out of three shorties isn't too bad. Maybe I'll make some at work...

First time I powered up my 'puter my wife asked "Where's that swarm of bees?"

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i quite liek my round cables
free up a bit of room, look professional, and are able to be twisted in very useful ways

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile: