Authenticity of XP processor in question

G

Well I have a K7S5A mobo and an Athlon 1800+. Upon recieving my computer I opened the bios settings to find that the FSB and Memory bus were clocked at 133mhz. I wanted to find the baseline non-overclocked values for this new computer so I brought the values down to the normal 100mhz. Upon restarting my computer the screen that normaly said Athlon 1800+ now read Athlon Proccesor 1050mhz. Another worry i had was that one screen in the startup read that my processor had been clocked at 1.53 mhz before i lowered the fsb to 100mhz. My question is how do I found if my processor is really authentic and what speed it is?

eden

Champion
Um what you did and what you saw is normal...
Your XP has to be at 133MHZ in order for the multiplier to total 1533MHZ. It's obvious. Now if you want authentic, go to your My Computer properties and check for AMDAuthentic string....lol. (no I wouldn't be this low to say such like Meltdown!)

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
<quote>
Upon recieving my computer I opened the bios settings to find that the FSB and Memory bus were clocked at 133mhz. I wanted to find the baseline non-overclocked values for this new computer so I brought the values down to the normal 100mhz.
</quote>

Huh? Baseline non-overclocked? 133mhz is NOT overclocked. That is the proper memory and fsb setting. By changing that to 100, you basically underclocked your cpu.

The second issue is that 1800 does not refer to the mhz of the cpu for Athlon XP processors. It dose give you a rough comparison to Intel P4 speeds however (but it is supposedly based on a comparison to a Tbird cpu). The true speed is 1.53 as you noticed when the bus was at it's proper 133mhz.

By the way, I have that exact same processor so I know you'll be happy with the performance you get from it :)

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
just by having the CPU clocked at its correct speeds at 133fsb and the bios showing you its an athlonXP 1800+ should be enough to show you its real..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
...yeah, it's not like any geek at home can make a CPU. If it works, then it's authentic.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe retail boxed processors include the clock speed in smaller print. But still, the default bus speed for an XP is 133, while the default bus speed for a Socket 462 motherboard is 100, making it necessary in every case to manually set the bus to 133.

His problem was that he thought it should run full speed with a 100MHz system bus, which is simply not true.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Actually everything about what he did was NOT normal!!! :smile:

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
I think everyone is confused at what you are trying to ask, most of them gave you a partial answer. Here's what you need to know...

Your processor has a front side bus which is suppose to be 133 you changed it to 100. The multiplyer for this processor is 11.5 (I think). I don't know why it said it's speed is 1050 when it should be 1150Mhz (100x11.5). The frontside bus multiplied by Multiplyer gives you the processor speed in MHZ. So the speed for your processor is 11.5*133=1529.5 which is around 1.53 since you need to multiply by 133.333333~ you would get 1.53Ghz.

With me so far...

Now you are confisued when it said 1800+ and it's only showing you 1.53Ghz. That's because 1800+ is the PR rating of the processor and 1.53Ghz is the actual clock speed. AMD Introduced this PR Rating to be competative with Intel's Pentium 4, it's working so far, but some customers who don't know about it will get confused and buy the processor thinking they are buying an 1800Mhz processor where it's only 1533Mhz processor.

I hope this helps...

KG